520 Church St. | 12-Story Residential [Under Construction]

orange87

2 hours ago, Ivanhoe said:

Seems odd they would study the traffic on Eola before 520 is built. Perhaps they’ll factor in the expected increase in residents.

Agreed, a study now will not give realistic results..  and sadly to your 2nd point - not likely.  At my last meeting about this intersection I said the same thing and they refused to accept the increased number of residents/traffic will *without question* surpass their requirements to implement the 4-way stop. They even said that the last study results "were close" to qualifying but kept repeating "there are rules we need to follow and at this time it does not meet our requirements" so that was that.

• Thanks 1

On 8/24/2018 at 1:30 PM, spenser1058 said:

Thanks - while we're in the area, has anyone heard more about the proposed traffic signal at Summerlin and E. Washington? While a signal might be overkill, I thought we might end up with a 4-way stop.

I'm quite okay with that effort getting forgotten about.  I wouldn't mind a 4 way stop but a signal was a horrible idea.

2-way stops in downtown amidst a bunch of 4-way stops just confuses people.  If a road terminates at another road, like a "T" then by all means a 2-way stop is the way to go.  But at a 4-way intersection, that confuses people who think the cross traffic is stopping like they are.  I've almost gotten into an accident at that same intersection at least twice.  Lake Ave has 4-way stops at each of it's intersections, why should this be different when it's only one block over.

3 hours ago, Pieson said:

Vertical!

8FAD5F6C-58AF-457D-92BC-85F77EC5A680.jpeg

view from Sanctuary.  You know what I noticed yesterday...there is not much space between buildings in that corner of downtown; between Star Tower & 420 and 420 & CitiTower.  520 will be close as well.  look how close Sanctuary is to those forms.

• Like 2

On 8/27/2018 at 7:39 PM, jrs2 said:

Lake Ave has 4-way stops at each of it's intersections, why should this be different when it's only one block over.

Right ? I'm glad they're there but how did Lake qualify ? In January Comm. Sheehan said of the request for Church/Eola "A four way stop is not warranted because in order to qualify traffic must be equal in volume as it approaches the intersection, which is not the case." So by that reasoning traffic on Lake exceeds that of Osceola & Eola across Church ? ... and before 420 or Citi went up bc the 4-way was there before both, say it was placed 10yrs ago when Paramount was built ? I have a hard time believing the numbers were there.

I think it's odd anyway, that safety is somehow tied to an equal level of cross traffic. Seems like a requirement that sets us up to fail, simply bc of the huge traffic counts on Church from people going out downtown, daily commuters, etc. (4900 AADT per DDB 2018 retail brochure). When you look at what residents use, Osceola = Post Parkside and 420 Church garage, Paramount and Star Tower both close.. Eola Dr = 530 Central and Jackson garage, with 101 and Sanctuary both close.. it just doesn't add up that they refuse to place stop signs on these two streets. Heck, Eola Dr didn't even have crosswalks until last year and they even made that difficult.

And has anyone else noticed the crosswalk signs at Church/Osceola look like this ? .. on both sides of the road. I requested ROW tree trimming during a meeting July 5th, idk how long it takes to make happen but it just adds to what's going on here.WalkSign.jpg.ff762438ec5e236a38ca1be6c718b813.jpg

• Like 2

22 hours ago, cwetteland said:

Interesting that the view from the Sanctuary is described as "close."  However, when you look at that same column from the CitiTower, it shows that column is pretty well set back from the street.  Suspect there'll more columns set much closer to the street.

yeah. I just looked at that view from CitiTower again.  based on the renderings, there probably will be closer columns to the sidewalk....

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DreS0803 said:

South Eola is going to be very dense! 

When the neighborhood association started up that's what Eola Heights said to us. Whereas some of their strengths are owner occupied single family homes, historic designation and having been established decades ago, our strength is density. Even if only 10% of residents participate in our association we still have the potential to be very successful.

It's exciting to see these buildings go up because it means we'll have more residents, more businesses, and South Eola is really going to establish it's place in the city.. right now it's like nobody's ever heard of South Eola - even people who live here think it's Thornton Park. I don't get it.

• Like 3