Vertical Medical City | 40-Story Medical High Rise [Proposed]

orange87

40 minutes ago, orange87 said:

57485281_2104121453220060_4868465628970745856_o.jpg

I actually don't hate this design. It at least has significant height and some actual depth to the facade. I'm just glad I moved out of Uptown Place- I had a condo on the 5th floor facing Lake Concord and would be TICKED if this thing was my new view.

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Say it ain’t so! That’s what we boys came out to in the ‘70’s!

the video is cool.  but you really get a feel for their personalities if you watch that move Can't Stop the Music with Steve Guttenberg, Bruce (Kaitlin) Jenner and Valerie Perrine.  A great fun movie.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Uncommon said:

That’s not the same rendering that was released yesterday, is it? Looks totally different. Plus, yesterday’s was 2 buildings. Where did these renderings come from?

It's a different angle of the same building. The rendering on the previous page is looking from east to west, this is looking from north to south, toward downtown. 

15 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

It's a different angle of the same building. The rendering on the previous page is looking from east to west, this is looking from north to south, toward downtown. 

This statement does not seem accurate at least not as far as it being the same building. Somehow I know that it does look like a completely different rendering and different building because this latest rendering makes the curved part taller when in the older enduring there was a taller part on side of the curved part and that no longer shows in this latest rendering which makes it look like a completely different building in my opinion

7 minutes ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

This statement does not seem accurate at least not as far as it being the same building. Somehow I know that it does look like a completely different rendering and different building because this latest rendering makes the curved part taller when in the older enduring there was a taller part on side of the curved part and that no longer shows in this latest rendering which makes it look like a completely different building in my opinion

Couldn't be more obvious to me that they are the same building seen from different angles...

8D735DCB-A70B-41C2-BB84-2200BCAC921D.thu

57485281_2104121453220060_48684656289707

...but to each his own, as the saying goes. :dontknow:

• Like 3

Now that I see the 2 renderings side by side, it is the same building. The first image looked like 2 buildings when I first saw it, but I now realize it’s a single building with a wrap around. Pretty ugly in my opinion but it doesn’t really matter considering this has low probability of being built at all, much less as is.

• Like 4

Permit Number: MPL2019-10023
Project: Vertical Medical City
Address: 1000 N ORANGE AVE Orlando FL
Description: Master Plan with Modifications to allow a mixed use, high-rise (ALF, office, ground floor retail) and associated parking.
Application Status: Open
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Jernigan said:
Permit Number: MPL2019-10023
Project: Vertical Medical City
Address: 1000 N ORANGE AVE Orlando FL
Description: Master Plan with Modifications to allow a mixed use, high-rise (ALF, office, ground floor retail) and associated parking.
Application Status: Open

So what does this mean? Does this add legitimacy to the project? Or can any schmuck apply and have a permit number without repercussion if he or she breaks it?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

So what does this mean? Does this add legitimacy to the project? Or can any schmuck apply and have a permit number without repercussion if he or she breaks it?

Yeah, but you have to pay for it, and it has an expiration date, so it does add some legitimacy. I still don't believe it will happen, but the odds did go up very slightly.

1 hour ago, Uncommon said:

50 minutes ago, aent said:

Yeah, but you have to pay for it, and it has an expiration date, so it does add some legitimacy. I still don't believe it will happen, but the odds did go up very slightly.

I’m not sure that they’ve had to pay for anything yet to the city until they pick up an issued permit.   

I posted just as an FYI but to me it does give a paper trail.   And of course if they do make payments we will be able to see it.  That was one of the things that made me feel good about Church Street Plaza.

That said, things like Orlando Central Tower did the same thing but never intended on constructing.  They wanted to show proof of concept basically when shopping the lot.   This case is different and we have no way of knowing their scheme at this point.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Also note that this is for "Master Plan review" not building permit. 

Not sure if they could apply for a building permit as they do not own the property. 

If they have permission from the property owner, I'm pretty sure they can.

I'm guessing that the permit number got assigned up front and will follow the project through either to completion or whatever point it gets to before it falls through.

They are actually doing a lot of the correct things in planning and approval process, have Architects/Engineers (JACOBS, Silverman Trykowski Associates, and others) on board and are seeking right permits and FAA approval, which are long process that need to happen before final design could be made. It is in conceptual development still, and will need to be refined and formally designed through the MPB/ARB and plan review process to get to the "real" stage.  JACOBS seems to be driving the sudden new direction of creating an actual plan. JACOBS is one of the largest, if not THE largest multi-national AEC firms in the world. 

I just think they lack funding. It seems to be a solid development plan that needs financing on board for it to actually happen. This is not out of the ordinary and happens all the time in construction projects. There are a number of ways to get financing, and they are fishing for funds. (see the previous articles about selling naming rights and seeking partners). 

There was quite an interesting story on GrowthSpotter about their dealings in looking at the other property on Jefferson Street and it all seemed kind of fly-by-night, but could be better now that a real developer is leading the process. https://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-tabitha-ponte-downtown-orlando-medical-tower-20180207-story.html

"Ponte is reliant on finding equity partners to move the project forward, which she said would "fund land acquisition and all the leg work, architecture, engineering design and more to materialize the project on some kind of reasonable timeline, preferably in seven to eight years." 

Ponte said a "major health system" had stepped forward with intent to lease one of the three medical towers and operate emergency and surgical operations, but declined to name the company.

Orlando Health spokeswoman Kena Lewis said Tuesday her company is not involved with Ponte's proposed development, and has not been approached. Ponte Health has asserted work with Orlando Health in the past.

A spokesman for Florida Hospital said the company is also not involved in the project, or negotiating with Ponte to participate." 

Edited by dcluley98

On 4/18/2019 at 12:25 PM, shardoon said:

From that angle coming down I4, I think it looks pretty good. It is nice in fill and I think works well there.  Not everything needs to be 40 stories tall.  It is also a much more realistic proposal, so not as pie in the sky as before. 

true, on a side note, the problem is that there isn't ANY building in this stinkin' town that's 40 stories, and all the tall proposals keep getting cut (not that this was a realistic proposal)...

Ponte might as well team up with Orlando Lutheran Towers. They have been talking about a $30M+ renovation & expansion of their downtown assisted living facility for years, yet nothing has come of it. Instead of trying to reinvent the wheel maybe she should consider teaming up with those who can actually get approved for financing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

Ponte might as well team up with Orlando Lutheran Towers. They have been talking about a $30M+ renovation & expansion of their downtown assisted living facility for years, yet nothing has come of it. Instead of trying to reinvent the wheel maybe she should consider teaming up with those who can actually get approved for financing.

Thank you! I always wondered about that, not to mention the fact the location is a heckuva lot more senior-friendly.