Vertical Medical City | 40-Story Medical High Rise [Proposed]

orange87

On 4/23/2018 at 3:11 PM, spenser1058 said:

Here we go again. Valerie Greene is basically a motivational speaker:

https://bcenter.org/about/valerie

This is the Ronco approach to development:

"It slices! It dices! It juliennes! And it really, really works (not)...."

At least God's skyscraper had an organization behind it. This has someone sitting in Chicago throwing things at the wall to see if anything sticks.

"God's skyscraper"- Majesty Bldg, right?  FYI, they ACTUALLY are continuing the work on the ground floor areas and garage...  in the words of Jack Palance:   Believe it, or not!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, orange87 said:

"The three-tower project that would have assisted-living residences, an urgent-care facility and other connected medical facilities now will add a stroke rehabilitation center to the plans for the project that's going to be breaking ground next year...

...An exact location, about 1.4 acres for the roughly 2 million-square-foot Vertical Medical City project, has yet to be determined. Ponte previously said she was considering what's currently a surface parking lot at 110 W. Jefferson St. for the project. When asked if she was still interested in the site, she said is keeping her options open...

...Despite the land not being secured yet, the project currently is awaiting approval from the Federal Aviation Authority, as its tallest building of the three, the non-critical care tower, is about 100 feet higher than the 441-foot, 30-story SunTrust Center — downtown's tallest skyscraper to date...

...With a projected 2019 groundbreaking date, Ponte expects the project to be completed and operational by 2023."

HMMM... can you get FAA approval without a specific site, or do they have multiple sites picked out? Also, to go from a conceptual plan that isn't tied to a site to construction in a year seems unrealistic.

OBJ rode the "7-star resort" train almost daily until the poorly-conceived project collapsed from ignorance and greed. Actually committing journalism and digging into what was going on behind the curtain was too much trouble.

They're doing the same thing again here, apparently. As long as they can produce headlines that people will pay $75/year for, actual facts are irrelevant. Such is the state of journalism in the 21st century.

• Like 2

I have to admit I was spoiled by Ed Prizer, longtime publisher of Orlando Magazine.

It sounds odd now because the magazine has spent the last 20 years devolving into a puff piece, but when Ed was running the show into the '90's it was more of a business publication than a lifestyle one.

Ed was an unabashed fanboy for Orlando who loved covering what was going on. Nevertheless, he always dug beneath the press releases to report if a project was legit and, just as important, what it meant to Orlando's success and the vision many of us imagined.

3 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

We really lack any sort of solid journalism in this sector. Sentinel is a shell of itself, OBJ doesn't check anything. The local blogs don't do any of this type of reporting. So basically a company can say anything they want and it gets reported as is. Its sad.

In hopeful with new leadership, the OS will pull itself back together.

4 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I remember back in the early 80's reading an article or column in the Sentinel, in which the writer stated that by the year 2,000, Orlando's skyline would be "cheek to jowl" with skyscrapers. 

Oooooooookay.

think about it, though.  Wouldn't you have thought so anyway?  I mean, in 1979 Buck Rogers' opening comes out and they state "The year is 1987 and NASA launches the last of America's deep space probes..."  Watching this show back then I was like, wow, 1987 is a long ways away and we'll be that far advanced by then.  The result:  status quo for another 20 years post 1987.

Same with buildings.  You see trends and construction and you think...wow...at this rate we'll be the size of Miami or whatever in 20 years time- easy.  Little do we realize that trends happen, then there's stagnation, then a new trend sets in, which leaves us with where we are today.  

About the only thing they could've predicted accurately was the creation of dozens and dozens of new resort properties in and around the metro, and that's because Orlando is a leader in that type of industry...like...world leader caliber.  Unfortunately Orlando isn't anywhere near the top in the category of whatever industry or factors that would warrant the construction of skyscrapers downtown "cheek to jowl."

It has been proposed to the OE/AAA review board and status is "Work in Progress". Was submitted to them on 2/10/18 and has not yet been studied. 

Case # 2018-ASO-3504-OE

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/searchAction.jsp?action=displayOECase&oeCaseID=356775431&row=18

"This proposal has not yet been studied. Study outcomes will be posted at a later date. 
Public comments are not requested, and will not be considered at this time. "

5aeb5655015a6_VMCFAAMap.thumb.jpg.dc31626ac5b913fb0c2ca4c695a09cf6.jpg

Also interesting to note that Skyplex applied for a 700 ft clearance from the FAA at the corner of Sand Lake Road and I Drive on 4/4/2018!

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Also interesting to note that Skyplex applied for a 700 ft clearance from the FAA at the corner of Sand Lake Road and I Drive on 4/4/2018!

I don't get it. I thought Skyplex was going to be 570 feet tall? Have they increased the height or do they need to get approval for a certain amount of height above the building too?

Edited by orange87

21 minutes ago, orange87 said:

I don't get it. I thought Skyplex was going to be 570 feet tall? Have they increased the height or do they need to get approval for a certain amount of height above the building too?

I don't know either, Orange, but looking at their design, it looks like it has a "Space Needle" like spire on the top also, so maybe 570' is total building height to top of floor and 700' is for the overall obstruction with the spire thingy. 

Either way, it's gonna be MASSIVE and glad to see there is actually some activity on it. I thought it was dead. 

22 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

I don't know either, Orange, but looking at their design, it looks like it has a "Space Needle" like spire on the top also, so maybe 570' is total building height to top of floor and 700' is for the overall obstruction with the spire thingy. 

Either way, it's gonna be MASSIVE and glad to see there is actually some activity on it. I thought it was dead. 

The way I look at it, every time someone builds a new tallest building in Orlando, it raises the ceiling for other developers to build tall as well. Skyplex isn't going to be in downtown, so it probably won't affect what happens in downtown, but if Vertical Medical City gets built at 540 feet, it would raise the ceiling for everyone else in downtown too.

Also, would Skyplex be considered to be in Orlando? I've seen several tall buildings on or near I-Drive be considered (by some) to be "outside of city limits."

Edited by orange87

Vertical Medical City would definitely be a "game changer" although I am sure subsequent buildings would still have to go through the FAA process in the future. 

I don't personally consider a resort area building to be Orlando. Especially if it has a roller-coster on it. Resort area is its own thing, with its own money and different. It still would be cool though if this got built. . . and I would definitely ride it over the terrifying StartFlyer. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, orange87 said:

That is the height of the Poler-coaster that will be on the outside of the Skyplex structure.  The structure itself has a restaurant, observation deck, etc. on top of it, which is how it reaches 700ft

Edited by WAJAS98