Vertical Medical City | 40-Story Medical High Rise [Proposed]

orange87

On 2/16/2018 at 7:58 PM, aent said:

Haha, I hope some people enjoyed it. Thankfully I type like >150 wpm, but it was way too long for me to proof read lmao

Omg!  I type, like, 10 wpm.  Yet, somehow, I am still drawn to participate in an online forum that requires typing skills to communicate...

8 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Omg!  I type, like, 10 wpm.  Yet, somehow, I am still drawn to participate in an online forum that requires typing skills to communicate...

Poor soul! Of course, on my phone I type 10 wpm... if only I was born a few years later I'd probably be great at that too rather then great at T9 :tw_expressionless:

• Haha 1

Its important to realize that the same data can literally bring us to different conclusions. I don't think anyone is disputing the data you brought to the table (I'm surely not). And if history teaches us anything, its that everything has unintended consequences. Its really, really hard to predict what would happen for each change that is made because the world has so many variables. (The obvious urban planning example is that is seems relatively "obvious" the solution to traffic problems is to add additional lanes to get people where they want to go, but as many of us know, that often doesn't work... it creates more trips, discourages mass transit, etc). Hopefully everyone's goal of the interactions here is to learn new things, be open to changing one's mind, and coming up with some creative solutions (and I believe we have had members of this forum be part of the city's team, by part of developer's teams, etc, so we may be making a difference, providing some "free" consulting, in addition to it being entertainment for us (it is for me))

I hope you don't stop posting, because even though I may disagree with you (although I do agree with several of your points as well), you brought a lively discussion, which contributes a lot to the community, and making sure all the pros and cons on this very important issue are discussed. While to you, its a laser-focused issue, to me, its not... I'd LIKE wages to be higher (organically), but I don't want to give up anything we have that causes it to be low, because I do feel that it provides tons of benefits to the people of Orlando. I will say I feel you've changed my priorities a little bit.. previously would have said my top priorities for Orlando is 1) Transportation, 2) Crime and police related issues, 3) Creating more high paying jobs, and you might have convinced me to reverse me 2 and 3. You also made me consider my metric for success on that #3, which I now must say I feel should be Year Over Year growth of high paying jobs, and not looking at the percentage or median salary because of the unique situation here in Orlando.

The federal minimum wage has been raised 22 times since 1938, and your three examples of what typically happens doesn't correlate with reality, only your perception of it.

Please forgive me, as writing an essay explaining this phenomenon sounds like a horrible use of my time.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Thanks, @aent, for your thorough response. Not being a business owner and not having worked in the tourist sector, I appreciate your perspective.

In terms of a minimum wage increase, I could post a slew or articles pointing out the pros or countries where it's working well—but, like you said, you could probably find plenty of data highlighting the cons, so I'll leave it at that. I will say, however, that as cool as the perks of working at Disney sound, I imagine it's pretty hard to pay for college or save for retirement using guest passes.

At the end of the day, all these companies' profits are going somewhere while a big portion of workers is struggling.

--------------

Going back to the earlier topic of affordable housing, the latest Central Florida 100 had some harsh things to say about how Tallahassee is handling Florida's affordable housing fund: "End money grab that crimps affordable housing".  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, alex said:

Thanks, @aent, for your thorough response. Not being a business owner and not having worked in the tourist sector, I appreciate your perspective.

In terms of a minimum wage increase, I could post a slew or articles pointing out the pros or countries where it's working well—but, like you said, you could probably find plenty of data highlighting the cons, so I'll leave it at that. I will say, however, that as cool as the perks of working at Disney sound, I imagine it's pretty hard to pay for college or save for retirement using guest passes.

At the end of the day, all these companies' profits are going somewhere while a big portion of workers is struggling.

--------------

Going back to the earlier topic of affordable housing, the latest Central Florida 100 had some harsh things to say about how Tallahassee is handling Florida's affordable housing fund: "End money grab that crimps affordable housing".  

Thanks, I'm well aware one simple essay on a forum isn't going to convince anyone to drastically change their views, just to put some different perspectives out their. And to be clear, I was generally talking about drastic increases in minimum wage (several dollars an hour). I personally don't have any minimum wage workers, even though I have a number of lower-waged workers... no offense to anyone, but if anyone is stuck at minimum wage for more than a couple months, you are either doing something wrong or have something wrong with you or you need to go and find something else. These jobs are never going to be sending people to college, and we're expected to work our way up in life to save for retirement... In-state Florida residents can get their Bright Futures scholarship (and combine it with others) which makes college for those who qualify dirt cheap. Thats what I did at UCF, and anyone with good grades gets it.

