Vertical Medical City | 40-Story Medical High Rise [Proposed]

orange87

It’s certainly possible - John Portman comes to mind. Even Portman, however, took time from when he finished at Ga. Tech at 26 in 1950 until 1961 when his first major project was done (Atlanta’s Merchandise Mart).

It was certainly a different time but maybe networking via Facebook press release is not the most effective strategy even today if you want to be more than an early adaptor or a pundit.

Edited by spenser1058

3 hours ago, HankStrong said:

How did Ted Mosby land the Goliath National Bank building?  Sometimes you just are a young architect and the cards all fall the right way.

Ted landed the commission which was far fetched. This architect is the developer which is insane. Is she from a prominent family? Most of the Youngs guys that start doing large scale projects that young are backed by their family. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Dale said:

With Ms. Ponte, the sky’s the limit! Coming up next: she’ll be announcing the first VMC on the moon...

Edited by spenser1058

If. I had $115 million I’d run for mayor.

Meanwhile, she should show that she’s serious and start working behind the scenes to raise the money instead of generating silly press releases.

Not to mention the idea that, speaking as someone who’ll be retiring in the next decade, I have zero desire to be jammed up between two highways for the rest of my life.

Edited by spenser1058

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, HankStrong said:

It's gotta happen some way.

The thing is, we already have a VMC* - it’s called the Orlando Lutheran Towers complex (complete with a church on top!) and it doesn’t try to jam Granny up between a couple of multi-lane highways. It’s on a nice tree-lined brick street that’s perfect for walking (or wheeling) to nearby Eola Park. 

Given the choice, I know which I’d prefer.

* A big job of an architect is to make sure the buildings they design fit their surroundings. I’ve always gotten the impression she was just sitting in Chicago or wherever cranking out drawings without ever taking the time to establish a sense of place. It certainly doesn’t feel like she ever walked around downtown Orlando. It’s that whole “management by wandering around” thing again as applied to architects.

Edited by spenser1058

• 3 months later...

I actually like her idea.  The target group are older ppl, something the area is saturated with. The city strives to attract other industries and perhaps it is not a bad idea to work with what we already have, which are older ppl.  According to the the statistics the USA is only getting older and not younger. These potential clients need a lot of services. Why not set up a place in a one stop shop environment. A place where u can set up assisted living, nursing home, hospice, medical services, etc. So many services that a very large building will be needed, by the way isn’t Orlando begging for a true skyscraper? I want her to succeed but obviously I’m ignorant to the politics and marketing needed to launch such a complicated endeavor. 

Edited by Urban Mail Carrier
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Urban Mail Carrier said:

I actually like her idea.  The target group are older ppl, something the area is saturated with. The city strives to attract other industries and perhaps it is not a bad idea to work with what we already have, which are older ppl.  According to the the statistics the USA is only getting older and not younger. These potential clients need a lot of services. Why not set up a place in a one stop shop environment. A place where u can set up assisted living, nursing home, hospice, medical services, etc. So many services that a very large building will be needed, by the way isn’t Orlando begging for a true skyscraper? I want her to succeed but obviously I’m ignorant to the politics and marketing needed to launch such a complicated endeavor. 

Let’s just say that, compared to what she has delivered so far, the folks behind God’s Skyscraper up in Altamonte are a model of speed and efficiency (not to mention much more humble)...

Edited by spenser1058
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, orange87 said:

Oh ye of little faith.

If the good Ms. Ponte ever delivers here in Orlando, I will be most pleased to eat my mouse ears.

My Southern soul has a natural predisposition to be unimpressed by those who overpromise and underdeliver. Hopefully, she will surprise me.

First, however, I hope she takes a little time to study the concept of “sense of place”. Among her numerous proposals for various cities, that seems to be sorely lacking in her ideas for Orlando.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Urban Mail Carrier said:

I think everyone likes the idea if it would work. The problem is, for the most part, these facilities need to consider cost very heavily for their clientele. While its a cool idea, and I'm sure some people would be interested in it, you need to fill up the facility really quickly as it can't really be built in phases. You have to convince these nursing home patients, or the one footing the bill, its worth paying a premium for the facility.

Its possible, ever since the Obama guaranteed loans for university started, universities realized that its worth investing more in pretty facilities and recreation to help attract students to their school. Student apartments that were built before that were typically built super low end, and now they're often built very high end since the guaranteed loans. We've seen it in a couple of residential communities (although its been far less successful then the student loan funded stuff) with them being built resort-style with a ton of CDD amenities.

I do think the idea is worth a shot. I don't personally think it will work, because at this point, there isn't someone on the outside willing to throw a ton of money at it. I don't believe VMC has any ability to execute on it, they sure don't seem to have the resources, and to do something like this, I think you need a large conglomerate/investment group.