Vertical Medical City | 40-Story Medical High Rise [Proposed]

orange87

On 6/15/2019 at 7:13 PM, dcluley98 said:

The cynical part of me said that was a tuneful performance. 

The altruistic part of me heard what was sung. . . 

The realistic part of me tried to understand and apply the lesson to everyday life. 

An awful lot of it is cultural. I was raised to respect old Southern ways where you underpromised and overdelivered. It was old money that could afford a Rolls but drove an LTD. They were more likely to wear button-downs from Brooks Brothers (often handed down by siblings) than the latest bling.

One’s house would be a comfortable two story in Ivanhoe or Delaney rather than some sprawling manse in Isleworth.

Atticus Finch as delivered by Gregory Peck was the archetype. It’s why Jean-Luc Picard is more valued in the Federation than William Shatner’s James T. Kirk.

I recognize there are places in New Jersey and New York that are the exact opposite of that. It’s why Donald Trump made me crazy long before I knew anything about his politics.

Ms. Ponte just needs to do her due diligence quietly far away from Twitter. Take meetings, arrange the financing and break ground. 

Then, no one will be a bigger cheerleader for her success than I.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

Just now, dcluley98 said:

nor effect you. .  . 

Unfortunately, there are a lot more cases where Ms. Ponte’s behavior turned out to be indicative of fraud. Fast-growing towns in Florida have always been susceptible going back at least to the “Binder Boys” before the 1926 crash.

Just now, dcluley98 said:

Would Henry Flagler or John Ringling be counted as fraudsters or visionaries? 

History writes what happened, not what could have. 

And if I were a historian, that would be fine. But in the here and now, we have to make judgments as to whom is trustworthy and legitimate.

4 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Jacobs is legitimate. 

Money would be Level 2. 

Permits would be level 3. 

Skeptical but Hopeful. . . 

My problem with VMC started with the fact that, from day one, the locations proposed made no sense for affluent seniors.It still doesn’t. As AmIReal pointed out, her primary raison d’etre has to do with transportation and her solution is more costly than the problem.

So, OK, no project is perfect. Then what we have to rely upon is that the developer is trustworthy enough to overcome the obstacles. This is where you have to believe in the person. Overpromising is the quickest way to make me not believe.

At the end of the day, all we have are our reputations. Maybe in Chicago, she’s winning friends and influencing people. In Orlando so far, I’d suggest she’s doing the opposite. Might she have the last laugh? Sure. All she has to do is break ground and I’ll be happy to say a mea culpa and happily embrace the project.

1 hour ago, dcluley98 said:

The cynical part of me said that was a tuneful performance. 

The altruistic part of me heard what was sung. . . 

The realistic part of me tried to understand and apply the lesson to everyday life. 

Well, then there's the old....

• Haha 1

A possible merger between Orlando-based Westminster Communities and a Pennsylvania non-profit could change the landscape for ALF’s in the state.

It could also change the calculus of VMC, given Westminster is a significant player locally in assisted living for seniors.

https://www.tampabay.com/business/st-petersburgs-westminster-senior-living-facilities-may-be-part-of-a-possible-merger-with-pennslyvania-nonprofit-20190614/

(Via Tampa Bay Times)
Edited by spenser1058

Cue the HankStrong graphic...

Vertical Medical City plan sails through city planning board

per Growthspotter, the board “I think the vision is fantastic,” and "think(s) it will be a pioneering concept for the city.”

Ponte is still in process of negotiating a 100 year lease on the property.

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/residential-property-developments/senior-living/gs-news-vertical-medical-city-mpb-20190618-bvcfbt477ncardml2igljw4u7u-story.html

4 hours ago, Uncommon said:

They keep calling this “downtown” but is it? All the way up on Orange is still considered downtown? I really wish it were closer to the CBD. It’s gonna look a little weird being that far away from other tall buildings.

In my opinion, I consider downtown basically to be Hospital to Hospital North and South.
East and West, goes from OBT in the West to Summerlin going East. But thats just me.

Regarding the hight being further away, I like it. It gives downtown a nice stretchy look with all of other proposals.