Vertical Medical City | 40-Story Medical High Rise [Proposed]

orange87

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Even if it were, that was just careless PR on her part in the release. Yet another part of the amateur-hour nature of this whole project..

Having worked with the press on releases like this in my political days, one knows better than to just pop a release out there.

A more professional outfit would have guided the press by the hand in advance to make sure there was no error. But then again nothing about this has ever been professional. 

Sorry, they don’t get off the hook on that.

lol, it all depends on the reporter you get writing the story, I've personally experienced bad reporters completely misquoting me, even when I told them, wrote it down for them, etc... (nothing of consequence and the need to pump out stories was their argument)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cwetteland said:

I'm an urban fabric activity myself, but to address the previous post about uptown; what am I missing.  I thought we were discussing VMC, which in all the renderings is filling the gap between mid-town (court house) and downtown.  

We rolled over pages, but my last post on the previous page....

I took the coordinates from the FAA approval letter (which are in degrees minutes and seconds, damn aviators), converted them into decimal, stuck them into google, and then cross referenced with the Property Appraiser to show that the location has apparently moved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyPok1 said:

We rolled over pages, but my last post on the previous page....

I took the coordinates from the FAA approval letter (which are in degrees minutes and seconds, damn aviators), converted them into decimal, stuck them into google, and then cross referenced with the Property Appraiser to show that the location has apparently moved.

You also could have just gone here.... https://www.latlong.net , zoomed the map into the northern end of downtown, dropped a pin on the parcel in question....

Screenshot-Capture-2018-12-23-19-04-45-1

...then compared the coordinates to the ones shown in the FAA pdf file...

Screenshot-Capture-2018-12-23-18-58-55-9

• Like 1

Unlike Andy, I do care about a skyline, especially a recognizable one. I don’t think this building does much for Orlando’s skyline. I’m all for a high rise but it’s gonna stick out like a sore thumb if the posted locations are indeed correct. The VMC that far from the CBD will sort of look like the I-4 Eyesore: strange looking and totally out of place. I still have my doubts that VMC will ever become a reality (although I’m not as skeptical as some here) but if it does, I think it makes more sense a little closer to downtown and not uptown, which is nominal only and doesn’t really exist.

1 hour ago, Uncommon said:

Unlike Andy, I do care about a skyline, especially a recognizable one. I don’t think this building does much for Orlando’s skyline. I’m all for a high rise but it’s gonna stick out like a sore thumb if the posted locations are indeed correct. The VMC that far from the CBD will sort of look like the I-4 Eyesore: strange looking and totally out of place. I still have my doubts that VMC will ever become a reality (although I’m not as skeptical as some here) but if it does, I think it makes more sense a little closer to downtown and not uptown, which is nominal only and doesn’t really exist.

The template laid out by the Frederick administration (which still appears to be the basis Buddy’s staff is working by) is that vertical growth moves toward uptown.

That preserves the intown neighborhoods and the political detente in Parramore.

The Great Recession messed everything up in that, for several years into the recovery, it seems lenders were unwilling to support high rises and the area filled in with a number of mid rise stubbies.

I still believe the original plan was the correct one.

As Uncommon notes, I am extremely skeptical this project ever happens. The movers and shakers supposedly behind it have acted more like the shysters behind the Orlando World Trade Center and I-Drive’s infamous “7-star resort” than as successful developers like Lincoln who actually get things built downtown.

If I have misread the situation and it proceeds, I still question plopping a project geared toward seniors who in many cases will be there 24/7 into the core cheek by jowl with the bar district on one side and college students on the other (not to mention that the latter are likely to be going regularly into the former late into the evening, but I’ll let Andy opine on that <g>).

If this thing is going to happen (and if Vegas offers wagers on such things occurring, I’d feel safe placing my money against the idea), it almost has to go uptown.

In fact, it would have made infinitely more sense to go somewhere closer to South Eola, working in tandem with a similar existing facility, the Lutheran Towers complex.

That’s the other issue I have (among many): no one associated with this seems to have any notion of the facts on the ground in downtown Orlando. Instead, I’ve gotten the feeling all along someone sitting in  Chicago fired up the computer and miraculously came up with a solution in search of a problem. From the beginning, the ties to the community have been absent.

Edited by spenser1058

Another precinct we really haven’t heard from: Advent Health (I’m getting a head start on the new name) and, more broadly, the Seventh Day Adventist Church.

