520 Church St. | 12-Story Residential [Under Construction]

orange87

This project is getting more annoying by the month. First, we discover they removed the town-house units from the plans and left the parking garage structure there for all to see, next, they want to do extremely short term rentals because the owner suddenly realized they overbuilt and probably overspent on the project. This kind of "scope creep" should be down right illegal. 

1 hour ago, Jvest55 said:

This project is getting more annoying by the month. First, we discover they removed the town-house units from the plans and left the parking garage structure there for all to see, next, they want to do extremely short term rentals because the owner suddenly realized they overbuilt and probably overspent on the project. This kind of "scope creep" should be down right illegal. 

We're going to see more highrises do the short term deals during lease up. Its just smart economics and doesn't have anything to do with overbuilding.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, ChiDev said:

Any photos of this one lately? would love to know where its at.

All I know is S. Eola Dr is still closed off for it and it’s making me crazy.

If they are indeed going to do to Summerlin next year what they did to Bumby, we need Eola clear ASAP or TP traffic is headed for gridlock.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

If they are indeed going to do to Summerlin next year what they did to Bumby, we need Eola clear ASAP or TP traffic is headed for gridlock.

Tearing up those bricks gonna be a nightmare

• Like 1

On 12/19/2019 at 2:16 PM, spenser1058 said:

Wait what is happening to Summerlin?

14 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

Wait what is happening to Summerlin?

A huge OUC pipe burst and it has to be replaced from about 50 on down, I assume, to where all the Kake Davis/Cherokee improvements were made last year.

It’s supposed to start in 2020. We can only hope all the freakin’ sinks in the bricks will finally get fixed also.

Edited by spenser1058

From what I understand, the 1.5 mile Summerlin water main replacement would begin at Marks and terminate somewhere around South St. But I'd be happy to see it go further south into Lake Davis/Cherokee and have Summerlin in its entirety converted back to brick in the 32801 zip code. From the OS: https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-ne-summerlin-water-line-20181030-story.htmlhttps://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-ne-summerlin-water-line-20181030-story.html

The dips in the brick roads are an added layer of traffic calming -- those in the know practice defensive driving around the hazard areas. Speed demons still zoom over well-maintained bricked roads so I think having the added "benefit" of a pothole in the bricks should jar them to their senses. After another swan was hit and killed at Lake Davis, there are a few people in the neighborhood who are advocating for speed bumps (which are absolutely hideous IMO). I'd be okay with more traffic islands with vegetation.

Edited by nite owℓ

35 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

From what I understand, the 1.5 mile Summerlin water main replacement would begin at Marks and terminate somewhere around South St. But I'd be happy to see it go further south into Lake Davis/Cherokee and have Summerlin in its entirety converted back to brick in the 32801 zip code. From the OS: https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-ne-summerlin-water-line-20181030-story.htmlhttps://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-ne-summerlin-water-line-20181030-story.html

The dips in the brick roads are an added layer of traffic calming -- those in the know practice defensive driving around the hazard areas. Speed demons still zoom over well-maintained bricked roads so I think having the added "benefit" of a pothole in the bricks should jar them to their senses. After another swan was hit and killed at Lake Davis, there are a few people in the neighborhood who are advocating for speed bumps (which are absolutely hideous IMO). I'd be okay with more traffic islands with vegetation.

Sorry, but when you’re going 20mph (5mph under the limit) and it’s still playing hell with your suspension, that dog won’t hunt.

And when traffic on both sides is heavy, “defensive driving” doesn’t get you far. I’m also willing to bet I’ve been driving on Summerlin longer than you have.

The worst part (it barely qualifies as a road anymore) is between Robinson and Central.

Whoever decided to go brick (and initially it was done the cheap way by simply tearing off the asphalt and not fixing the degraded areas, one of Glenda’s sadder ideas to save money) on a stretch where heavy school buses were running 180 days/year should have been fired.

The other stretches I can live with assuming they don’t get worse with construction trucks degrading what exists (assuredly, that challenge in South Eola is about done).

Let’s also remember what a disaster road bikes are on brick but we don’t want to encourage cyclists anyway.... oh wait.

(And no, road bikes don’t belong on the sidewalk).

19 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

I ride my bikes on brick all the time. 28mm tubless rubber and carbon fork are great. 

Interesting- no one I ride with wants anything to do with downtown streets. So much so, in fact, we always leave from elsewhere. (We praised God when Glenda put in the concrete bike lane on Livingston although a gap has developed between the brick and the concrete that can take you down, so it’s not an unalloyed blessing). I’ve also had more flats on brick than on asphalt over the last 20 years or so I’ve been back downtown. Maybe that’s just me, though.

Edited by spenser1058

With old tubes and bike, yeah, now that I have wider carbon rims/fork/frame and tubeless tires, it's like a challenge instead of a hassle. 

Don't get me wrong, sweet butter-smooth pavement like the recently redone Cadyway segment are great and preferred, but I don't shy away from bricks at all anymore. It's more fun and interesting than others for segments. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Sorry, but when you’re going 20mph (5mph under the limit) and it’s still playing hell with your suspension, that dog won’t hunt.

And when traffic on both sides is heavy, “defensive driving” doesn’t get you far. I’m also willing to bet I’ve been driving on Summerlin longer than you have.

The worst part (it barely qualifies as a road anymore) is between Robinson and Central.

Whoever decided to go brick (and initially it was done the cheap way by simply tearing off the asphalt and not fixing the degraded areas, one of Glenda’s sadder ideas to save money) on a stretch where heavy school buses were running 180 days/year should have been fired.

The other stretches I can live with assuming they don’t get worse with construction trucks degrading what exists (assuredly, that challenge in South Eola is about done).

Let’s also remember what a disaster road bikes are on brick but we don’t want to encourage cyclists anyway.... oh wait.

(And no, road bikes don’t belong on the sidewalk).

Of course you've been driving on Summerlin longer than I have - you're a native unicorn. Although, you did say you moved away for a number of years so who knows...:P Regardless, I'm still able to avoid major potholes on Summerlin when traffic is heavy on both sides and traffic is creeping anyway. Whenever I see speeders slam on their brakes when transitioning from asphalt to brick, I know the bricks are doing their job. When drivers are left to their own devices they will always speed and very little is done to enforce speed limits in downtown residential neighborhoods. The toll on my suspension is a small price to pay for having brick and it's one I'm willing to live with. If I ever have to choose between speed bumps or brick pavers -- paint the town in Sherwin Williams #7599!

Living in downtown the brick is nice to look at, from afar, but to drive on it just doesn't make any sense. I don't know how many of you have been to real historic cities, such as London, who hardly even have brick anymore and nobody even cares. Time for Orlando to get over our "historic bricks" and move on to modern times. Ever drive on these brick roads in the pouring rain in rush hour?