How will the Amazon HQ 2 change Nashville?

MagicPotato

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I agree. I think it'll cause us to seriously focus on planning our transit system.  Also, our passenger count for BNA will rise significantly.  Potentially other 2nd/3rd party companies may decide to bring their ideas and business plans here. Which are all good, but then the cities atmosphere may be different  and the traffic will be worst.

Just a list off the top of my head with out any thought. Maybe you guys can add some more

CONS:

Non Stop Construction. Road, utility, building

A housing shortage worse than it already is.

Cost of living increases that will make buying a home or renting an apartment out of site.

Traffic twice as bad as it is now.

Higher hotel rates than they are now as business workers compete with tourist for hotel rooms.

Infrastructure mayhem as Metro tries to keep up.

PROS OR COULD BE CONS:

Higher wages due to shortage of workers.

If you own a home, it will be worth a lot more when you need to sell.

And actually one of my favorite airports. Easy in and easy out. It has flights to the places where I need to go (Chi NYC DC). I don't need to go there often (I can use ATL almost as easily depending on time of day). And getting thru security is a breeze. The people who run it are so nice; I don't need to get there a hour before departure. A half-hour is always enough time. 

There are many positives to a potential amazon move to Nashville, such as a bigger tax base, more flights at the airport, more jobs, increased economic opportunity, city pride, etc. 

Things that I’m wary about:

1. As others have mentioned, it would be a massive culture shock. Say a final sayonara to any non-gentrified parts of the urban core if amazon moves in, for one. 

2. I’m uncomfortable with a private company having that much power in our city, especially one that hires more than twice our city’s current #1 employer. Our city and state governments rarely agree on anything, and I can see a situation where the state gov passes something that Bezos doesn’t like and he basically holds the city hostage, threatening to pull out and cause untold fiscal and prestige damage unless they reverse course. The recent issue in North Carolina was brought to a national news frenzy by the cancellation of a few offices of a couple-hundred workers each, think of the international damage that would be caused by Jeff bezos threatening to pull 50,000 workers out. I’m not making any judgement about our city or state governments or their political agendas (I have many things that I like and dislike that both the city and state governments do), it’s just a fact that many state government elected officials (especially in the south) could care less about their biggest cities. 

If by chance they locate here, the planning, design, and permitting process will have to be streamlined.  Amazon officials  would get very frustrated having to go back in front of all the red tape that is Metro. William and me were talking abouthow fast they move and The Metro rules need to go or be vastly modified.

Oh if you go this many feet, we will give you this height, and if you add some parking we will give you this height. Ridiculous!

It's not the large scale buildings that would grind Nashville's codes employees and process to a halt, it would bring an incredible building boom that would accompany the increase in population.  We're just shy of 20,000 residential units being built in the MSA yearly now.  Amazon creating 50,000 jobs within five years would also bring at least another 50,000 spinoff jobs over a similar time frame. Of course, that's just the jobs themselves. Many of those jobs will be filled with people who will have family.  In the end, I could see us building an additional 10-15,000 residential units annually over a ten year period above what we are doing now.  Metro Codes can barely keep up at this point, let alone a 50% increase in the number of permits being pulled.

10 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

If by chance they locate here, the planning, design, and permitting process will have to be streamlined.  Amazon officials  would get very frustrated having to go back in front of all the red tape that is Metro. William and me were talking abouthow fast they move and The Metro rules need to go or be vastly modified.

Oh if you go this many feet, we will give you this height, and if you add some parking we will give you this height. Ridiculous!

I've heard this said, that Metro's approval process is burdensome, yet we don't seem to be losing any development because of it.  And if anyone could deal with it I'd think a huge company like Amazon would have the least trouble.

Archived