Vertical Medical City | 40-Story Medical High Rise [Proposed]

orange87

Just some background on assisted living in Florida, fwiw.

There are about 3200 ALFs in Fl with roughly 120k residents. Interesting, to me at least, is FL has roughly 500k residents with Alzheimer's and will approach 750k by 2025. I find it interesting because that is a lot of family members "choosing" to care for a loved one at home- either out of desire or financial need.

Over 50% of the ALFs in FL have 6 beds or less. Over 75% have 25 beds or less. So these really large facilities you see around the state account for a small sliver of the total bed count. Btw, these percentages are increasing.

Assisted Living Facilities are NOT nursing homes aka skilled nursing facilities (SNF).

Many of these large buildings, particularly the downtown towers, are actually senior living. Some residing there may get assisted services or even nursing, but that is provided through private contract. Not all, in fact most, of the people living in these towers need assistive care. What they do get- if they want it- is meals, transportation, activities, companions, etc (all at added costs). 

If VMC is built then only a small portion of it would be licensed ALF and a smaller portion SNF. Most of it would be senior living, independent living and medical facility.

• Like 2

Advanced issues found

19 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Just some background on assisted living in Florida, fwiw.

There are about 3200 ALFs in Fl with roughly 120k residents. Interesting, to me at least, is FL has roughly 500k residents with Alzheimer's and will approach 750k by 2025. I find it interesting because that is a lot of family members "choosing" to care for a loved one at home- either out of desire or financial need.

Over 50% of the ALFs in FL have 6 beds or less. Over 75% have 25 beds or less. So these really large facilities you see around the state account for a small sliver of the total bed count. Btw, these percentages are increasing.

Assisted Living Facilities are NOT nursing homes aka skilled nursing facilities (SNF).

Many of these large buildings, particularly the downtown towers, are actually senior living. Some residing there may get assisted services or even nursing, but that is provided through private contract. Not all, in fact most, of the people living in these towers need assistive care. What they do get- if they want it- is meals, transportation, activities, companions, etc (all at added costs). 

If VMC is built then only a small portion of it would be licensed ALF and a smaller portion SNF. Most of it would be senior living, independent living and medical facility.

I used to work with some of these towers to book concert outings for residents.  I met some folks at one of the Winter Park communities who were 55 year old empty nesters, didn't want to maintain a house anymore, and had a sailboat they would take up and down the coast and over to the Bahamas for months when the weather was right, but decided to move into one of these communities for the ease of living and convenience so they could enjoy their life how they wanted to. Now, they aren't the typical residents, but this illustrates the  wide diversity of ages and abilities in senior living communities. 

• 5 weeks later...

Ponte Health has hired Bob Szafranski, (former Corporate Manager of Facility Development at Orlando Health's DT Campus) as the Director of Construction for the Vertical Medical City project. 

https://www.linkedin.com/in/bob-szafranski-82406018/

They have been hiring several high profile people away from other areas and have conditional approval of master plan. Look to see revised master plan and beginning approval of architectural details. They will be releasing an early sitework and foundations package for the project before finalizing the design. 

This is getting very, very real, as stated when Jacobs stepped aboard and began working on the master plan.

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Ponte Health has hired Bob Szafranski, (former Corporate Manager of Facility Development at Orlando Health's DT Campus) as the Director of Construction for the Vertical Medical City project. 

They have been hiring several high profile people away from other areas and have conditional approval of master plan. Look to see revised master plan and beginning approval of architectural details. They will be releasing an early sitework and foundations package for the project before finalizing the design. 

This is getting very, very real, as stated when Jacobs stepped aboard and began working on the master plan.

very surreal.  I never thought in a million years this would or could ever happen.  but, they are acting like it can or will happen.  stay tuned I guess.

if this goes forward before the Magic Entertainment Complex does I will never let up on that organization.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Revised master plan? 

The will have to submit revised master plan to MPB and ARB for approval before they can create real construction drawings. They only got initial approval of use for the land, general concept, and height of the building so far. They still need final approval of plan details such as GF glazing, signage, architectural details such as art/mural, "gardens" and garage details. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 3

Truly surprising. If I still lived in my 5th floor condo at Uptown Place, i'd be pretty pissed bc that view is just spectacular, but this will be a good addition to an area that truly needs development. Until NORA came in, Uptown was a seemingly forgotten area.

1 hour ago, HankStrong said:

I'm fairly positive if anyone in a downtown housing scenario believes their view is a view they'll have forever they might need a Stupid Sign.

Downtown views change all the time and that could be for the better or the worse.

Yeah, I wasn't naive enough to think it would always stay that way. No downtown area stays that way, and there are only so many undeveloped plots of land available. I also didn't own the condo, just enjoyed the gorgeous sunsets and watching seabreeze action thunderstorms  every evening.

• Like 2

City views are valuable and there have been cases in the past where condo owners have purchased the air rights from a developer. There was a story about this in New York recently , this is probably the only city perhaps Miami, where the condo values are so high that the owners would think it makes sense.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jvest55 said:

City views are valuable and there have been cases in the past where condo owners have purchased the air rights from a developer. There was a story about this in New York recently , this is probably the only city perhaps Miami, where the condo values are so high that the owners would think it makes sense.

OK, so my statement is still basically correct 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the time.  Exclusions apply.  Your mileage may vary.  No animals were harmed in the making of this post.  Opinions are for entertainment purposes only.  Offices Orlando.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

OK, so my statement is still basically correct 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the time.  Exclusions apply.  Your mileage may vary.  No animals were harmed in the making of this post.  Opinions are for entertainment purposes only.  Offices Orlando.

Tax  tag and initial fees extra.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

you're really Tony Robbins, aren't you!

Oddly enough, I did forensics (public speaking) and the Toastmaster’s Youth Program in high school and toyed with being either a pastor or a motivational speaker (I was a churchgoing Alex P. Keaton back then).

Then I got the politics bug and never looked back...

• Like 2

On 8/22/2019 at 1:06 PM, spenser1058 said:

Oddly enough, I did forensics (public speaking) and the Toastmaster’s Youth Program in high school and toyed with being either a pastor or a motivational speaker (I was a churchgoing Alex P. Keaton back then).

Then I got the politics bug and never looked back...

Speechies unite!  The only good NFL!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

"So excited to finally announce our Vertical Medical City - Orlando Founding Advisory Board ; Our 7 Advisory Board Members will help make this new facility the world-class destination we have all envisioned, to create the best most successful outcome of each of our residents, staff, and visitors."

71092894_2206546469644224_4049540460841009152_o.jpg

• Like 3