Vertical Medical City | 40-Story Medical High Rise [Proposed]

orange87

10 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Spenser, who you asking? 

I thought you had mentioned the developer in a previous post. I know the Vegas firm (which has all kinds of issues out West) is supposedly named as a contractor, but I hadn't seen a specific developer yet (especially from a source I trust.)

14 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I thought you had mentioned the developer in a previous post. I know the Vegas firm (which has all kinds of issues out West) is supposedly named as a contractor, but I hadn't seen a specific developer yet (especially from a source I trust.)

Nope, I mentioned developers of Zoi house, in that thread. Both of which actually exist. I am just as skeptical as you all on PonteHealth. It's just an architect with a dream at this point until they announce a real developer and actually have financial backing to buy a site and build. They do have a contractor, Tutor Perini Corp. on board for pre-con supposedly. That is likely just a low dollar fee to work with them to develop concepts at this point, or a handshake for some free work in exchange for a promise of the actual construction contract if and when it goes forward.  

Edited by dcluley98
  • Thanks 2

Well if this project were to materialize and apparently that's a big 'if',  I wish it were going to happen on the site further south next to I-4 and between Jefferson and  Washingnton streets that was originally stated.  That would  make for a much better location for  our 'next tallest building'- it would fill a hole in the skyline  very nicely there and be situated between and among our 3 tallest structures currently.  The newest site over by Lake Ivanhoe is certaionly a fine spot since it would be visible and in the vincinity of at least a few mid rise structues it just doesn't seem that it would be ideal to have the tallest of all of our skyscrapper to be pushed so far off center.  Just my opinion and not from a professional planner perspective but from an overall skyline form perspective.

3 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

VMC submitted a new FAA height review request for a different parcel of land near Lake Ivanhoe in late August. This is the empty lot at Garland and Orange just south of the Gateway Center and DoubleTree and adjacent to the SunRail tracks. 

28° 33' 28.11" N, 81° 22' 46.03" W

Building height listed as 454' in review request. 

VMC FAA new site.jpg

VMC FAA new site Aerial.jpg

I like the location better of a project like this what I don't understand though is dropping the Height by 100 feet for whatever reason

• Like 1

1 hour ago, otowntiger said:

Well if this project were to materialize and apparently that's a big 'if',  I wish it were going to happen on the site further south next to I-4 and between Jefferson and  Washingnton streets that was originally stated.  That would  make for a much better location for  our 'next tallest building'- it would fill a hole in the skyline  very nicely there and be situated between and among our 3 tallest structures currently.  The newest site over by Lake Ivanhoe is certaionly a fine spot since it would be visible and in the vincinity of at least a few mid rise structues it just doesn't seem that it would be ideal to have the tallest of all of our skyscrapper to be pushed so far off center.  Just my opinion and not from a professional planner perspective but from an overall skyline form perspective.

I suppose Lake Ivanhoe would be somewhat more desirable for a vertical nursing home than the CBD. The mini-skyline of Lake Ivanhoe could certainly use an update (not that I think this is it).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, otowntiger said:

First - glad to have you with us. Welcome!

I'd also prefer such a project downtown , except as I mentioned previously there's a problem with the downtown spot.

You'd have elderly folks, many quite ill, cheek by jowl with the rowdy party animals of the Orange Ave. bar district until well after 2am. That strikes me as a recipe for disaster.

• 2 months later...
56 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Nice new rendering.....

VMC-crop2.png

The website that posted it is also quite interesting. Unlike most sites, it (nor its sister publications) doesn’t seem to have an “About Us” blurb giving us its bona fides and a quick Google search didn’t seem to yield much info, either. Their address in Oviedo is also a bit odd for a business publication.

I continue to be fascinated by how everything to do with this project seems to float in the ether just beyond the realm of verification.

Also, announcing the FAA approved a project that’s three feet taller than what already exists? That seems like a non-story, especially for a project that first hit the news as 70 stories.

As Clara Peller would have cried, “Where’s the Beef?”

Edited by spenser1058
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DreS0803 said:

Not a terrible height tho. If legit, with Zoi House, X Orlando, This & MEC. Orlando’s skyline will forever be changed! 

I’d certainly take it if it’s real. Heaven knows God’s Skyscraper took 20 years but at least there was concrete on the site. VMC seems to be our first “virtual highrise”.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, DreS0803 said:

Not a terrible height tho. If legit, with Zoi House, X Orlando, This & MEC. Orlando’s skyline will forever be changed! 

At very least, this development and MEC would help to pull some of the density of downtown away from Orange and give it more depth from the western and southern angles. Doesnt seem like a sure bet at this point.

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Unlike most sites, it (nor its sister publications) doesn’t seem to have an “About Us” blurb giving us its bona fides

They don't really have any bona fides, but they basically do what they say they do- provide information relevant to central Florida health care providers. They don't do reporting. They pretty much just pass along re-written press releases (kinda like OBJ). Medical News is a franchise with a few other markets around the US.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Also, announcing the FAA approved a project that’s three feet taller than what already exists? That seems like a non-story, especially for a project that first hit the news as 70 stories.

Wasn't the 70 story a news media mistake based on her "proposing" this in Chicago?

36 minutes ago, aent said:

Wasn't the 70 story a news media mistake based on her "proposing" this in Chicago?

Even if it were, that was just careless PR on her part in the release. Yet another part of the amateur-hour nature of this whole project..

Having worked with the press on releases like this in my political days, one knows better than to just pop a release out there.

A more professional outfit would have guided the press by the hand in advance to make sure there was no error. But then again nothing about this has ever been professional. 

Sorry, they don’t get off the hook on that.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dcluley98 said:

The rendering is incorrect. They changed the site to the empty lot on North Orange south of Garland. 

Here is the official FAA approval along with the correct site location: 

https://img.pr.com/release-file/1812/772986/letter_393027946.pdf

In case anyone besides me was having a hard time placing that.  It's wayyyyy uptown...

vmclocation.PNG

• Thanks 1