Could ATL ever host another Olympics?

ironchapman

34 members have voted

1. 1. Could ATL ever host another Olympics?

• Yes-With all the proper preparations, sponsors, etc.
    • No-We could never host another one
    • Maybe-We'll just have to see

I'm going to try this poll again. Hopefully, this time it'll fare better.

I voted yes. Aside from the Opening Day bombing (1 dead, 100 injured) and the transportation problems (which could be expected in ATL), I think the games went rather well.

It won't be any time soon, maybe 30-50 years from now.

NOTE: If you read the previous poll on this I tried...could we try to be a little more civil to each other this time?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I promise this thread will be more civil, and on topic, or it will be closed too.

Now- I think Atlanta could do it. It wouldn't be for 50 years or so like ironchapman said, but I believe it can happen. What are some other cities that have had the olympics twice?

There aren't too many. I think Nagasaki has had it twice.

On Paris:

Yes Spartan, you're right in terms of summer Olympics. My guess is that it will get the games.

The IOC likes to wait awhile before they choose a city to host for a second time.

On the Winter Olympics:

I'll get back to you. I have a small book of facts and lists with the Olympic city hosts for both types of Olympics.

NYC is in the running, but it has never gotten it before. I also wonder if the city has room for the facilities.

I'd like to see Chicago get it sometime. JAX could probably host...if they get organized enough. They have plenty of room.

Interesting Factoid:

-Atlanta was the first city to win the Olympics on its first bid.

Anyone else have an opinion on if ATL should host another?

I think the Olympics as a whole are going downhill. As the years pass you can really see that people around the world have lost interest in the events and it is a shame. I think that Atlanta could host in the future, but I voted no because I don't think the Olympics can be supported for a long enough time for it to come back to Atlanta.

Ah. So if Paris gets 2008 it will be a first for any city to get it 3 times? I know we're talkign about summer olympics, but I meant any city ever.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Beijing is already hosting the 2008 Olympics, I think Paris and NY are going after the 2012 games.

As far as Atlanta ever hosting the Olympics again, I think it could be possible. If NYC gets the 2012 games though, it would probably be another 3-4 Olympics before they came back to the U.S. That would put it somewhere in the 2028 range. So I voted maybe, there are to many things that can happening in the world to predict what can happen that far in the future. Plus, I would imagine a few other American cities would be going after it as well.

I don't see why - Atlanta for one was very fortunate to have been selected. But the future is a long time, so maybe in the year 2346. But in all honesty - it was exciting & i enjoyed my time, but it could have been managed / funded better...

ATL was probably one of the smallest cities to hsot the Olympics.

For its size, it was able to pull them off well.

I agree teshadoh, it could have been funded better.

At least it gave us some benefits, such as more international recognition and Turner Field.

I think the Olympics as a whole are going downhill. As the years pass you can really see that people around the world have lost interest in the events and it is a shame. I think that Atlanta could host in the future, but I voted no because I don't think the Olympics can be supported for a long enough time for it to come back to Atlanta.

Neo, what did you mean by the Olympics are going downhill. Is it the overcommercialization? What else?

I thought Sydney did a good job with them.

Neo, what did you mean by the Olympics are going downhill. Is it the overcommercialization? What else?

It is a combination of a lot of things. I think the entire world, for the most part, is being overcommercialized. We also live in a new kind of world where terrorism threats abound and what grander target than the Olympics? You must have heard about the poor ratings in the last summer Olympics, yes? There were a few events that were crowd pleasers, but did you notice all of the empty seats and bleachers for many of the events? For instance I believe it was the kayaking events that they had built bleachers for but you could barely tell there was anyone watching the event.

I can't put my finger on one thing that is going downhill in regards to the Olympics, but it's definately clear to see that they're not what they once were and people in general could care less about them.

SLC = Salt Lake City.

But Spartan - cities that host the Winter Olympics don't really count - Salt Lake City was actually one of the larger cities to host a winter olympics. Most often it's not neccessarily a city - Lake Placid, NY.

I agree with Neo the Olympics are in bad decline than where they were before the Cold War ended. They are nothing but a tool now for the corporations to milk hundreds of millions out of the host cities and their taxpayers, there are product placements everywhere, and its all about getting endorsements by the players.

The last really great olympics in the USA were the 1984 summer games in Los Angeles. They have really declined since then.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think ATL will ever host the games again.

The IOC has made it pretty clear that they thought they were the worst games ever, logistically.

And, especially, since ATL made things up/exaggerated things about the city to get the games (heat/humidity, crime rate, transportation capabilities)...I don't think they will get them because of that (making things up). No one would believe them.

I think it's sad because I took pride that a Southern city was hosting the games.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived