520 Church St. | 12-Story Residential [Under Construction]

orange87

Developers do get a little carried away. Two of my favorite "whoppers" are calling an address almost to Goldenrod "Winter Park" or one on Conroy back towards Hiawassee Rd. "Windermere." But then several of our local builders and realtors seem to have attended the same school of ethics as used car salesmen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Developers do get a little carried away. Two of my favorite "whoppers" are calling an address almost to Goldenrod "Winter Park" or one on Conroy back towards Hiawassee Rd. "Windermere." But then several of our local builders and realtors seem to have attended the same school of ethics as used car salesmen.

I rented a house over by Goldenrod & 408 when I first moved to town based on the fact that I was going to be living in "Winter Park" which I had been to when I visited.   I loved Park Ave. and assumed it would be super close to get to.  HAHAHAHAHA!  Wrong!

I was assuming a quick bike ride or a long walk.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I've gotten in heated debates from people who consider Casselberry "Winter Park".  Heck people in Winter Park Pines even know they don't live in WPK. 

Also, my partner's cousin live in "Wintermere" aka Gotha. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

I have friends that live in Unincorporated Orange in the Lake Margaret area who insist they basically still live downtown.  We are not good with boundaries.

I agree. on my urban planning class we were discussing Edges/ Boundaries of Orlando and most people were just listing an array of things like 

"choppy and edgy"

"from Valencia at Kirkman to UCF and from Winter Park to the airport"

"Orlando’s technical city boundary is a super funky upside down U shape with tons of annexes. The only major theme park actually included in Orlando’s city limits is Universal. "

"130 annexed neighborhoods" 

I didn't even know Edgewood was its own town back in the day

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, W7edwin said:

I didn't even know Edgewood was its own town back in the day

Edgewood is still its own town...

5 hours ago, W7edwin said:

my urban planning class

Back in my urban planning days we were discussing growth management plans... if I had presented the map of Orlando as my example I would have failed the class. It is an abomination. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Back in my urban planning days we were discussing growth management plans... if I had presented the map of Orlando as my example I would have failed the class. It is an abomination. 

Although Orlando's scurrilous boundaries confuse folks, there's a relatively simple way to tell where you actually are and it's about 90% accurate: just look at the nearest street sign.

If it has a fountain, it'a Orlando. An  orange, it's OC. A peacock means WP and a water tower or gazebo is WG. Other small towns have been adding icons as well.

Sometimes, one side of the street is one jurisdiction and the other some place else so it's not foolproof. They're getting better about multiple signs for situations like that. It's the quickest way to have an idea where you're at.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RedStar25 said:

I've gotten in heated debates from people who consider Casselberry "Winter Park".  Heck people in Winter Park Pines even know they don't live in WPK. 

If it ain't 32789, it ain't Winter Park!  Fight me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:44 PM, AmIReal said:

oh right they have their own police dep. duh lol

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:15 PM, spenser1058 said:

Although Orlando's scurrilous boundaries confuse folks, there's a relatively simple way to tell where you actually are and it's about 90% accurate: just look at the nearest street sign.

If it has a fountain, it'a Orlando. An  orange, it's OC. A peacock means WP and a water tower or gazebo is WG. Other small towns have been adding icons as well.

Sometimes, one side of the street is one jurisdiction and the other some place else so it's not foolproof. They're getting better about multiple signs for situations like that. It's the quickest way to have an idea where you're at.

and even then people dont notice haha

• Haha 1

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:02 AM, RedStar25 said:

LOL.  I know what you mean.  Oddly enough, I've heard from people that say that Howell Branch Road within a couple of miles east of Semoran is Winter Park.  To their defense, the USPS considers that and Lake Howell Lane WP...

Per someone else, I can see the "Windermere" reference for the Conroy corridor west of Hiawassee.  Because Dr. Phillips is so close to there, and that's so close to Apopka Vineland Rd which more or less is Windermere.

Isn't WP Pines off of Semoran?

3 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

LOL.  I know what you mean.  Oddly enough, I've heard from people that say that Howell Branch Road within a couple of miles east of Semoran is Winter Park.  To their defense, the USPS considers that and Lake Howell Lane WP...

Per someone else, I can see the "Windermere" reference for the Conroy corridor west of Hiawassee.  Because Dr. Phillips is so close to there, and that's so close to Apopka Vineland Rd which more or less is Windermere.

Isn't WP Pines off of Semoran?

Parramore is as close to College Park as Hiawassee is to the Windermere town limits and I wouldn't call Parramore College Park. Sorry that's being a wannabe and it drives me crazy but I concede that's just a pet peeve of mine.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Parramore is as close to College Park as Hiawassee is to the Windermere town limits and I wouldn't call Parramore College Park. Sorry that's being a wannabe and it drives me crazy but I concede that's just a pet peeve of mine.

Agreed, but with Parramore, you have roads cutting off (Westmoreland, for example) and Edgewater Drive (for College Park) at SR 50 which always has heavy traffic, as we know.  I think that creates a sort of "barrier" from the fluidity of connectivity between the two from streets just connecting through; access is constricted.  Conroy, on the other hand, just keeps on going through, light after light, into Windermere area., hassle free.

3 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Agreed, but with Parramore, you have roads cutting off (Westmoreland, for example) and Edgewater Drive (for College Park) at SR 50 which always has heavy traffic, as we know.  I think that creates a sort of "barrier" from the fluidity of connectivity between the two from streets just connecting through; access is constricted.  Conroy, on the other hand, just keeps on going through, light after light, into Windermere area., hassle free.

True enough, but try it the other way. Ask actual residents of Windermere if THEY consider that Windermere? 

It's interesting they don't just call it Florida Center or even MetroWest, which would be more accurate.

9 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

True enough, but try it the other way. Ask actual residents of Windermere if THEY consider that Windermere? 

It's interesting they don't just call it Florida Center or even MetroWest, which would be more accurate.

...or MetroWorst...

No, you're right.  Those that live there don't like it; those that don't, do.

• Like 1

Stop signs will finally be placed at Osceola and Eola Drive !! They should be installed in the next 3 weeks.

This has proven that nothing is easy (and I certainly haven't made many friends in the process) but after asking for 2yrs, having numerous traffic studies done, spending hours in meetings with transportation engineering both at city hall and on site in the neighborhood.. it's all worth it to see our most requested issue get crossed off the list.  While nobody wants to give credit to the neighborhood association for working towards this on behalf of residents the end result is reward enough: Safer streets in South Eola.

4waystop.jpg

• Like 3