Jump to content

orange87

Vertical Medical City | 40-Story Medical High Rise [Proposed]

Recommended Posts


1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Even if it were, that was just careless PR on her part in the release. Yet another part of the amateur-hour nature of this whole project..

Having worked with the press on releases like this in my political days, one knows better than to just pop a release out there.

A more professional outfit would have guided the press by the hand in advance to make sure there was no error. But then again nothing about this has ever been professional. 

Sorry, they don’t get off the hook on that.

lol, it all depends on the reporter you get writing the story, I've personally experienced bad reporters completely misquoting me, even when I told them, wrote it down for them, etc... (nothing of consequence and the need to pump out stories was their argument)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm actually happy uptown will be getting this.  When you add this to the Wells Fargo building, Florida Capital Bank building and the DoubleTree building, uptown begins to have something resembling a skyline. I hope one day uptown and downtown can connect.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm an urban fabric activity myself, but to address the previous post about uptown; what am I missing.  I thought we were discussing VMC, which in all the renderings is filling the gap between mid-town (court house) and downtown.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cwetteland said:

I'm an urban fabric activity myself, but to address the previous post about uptown; what am I missing.  I thought we were discussing VMC, which in all the renderings is filling the gap between mid-town (court house) and downtown.  

We rolled over pages, but my last post on the previous page....

I took the coordinates from the FAA approval letter (which are in degrees minutes and seconds, damn aviators), converted them into decimal, stuck them into google, and then cross referenced with the Property Appraiser to show that the location has apparently moved.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AndyPok1 said:

We rolled over pages, but my last post on the previous page....

I took the coordinates from the FAA approval letter (which are in degrees minutes and seconds, damn aviators), converted them into decimal, stuck them into google, and then cross referenced with the Property Appraiser to show that the location has apparently moved.

You also could have just gone here.... https://www.latlong.net , zoomed the map into the northern end of downtown, dropped a pin on the parcel in question....

Screenshot-Capture-2018-12-23-19-04-45-1

...then compared the coordinates to the ones shown in the FAA pdf file...

Screenshot-Capture-2018-12-23-18-58-55-9

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unlike Andy, I do care about a skyline, especially a recognizable one. I don’t think this building does much for Orlando’s skyline. I’m all for a high rise but it’s gonna stick out like a sore thumb if the posted locations are indeed correct. The VMC that far from the CBD will sort of look like the I-4 Eyesore: strange looking and totally out of place. I still have my doubts that VMC will ever become a reality (although I’m not as skeptical as some here) but if it does, I think it makes more sense a little closer to downtown and not uptown, which is nominal only and doesn’t really exist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Uncommon said:

Unlike Andy, I do care about a skyline, especially a recognizable one. I don’t think this building does much for Orlando’s skyline. I’m all for a high rise but it’s gonna stick out like a sore thumb if the posted locations are indeed correct. The VMC that far from the CBD will sort of look like the I-4 Eyesore: strange looking and totally out of place. I still have my doubts that VMC will ever become a reality (although I’m not as skeptical as some here) but if it does, I think it makes more sense a little closer to downtown and not uptown, which is nominal only and doesn’t really exist.

The template laid out by the Frederick administration (which still appears to be the basis Buddy’s staff is working by) is that vertical growth moves toward uptown.

That preserves the intown neighborhoods and the political detente in Parramore.

The Great Recession messed everything up in that, for several years into the recovery, it seems lenders were unwilling to support high rises and the area filled in with a number of mid rise stubbies.

I still believe the original plan was the correct one.

As Uncommon notes, I am extremely skeptical this project ever happens. The movers and shakers supposedly behind it have acted more like the shysters behind the Orlando World Trade Center and I-Drive’s infamous “7-star resort” than as successful developers like Lincoln who actually get things built downtown.

If I have misread the situation and it proceeds, I still question plopping a project geared toward seniors who in many cases will be there 24/7 into the core cheek by jowl with the bar district on one side and college students on the other (not to mention that the latter are likely to be going regularly into the former late into the evening, but I’ll let Andy opine on that <g>).

If this thing is going to happen (and if Vegas offers wagers on such things occurring, I’d feel safe placing my money against the idea), it almost has to go uptown.

In fact, it would have made infinitely more sense to go somewhere closer to South Eola, working in tandem with a similar existing facility, the Lutheran Towers complex.

That’s the other issue I have (among many): no one associated with this seems to have any notion of the facts on the ground in downtown Orlando. Instead, I’ve gotten the feeling all along someone sitting in  Chicago fired up the computer and miraculously came up with a solution in search of a problem. From the beginning, the ties to the community have been absent.

 

Edited by spenser1058

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another precinct we really haven’t heard from: Advent Health (I’m getting a head start on the new name) and, more broadly, the Seventh Day Adventist Church.

They fought tooth and nail against Nemours coming into the market and have fought over the years to protect their turf.

What’s interesting in this case is that, not only do they have the medical background to do something like this, the Church has also done social outreach in the region.

Whether it be senior housing (like Hillcrest-Hampton House and garden-type complexes, both in Colonialtown) or schools and camps (such as Forest Lake Academy), this would seem to be right in their wheelhouse.

