520 Church St. | 12-Story Residential [Under Construction]

orange87

2 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Yeah checked this morning during our power outage, they are all empty now.

What was up with that this morning? I work on the lake and we were out too, probably the same grid as you. However - the power was out at Orlando City Stadium this AM too. Guess someone must have hit something...

15 minutes ago, bqknight said:

What was up with that this morning? I work on the lake and we were out too, probably the same grid as you. However - the power was out at Orlando City Stadium this AM too. Guess someone must have hit something...

A bunch of traffic lights were out on my way to work this morning (down Fern Creek and west on Central), and I have to say that I've never has such a quick commute. Makes you realize all those countries reducing/removing street signs and lights might be on to something. (Probably helps that it was Friday during summer, too.)

• Like 1

They mentioned it on the channel 9 news noon broadcast.

From their website: 

An OUC spokesperson told Channel 9 there was “some type of incident” at a substation in downtown Orlando around 7:45 a.m., sparking about 4,000 outages. 

The main outage area impacted isolated parts of downtown, stretching as far north as the Colonial Drive corridor and as far south as the Parramore neighborhood.

Lake Eola and many of the surrounding downtown businesses were also affected.

OUC did not say what is causing the outages.

7 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

Fair.  The second level entries just don't do anything for me

I figured they were like that because they front right on Michigan. I've never been around to the sides and back, but if it's the same, I would guess it's for continuity's sake.

I get what JFW is saying about not wanting another glass box, but, this specific area needs (in my opinion) an influx of a bunch of people that only a mid rise can deliver.  Once these people are living there, we can potentially expect more commercial activity on the first floors. More residents in SFH's will also come out to shop too, hopefully. We'll see. 

• Like 1

I have no problem with the scale, I just don't think that kind of sleek, modern glass cube architecture fits in well with the brick streets and shady oaks.

I'd like to see the traditional flavor of that old neighborhood preserved more. Less glass and spray on/painted masonry coating, more rough, natural stone and brick, etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

I figured they were like that because they front right on Michigan. I've never been around to the sides and back, but if it's the same, I would guess it's for continuity's sake.

I think it was an attempt by the architect to replicate typical Boston brownstones, where you often enter on the second floor.

24B543AC-8691-4521-AD0F-9581CC69AED9.jpeg

Here's a little bit more about 520 East http://www.multifamilyexecutive.com/design-development/construction/jag-camden-to-co-develop-100m-orlando-high-rise_o?utm_source=newsletter&utm_content=Article&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=MFE_061418+(1)&he

JAG, Camden to Co-Develop $100M Orlando High-Rise CONSTRUCTION June 12, 2018 0 0 0 Multifamily Executive JAG, Camden to Co-Develop $100M Orlando High-Rise LEED Gold, 364-unit, mixed-use Florida project to include 12 retail/live/work studios.

McLean, Va.–based Jefferson Apartment Group (JAG) has joined forces with Houston-based Camden Property Trust to co-develop the 520 East apartment complex, a $100 million project in downtown Orlando, Fla. The 12-story, 364-unit project is the sister property to JAG’s 420 East complex, a $45.5 million, 299-unit community completed last year.

The 520 East residences will feature high-end finishes such as custom-designed cabinetry, quartz countertops, wood flooring, and upgraded fixtures. Amenities include a resort-style swimming pool with sundeck, state-of-the-art fitness center, clubroom, outdoor lounge with multiple grill stations, and 24/7 concierge service. The project will be built and maintained to LEED Gold standards, according to the developers.

The 520 East property will also include an integrated, 630-space parking garage and just under 7,000 square feet of ground retail, including 12 retail/live/work studios. Six of these studios include a lower-level workspace and upstairs apartment.

The complex is located in the heart of Orlando’s Arts District, known for its art galleries and outdoor festivals. Residents will have easy access to dining options and entertainment and sports venues throughout the city.

“The new community will be an exciting development project that will meet the strong demand for housing with proximity to local jobs, recreation, and entertainment in the downtown Orlando market,” Mike Mulhall, a senior vice president and managing partner with JAG, said in a statement.

Edited by Jvest55
  • Like 2