They fought tooth and nail against Nemours coming into the market and have fought over the years to protect their turf.

What’s interesting in this case is that, not only do they have the medical background to do something like this, the Church has also done social outreach in the region.

Whether it be senior housing (like Hillcrest-Hampton House and garden-type complexes, both in Colonialtown) or schools and camps (such as Forest Lake Academy), this would seem to be right in their wheelhouse.

Further, doing something for seniors on their campus (perhaps overlooking Lake Estelle) seems to make more sense than a crowded urban block.

I wonder if they’ll eventually weigh in on all this.

7 minutes ago, cwetteland said:

Didn't that site have subsurface pollution issues?  Was it a brownfield site?  I could be wrong.

It was the former site of a car dealership. Not positive, but I'm pretty sure it was a Massey Cadillac.

I used to pop into the service dept repair shop when I was up that way riding my bike on hot days because just inside the door, they had the coldest drinking fountain in town. Seriously. If you were hot and thirsty, it was like a stream of heaven.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

It was the former site of a car dealership. Not positive, but I'm pretty sure it was a Massey Cadillac.

I used to pop into the service dept repair shop when I was up that way riding my bike on hot days because just inside the door, they had the coldest drinking fountain in town. Seriously. If you were hot and thirsty, it was like a stream of heaven.

That would have been McKellar Cadillac, which became McKellar-Braun. They moved out on JYP and became just Braun, then Massey.

After Braun left uptown, it was briefly the infamous Bob Dance Jeep Eagle (“Where Everybody Rides”) until they moved out on West Colonial. Then the building was demolished.

Yes, I have the world’s greatest store of useless information...

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Uncommon said:

To be clear, I'm not anti skyline.  If I could ever find a nice panorama of Youngstown, I've always had the intention of having a whole wall of the various skylines where I've lived.  Just it's a secondary concern to me.  Agreed about sticking out though.  That was my biggest complaint with the Devon Energy Center in OKC.  It's 350 feet taller than the next tallest building.  It looks horrible for that reason IMO

• Like 3

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

If I have misread the situation and it proceeds, I still question plopping a project geared toward seniors who in many cases will be there 24/7 into the core cheek by jowl with the bar district on one side and college students on the other (not to mention that the latter are likely to be going regularly into the former late into the evening, but I’ll let Andy opine on that <g>).

If this thing is going to happen (and if Vegas offers wagers on such things occurring, I’d feel safe placing my money against the idea), it almost has to go uptown.

Didn’t see it before but after your post I agree 100%. Wasn’t thinking about the function of the high-rise as much as that it was a high-rise. I sometimes forget developers don’t simply build tall buildings to please skyline fanatics lol.

• Like 1

That makes me wonder about VMC.  I'm not at all against it being 400'+ but why that height.  if they found double the land at a lower cost, would they lower the height.  It's my understanding that building cost go up as height goes up.  Is it a bragging rights thing or a PR thing.  I guess they couldn't call it VMC if it were a 10 story campus.

• Like 1

That would have been McKellar Cadillac, which became McKellar-Braun. They moved out on JYP and became just Braun, then Massey.
After Braun left uptown, it was briefly the infamous Bob Dance Jeep Eagle (“Where Everybody Rides”) until they moved out on West Colonial. Then the building was demolished.
Yes, I have the world’s greatest store of useless information...

Props for remembering the barely-a-blip Eagle brand. [emoji1659]
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, orlandoguy said:

Props for remembering the barely-a-blip Eagle brand. emoji1659.png

JRS2 and Dale will be shocked but this wild-eyed liberal is a big NASCAR fan and a student of all things Detroit (even if Ford is abandoning me as a customer ‘cuz no matter what they say, CUV’s still drive like an oversized orange crate).

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

JRS2 and Dale will be shocked but this wild-eyed liberal is a big NASCAR fan and a student of all things Detroit (even if Ford is abandoning me as a customer ‘cuz no matter what they say, CUV’s still drive like an oversized orange crate).

Ugh. Ford is irking me with that move. 

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 3:07 PM, spenser1058 said:

...you should check out DIS if you can (Daytona Intl Speedway) at the next big race.  They way they concreted the Citrus Bowl from how it was, ditto at DIS; a very parallel improvement, except they added 4-10 elevators and 40 escalators.  Also, club seating etc...

40+ escalators?  that's kind of nuts when you think about it.  What project has 40 + escalators?

• Like 1