JANAF Mixed Use Development

vdogg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://southsidedaily.com/business/2018/01/30/a-complete-transformation-is-coming-to-janaf-area-says-new-owner-city/

Wow, this is far more detailed than I originally thought.

"The sale of JANAF closed on Jan. 18, and Wheeler says he met with the city’s office of economic development only four days later to “offer the city a permanent easement for light rail that would run right down the middle of JANAF.” Wheeler hopes that easement will make light rail extension though JANAF the easiest path for the city.

Hampton Roads Transit supports the city’s general plan for the Military Highway/Military Circle corridor. Ray Amoruso, chief planning and development officer for Hampton Roads Transit, admitted in a December 2016 letter that, although HRT supports the city’s plan, “moving studies forward for light rail extension will need to inspire residents, property owners, developers, and city leaders.”

Wheeler appears to already be inspired and is laying the groundwork to redevelop JANAF if light rail comes, whenever that may be. He admits that this is a long-term project.

“The next year will be spent creating a master plan for JANAF, meeting with designers, and architects,” says Wheeler. Shoppers and tenants won’t notice much change to the landscape during that time. That is when Wheeler anticipates the designs and appropriate permits being in place for the initial phases of JANAF’s redevelopment to begin.

Wheeler also says that anchor tenant leases with ‘”no-build” clauses stipulations that restrict construction in JANAF’s parking lots — will eventually expire, freeing Wheeler to develop the vast parking lots at JANAF. That should happen over the next “two to four years,” says Wheeler, “and that is when you will really start to notice changes at JANAF.”"

Sorry about the formatting issues. Having some trouble cutting and pasting this one from the phone.

https://southsidedaily.com/business/2018/01/30/a-complete-transformation-is-coming-to-janaf-area-says-new-owner-city/
Wow, this is far more detailed than I originally thought.
"The sale of JANAF closed on Jan. 18, and Wheeler says he met with the city’s office of economic development only four days later to “offer the city a permanent easement for light rail that would run right down the middle of JANAF.” Wheeler hopes that easement will make light rail extension though JANAF the easiest path for the city.

Hampton Roads Transit supports the city’s general plan for the Military Highway/Military Circle corridor. Ray Amoruso, chief planning and development officer for Hampton Roads Transit, admitted in a December 2016 letter that, although HRT supports the city’s plan, “moving studies forward for light rail extension will need to inspire residents, property owners, developers, and city leaders.”

Wheeler appears to already be inspired and is laying the groundwork to redevelop JANAF if light rail comes, whenever that may be. He admits that this is a long-term project.

“The next year will be spent creating a master plan for JANAF, meeting with designers, and architects,” says Wheeler. Shoppers and tenants won’t notice much change to the landscape during that time. That is when Wheeler anticipates the designs and appropriate permits being in place for the initial phases of JANAF’s redevelopment to begin.

Wheeler also says that anchor tenant leases with ‘”no-build” clauses stipulations that restrict construction in JANAF’s parking lots — will eventually expire, freeing Wheeler to develop the vast parking lots at JANAF. That should happen over the next “two to four years,” says Wheeler, “and that is when you will really start to notice changes at JANAF.”"

Sorry about the formatting issues. Having some trouble cutting and pasting this one from the phone.

Let's hope the vision is better than Broad Creek

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

it wont change anytime soon

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:48 AM, vdogg said:

How many times have we been told some project is going to be urban then turns into a suburban development. That  was my point with broad creek

Well. Lol. I was under the impression from the article in the Pilot that the developer was going to drain the swamp.  I read something about possibly residential there as well as retail.

What I would like to see is a high rise mall followed up by mid rise residential and Class A office space out there.

I think Janaf could be a Norfolk Town Center, is basically what I am saying.  Or at the very least a Norfolk Peninsula Town Center.  

Of course you still have the eye sore of Military Mall, which, you do have two large employers out there but I think the city should kick everyone out and just go wall to wall business out there.  Who else is getting sales other than Ross out there?  And that is probably just Christmas.  The Food Court is hanging on for dear life there are only two tenants left in the court and if you close the movie theater all bets are off.  I love the mall but I've seen this play out again and again in other cities just put it out of its misery already. It is the right thing to do.

Archived