Further, doing something for seniors on their campus (perhaps overlooking Lake Estelle) seems to make more sense than a crowded urban block.

I wonder if they’ll eventually weigh in on all this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, cwetteland said:

Didn't that site have subsurface pollution issues?  Was it a brownfield site?  I could be wrong.

It was the former site of a car dealership. Not positive, but I'm pretty sure it was a Massey Cadillac.

I used to pop into the service dept repair shop when I was up that way riding my bike on hot days because just inside the door, they had the coldest drinking fountain in town. Seriously. If you were hot and thirsty, it was like a stream of heaven.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

It was the former site of a car dealership. Not positive, but I'm pretty sure it was a Massey Cadillac.

I used to pop into the service dept repair shop when I was up that way riding my bike on hot days because just inside the door, they had the coldest drinking fountain in town. Seriously. If you were hot and thirsty, it was like a stream of heaven.

That would have been McKellar Cadillac, which became McKellar-Braun. They moved out on JYP and became just Braun, then Massey.

After Braun left uptown, it was briefly the infamous Bob Dance Jeep Eagle (“Where Everybody Rides”) until they moved out on West Colonial. Then the building was demolished.

Yes, I have the world’s greatest store of useless information...

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, cwetteland said:

Didn't that site have subsurface pollution issues?  Was it a brownfield site?  I could be wrong.

I remember it needed a lot of dirt to sit there for surcharging but that dirt has been gone for years.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Uncommon said:

Unlike Andy, I do care about a skyline, especially a recognizable one. I don’t think this building does much for Orlando’s skyline. I’m all for a high rise but it’s gonna stick out like a sore thumb if the posted locations are indeed correct. The VMC that far from the CBD will sort of look like the I-4 Eyesore: strange looking and totally out of place. I still have my doubts that VMC will ever become a reality (although I’m not as skeptical as some here) but if it does, I think it makes more sense a little closer to downtown and not uptown, which is nominal only and doesn’t really exist.

To be clear, I'm not anti skyline.  If I could ever find a nice panorama of Youngstown, I've always had the intention of having a whole wall of the various skylines where I've lived.  Just it's a secondary concern to me.  Agreed about sticking out though.  That was my biggest complaint with the Devon Energy Center in OKC.  It's 350 feet taller than the next tallest building.  It looks horrible for that reason IMO

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

If I have misread the situation and it proceeds, I still question plopping a project geared toward seniors who in many cases will be there 24/7 into the core cheek by jowl with the bar district on one side and college students on the other (not to mention that the latter are likely to be going regularly into the former late into the evening, but I’ll let Andy opine on that <g>).

 If this thing is going to happen (and if Vegas offers wagers on such things occurring, I’d feel safe placing my money against the idea), it almost has to go uptown.

Didn’t see it before but after your post I agree 100%. Wasn’t thinking about the function of the high-rise as much as that it was a high-rise. I sometimes forget developers don’t simply build tall buildings to please skyline fanatics lol.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That makes me wonder about VMC.  I'm not at all against it being 400'+ but why that height.  if they found double the land at a lower cost, would they lower the height.  It's my understanding that building cost go up as height goes up.  Is it a bragging rights thing or a PR thing.  I guess they couldn't call it VMC if it were a 10 story campus.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
That would have been McKellar Cadillac, which became McKellar-Braun. They moved out on JYP and became just Braun, then Massey.
After Braun left uptown, it was briefly the infamous Bob Dance Jeep Eagle (“Where Everybody Rides”) until they moved out on West Colonial. Then the building was demolished.
Yes, I have the world’s greatest store of useless information...

Props for remembering the barely-a-blip Eagle brand.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, orlandoguy said:


Props for remembering the barely-a-blip Eagle brand. emoji1659.png

JRS2 and Dale will be shocked but this wild-eyed liberal is a big NASCAR fan and a student of all things Detroit (even if Ford is abandoning me as a customer ‘cuz no matter what they say, CUV’s still drive like an oversized orange crate).

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

JRS2 and Dale will be shocked but this wild-eyed liberal is a big NASCAR fan and a student of all things Detroit (even if Ford is abandoning me as a customer ‘cuz no matter what they say, CUV’s still drive like an oversized orange crate).

Ugh. Ford is irking me with that move. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 3:07 PM, spenser1058 said:

JRS2 and Dale will be shocked but this wild-eyed liberal is a big NASCAR fan and a student of all things Detroit (even if Ford is abandoning me as a customer ‘cuz no matter what they say, CUV’s still drive like an oversized orange crate).

...you should check out DIS if you can (Daytona Intl Speedway) at the next big race.  They way they concreted the Citrus Bowl from how it was, ditto at DIS; a very parallel improvement, except they added 4-10 elevators and 40 escalators.  Also, club seating etc...

40+ escalators?  that's kind of nuts when you think about it.  What project has 40 + escalators?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If this goes through I think the city should make the developer build a Sunrail station nearby ala  Church Street Plaza phase 2, having the influx of traffic this would bring would be horrible for developing the walkability of North Quarter and nearby Ivanhoe Village.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.