Vertical Medical City | 40-Story Medical High Rise [Proposed]

orange87

38 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Actually, I think the Wellness feature is to let the seniors walk up and down all those stairs. "That which does not kill us makes us stronger!" (Ponders being eligible for Social Security in two years...)

I will never hear this song the same way again.

Edited by Ivanhoe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm just thinking that if I was an old fart, or let's just say, an older fart, and I needed to live in assisted living, I'd want it named something serine like "Happy Meadows" or something grand like "The Winchester:" not something terminal like "Vertical Medical City."  It's got assisted living, hospice, critical care .... but they don't mention the Soylent Green factory in the basement.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I went to the OBJ webpage today and saw a link to "Vertical Medical City Opening Downtown 2023". It appeared to be an ad although it didn't say that. I then clicked on it and got, "Error 404 Page Not Found". That seemed entirely appropriate for such an enterprise.

Of course, if it was an ad, it explains a lot of OBJ's unbridled enthusiasm for the project.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

So I went to the OBJ webpage today and saw a link to "Vertical Medical City Opening Downtown 2023". It appeared to be an ad although it didn't say that. I then clicked on it and got, "Error 404 Page Not Found". That seemed entirely appropriate for such an enterprise.

Of course, if it was an ad, it explains a lot of OBJ's unbridled enthusiasm for the project.

You don't see why people would be enthusiastic about three towers, two of which would be vastly taller than anything else in Orlando, and it would be right next to I-4 no less?

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 5:35 PM, orange87 said:

You don't see why people would be enthusiastic about three towers, two of which would be vastly taller than anything else in Orlando, and it would be right next to I-4 no less?

yeah...but that's not what he was talking about...

he thinks that the people pitching this snake oil deal… [end of incomplete sentence, but presumptively complete b/c point was made in the first half of it]

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 5:53 PM, spenser1058 said:

People get excited about all kinds of things here, from Glenn Turner's KosCoT to the Orlando World Trade Center to a 7-star hotel on International Drive to Tradition Towers. 

I did the due diligence OBJ never bothered to do and found more holes in this project than a block of Swiss cheese. Given the questionable Vegas background of some of the principals they've touted along the way, maybe they'll roll the dice and surprise me. I don't expect that's what will happen, though.

^^  um, what you said, and did, and thought, I heretofore also thought (sans doing the due diligence, of course (I leave that to the experts)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

VMC submitted a new FAA height review request for a different parcel of land near Lake Ivanhoe in late August. This is the empty lot at Garland and Orange just south of the Gateway Center and DoubleTree and adjacent to the SunRail tracks. 

28° 33' 28.11" N, 81° 22' 46.03" W

Building height listed as 454' in review request. 

VMC FAA new site.jpg

VMC FAA new site Aerial.jpg

Edited by dcluley98
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Before this one floats away into nothingness, it's going to take the prize for most location changes since the World Trade Center Orlando (which, as predicted, was never built.)

While I don't disagree with you, they allegedly now have a contract on the land, allegedly, which would presumably be with some sort of deposit (likely refundable), before it was literally nothing.

• Thanks 1

Agree. I'll believe it when I see it. It's telling that the Sentinel (and its flagship paper, the Chicago Tribune) have been quiet on this and the corresponding IL project since back in February. Only OBJ is breathless about this, just as they were on the 7-star resort.

Also, is it significant that Ponte Health seems to have a Facebook page instead of a website? 

• Like 1

Just now, dcluley98 said:

Which parcel?

Presumably the new FAA request? I think OBJ said they were closing on it by the end of the year. I still wouldn't hold your breath.

Just now, dcluley98 said:

They have a website. It is just a small site that has their other architectural projects which were minor fit-out and MOB designs. Not spectacular, but they have one with their own domain name and everything!

https://www.pontehealth.com/

OMG THAT WEBSITE IS AMAZING!!! I ALSO DIDN'T KNOW THEY WERE INTERNATIONAL AND HAD 5 LOCATIONS WITH THEIR HQ RIGHT HERE IN ORLANDO. ALTHOUGH THEY AREN'T QUITE BIG ENOUGH YET TO GET AN EMAIL ADDRESS @THEDOMAIN YET AND STILL HAVE TO USE ICLOUD. OR BIG ENOUGH TO KNOW WHERE THE CAPS LOCK KEY IS AND HOW TO TURN THIS OFF.

• Haha 1

Well, I'm convinced. This leads me to believe all the local news stations should redo their backdrops today with the planned new building!

I might add the quality of that site is quite similar to that of WTC Orlando (which is what first made me dubious about that doomed project.)

Seriously, though, you mentioned the developer earlier. Ponte Health is an architect. We're you referring to the Vegas firm as the developer?

Edited by spenser1058