520 Church St. | 12-Story Residential [Under Construction]

orange87

3 hours ago, gibby said:

I think it's basically 12 floors along Osceola and 13 floors along Eola because of the grade difference.

yeah...I was wondering because it looks like a pretty substantial grade difference.  Not as much as Aspire was, but if you were on a skateboard, you'd be flyin' down the sidewalk...

new to the site, joined to follow the info and pics from everyone on this project. i'm glad they listened to feedback at the info meeting and pulled the blue plastic sheeting off the fence at church/eola that was blocking visibility.. that intersection is scary enough!

Edited by dwSouthEola
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, dwSouthEola said:

new to the site, joined to follow the info and pics from everyone on this project. i'm glad they listened to feedback at the info meeting and pulled the blue plastic sheeting off the fence at church/eola that was blocking visibility.. that intersection is scary enough!

Glad to have you with us!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dwSouthEola said:

They NEED to make that a 4 way stop. It's horrible. No one knows what to do there and I hear an almost accident nearly everyday. The blue tarp they had made it actually impossible to see people coming. 

• Like 2

At the Abbey info mtg there was an ask for 4-way stops at Church/Osceola & Church/Eola, was there any straight answer why they refuse to place them? I think the side-step was something about the larger downtown plan (made for all of downtown in the 1990s) somehow approved the development without requiring a traffic plan or study. Seems any traffic plan made in the 90s couldn't be relevant to the neighborhood today, or surrounding intersections of this project where the land was rezoned in 2004/14yrs ago.

On 7/31/2018 at 4:44 PM, dwSouthEola said:

At the Abbey info mtg there was an ask for 4-way stops at Church/Osceola & Church/Eola, was there any straight answer why they refuse to place them? I think the side-step was something about the larger downtown plan (made for all of downtown in the 1990s) somehow approved the development without requiring a traffic plan or study. Seems any traffic plan made in the 90s couldn't be relevant to the neighborhood today, or surrounding intersections of this project where the land was rezoned in 2004/14yrs ago.

This intersection is wicked dangerous, somehow cars fly down it too.. on brick roads. 

One reason why they may refute it is by placing a stop sign it creates more traffic and more road noise for residents. If you let cars pass through there's less noise in general (example no bass thumping from a car playing loud music making a stop at a 4 way intersection)  but still, I would like to see a 4 way stop there regardless. 

Edited by Jvest55
typo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Jvest55 said:

This intersection is wicked dangerous, somehow cars fly down it too.. on brick roads. 

One reason why they may refute it is by placing a stop sign it creates more traffic and more road noise for residents. If you let cars pass through there's less noise in general (example no bass thumping from a car playing loud music making a stop at a 4 way intersection)  but still, I would like to see a 4 way stop there regardless. 

Today I made a left turn from Church onto Osceola without stopping as there is no stop sign, and a woman waiting at the stop began yelling at me out of her window as she had started to pull out and assumed that I should have stopped. It is such a confusing and dangerous intersection.

• Like 2

^^

the "good Samaritan" scenario  is a very bad thing because it alters learned behavior and then that can cause a later accident because the affected party expected "good Samaritan" behavior a subsequent time and got a T-bone instead.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jrs2 said:

^^

the "good Samaritan" scenario  is a very bad thing because it alters learned behavior and then that can cause a later accident because the affected party expected "good Samaritan" behavior a subsequent time and got a T-bone instead.

Plus the fact you're never actually being a good samaritan either, because the time it would take for you to stop and allow the other person to go is in fact much more then if you just went and then they got to go behind you.

• Like 2

Saw a pole with some equipment on it, prob doing another study for the requested 4 way stop at Church and Eola Dr

So if you want to see it happen maybe tell everyone you know to drive their car down South Eola Drive and *cross* Church Street since they keep denying it for lack of cross traffic.

image000000.jpg

• Like 1