Vertical Medical City | 40-Story Medical High Rise [Proposed]

orange87

1 minute ago, JFW657 said:

They're certainly getting a lot of press.

Haven't seen anything on the local TV news yet, though.

I think more people on here will be less skeptical once Orlando Business Journal and Orlando Sentinel report on it. For some reason I feel optimistic about this. I think this is going to get built.

Just now, orange87 said:

The great thing about this project if it ever does get built, is that it could lead to more tall buildings being built in downtown Orlando. Developers would simply be able to say "they built a 540 foot tower," so I should be able to build a 480 foot tower (as an example).

I'm really not sure how much effect the 440' cap has had.  The Vue could have still added a floor,  the Courthouse had another 24' to go,  BOA had another 31'.  Then it drops down to  55W with 63' to go and Solaire with 81'.  Seems more like an economic issue than a FAA issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cwetteland said:

I'm really not sure how much effect the 440' cap has had.  The Vue could have still added a floor,  the Courthouse had another 24' to go,  BOA had another 31'.  Then it drops down to  55W with 63' to go and Solaire with 81'.  Seems more like an economic issue than a FAA issue.

You might be right. But the process for building a skyscraper is so long that I'd imagine most developers probably view getting special approval from the FAA as just one more headache that isn't worth it.

First, kudos to Brendan for some excellent work on this - way to be a journalist!

As the city's Director of Sustainability, Chris Castro (who is mentioned in the project's own video), observes: "the feasibility of the project is a bit questionable." To put it mildly.

http://bungalower.com/2018/02/06/ponte-health-looking-plop-40-story-vertical-medical-city-downtown/

From Bungalower

I hope this gets more media coverage only because we are geeks and will hold out hope until it’s debunked.   I don’t expect Ponte to ever declare it dead even if it doesn’t happen so we need the accountability.   

You know you are still hoping that residential mailing address on Amelia for Orlando World Trade Center is going to give us a high rise any day now.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

I hope this gets more media coverage only because we are geeks and will hold out hope until it’s debunked.   I don’t expect Ponte to ever declare it dead even if it doesn’t happen so we need the accountability.   

You know you are still hoping that residential mailing address on Amelia for Orlando World Trade Center is going to give us a high rise any day now.

Oh, I'll keep hoping it happens, that's true.

But as for OWTC, I thought that was proposed to go up on W. Livingston where Ace Cafe is, and would've required the demolition of the old red brick building on the site, which is why I was never hoping that project would happen.

They noted a 70-story tower at 550'. That's an average floor height of 7.8" which gives an actual floor height of about 7', as commenter Sam Gallaher noted .

The relationship between floors and stories is normally the other way 'round - SunTrust is 441' and 30+ stories. Hopefully, no basketball players will seek treatment, just ewoks and Yoda!

Yet another project where they throw  a pretty picture out there and a bunch of numbers and hope something sticks. This may beat the 7-star resort!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

They noted a 70-story tower at 550'. That's an average floor height of 7.8" which gives an actual floor height of about 7', as commenter Sam Gallaher noted .

The relationship between floors and stories is normally the other way 'round - SunTrust is 441' and 30+ stories. Hopefully, no basketball players will seek treatment, just ewoks and Yoda!

Yet another project where they throw  a pretty picture out there and a bunch of numbers and hope something sticks. This may beat the 7-star resort!

Which do you think is more likely? The architect totally screwed up and nobody noticed, or the no-name reporter at Orlando Sentinel didn't do basic research before writing this article? The building is going to be 40 stories and around 550 feet.

Edited by orange87
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Then, after it claimed 70 stories, the article says it will be about 100' taller than SunTrust.

Really???

SunTrust is only 100' shorter than the 723' tall, 73 story Westin Peachtree Plaza Hotel in Atlanta?

johnnydidnotknow.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

I hate to point this out but the elderly and elevators over 70 floors sounds like a catastrophe.

Actually, I was thinking the same thing. 

Maybe the elderly residential and nursing home sections will be on the lower floors.

They seem to do OK in the retirement high rises currently in downtown.

• Like 1

GrowthSpotter is now reporting. Would be amazing/miracle if this gets off the ground. At least from the article we get some closure of what happened to Orlando Central;

"The site was previously under contract in 2015 to a developer that proposed a 31-story, 450-unit residential tower with retail space, dubbed "Orlando Central." Hahamovitch said that buyer could never get their financing together to close on the land."

Wasn't sure if that was in it's own thread or not. 

Edited by XpressEnterprise
information added.
  • Like 1

Building, FAA approvals, and financing aside....... how in the heck are they gonna get a hospital certificate of need from the state for that location, 1-2 miles North and South of two humongous mega medical complexes? It flies in the face of common sense, and this is without FH and OH putting up a fight, which we know they will do. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, shardoon said:

Building, FAA approvals, and financing aside....... how in the heck are they gonna get a hospital certificate of need from the state for that location, 1-2 miles North and South of two humongous mega medical complexes? It flies in the face of common sense, and this is without FH and OH putting up a fight, which we know they will do. 

Well, there's the possibility that because they are looking to focus on a very specific and different patient group than FH and OH, that could make a difference.

1 hour ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

This isn't happening. Orlando Central all over again.

I would have loved to see Florida Hospital build a 30+ story tower with all of it's headquarters downtown though.

I'll hope for maybe a free standing ER downtown soon. Florida and Orlando Health are right outside the CBD.

FH already has hundreds of millions invested in their main campus off Princeton with a lot of space for administrative offices, etc. Can't see why they'd choose an off-site, downtown location for anything. All operations are concentrated within their own little medical city.