One other point I will make is I've offered numerous people working at Disney a couple dollar an hour increase to come work for me, and nearly all want drastic increases to leave those benefits behind. I just know a LOT of Disney workers, and THEY don't seem to believe they're struggling for the most part. They're happy working there.

• Like 2

The trope I always laugh at is the "rise in productivity means a rise in wages." Those different conclusions drawn from the same data normally come from a cognitive disconnect from established reality. Say it loud, say it often, you can change the reality of people who don't do math well or read much....  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Boomer136 said:

The trope I always laugh at is the "rise in productivity means a rise in wages." Those different conclusions drawn from the same data normally come from a cognitive disconnect from established reality. Say it loud, say it often, you can change the reality of people who don't do math well or read much....  

...and that is the media for ya

14 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

*Sits quietly in the corner sipping my Diet Dr Pepper and watches pigs fly*

I have a project list for work that someone once added a couple jobs that have never happened and under the timeline simply put WPF as the dates.  Many years later those projects are still listed, although the person who added them is long retired, and everyone just leaves them on the sheets and waits for a newbie to say "Hey! What does WPF mean?"  None of us really know what the projects are because they have vague names anyway, but it's just understood that they will remain until those pigs fly.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, orange87 said:

Ponte Health, the developer and lead architect for Vertical Medical City (VMC) Orlando, has selected Tutor Perini Building Corp. to provide pre-construction services for the project.

Nothing like a shady company for a shady project:

https://seekingalpha.com/amp/article/4150794-tutor-perini-aggressive-accounting-warrants-short

From Seeking Alpha

And the Hollywood Reporter covers the two decade long tussle with LA over walls built to half the thickness in the specs and a nearly uninhabitable hotel in Vegas:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ron-tutor-miramax-interview-305392

Heck, they'd fit in well with Tony Morris' 30-year boondoggle to build a successful maglev system (which, btw, is why Buddy Dyer, unlike FDOT, did his due diligence and knew Morris' dog wouldn't hunt from his days in the grand Volusia metropolis of Oak Hill to the present.)

Folks, just like with "7-star" resorts and luxury downtown towers proposed by a firm whose only high-rise history was a college dorm,it matters what your track record is.

Oh well, we can always catch up with them at the airport on their way out of the country like the dude from Mingos/Centroplex Sheraton.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Nothing like a shady company for a shady project:

https://seekingalpha.com/amp/article/4150794-tutor-perini-aggressive-accounting-warrants-short

From Seeking Alpha

And the Hollywood Reporter covers the two decade long tussle with LA over walls built to half the thickness in the specs and a nearly uninhabitable hotel in Vegas:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ron-tutor-miramax-interview-305392

Heck, they'd fit in well with Tony Morris' 30-year boondoggle to build a successful maglev system (which, btw, is why Buddy Dyer, unlike FDOT, did his due diligence and knew Morris' dog wouldn't hunt from his days in the grand Volusia metropolis of Oak Hill to the present.)

Folks, just like with "7-star" resorts and luxury downtown towers proposed by a firm whose only high-rise history was a college dorm,it matters what your track record is.

Oh well, we can always catch up with them at the airport on their way out of the country like the dude from Mingos/Centroplex Sheraton.

...or the guy from the failed Orlando City Place/ Lexington project..

• Like 1

Here we go again. Valerie Greene is basically a motivational speaker:

https://bcenter.org/about/valerie

This is the Ronco approach to development:

"It slices! It dices! It juliennes! And it really, really works (not)...."

At least God's skyscraper had an organization behind it. This has someone sitting in Chicago throwing things at the wall to see if anything sticks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Here we go again. Valerie Greene is basically a motivational speaker:

https://bcenter.org/about/valerie

This is the Ronco approach to development:

"It slices! It dices! It juliennes! And it really, really works (not)...."

At least God's skyscraper had an organization behind it. This has someone sitting in Chicago throwing things at the wall to see if anything sticks.

I might give it more credence if Ron Popeil was backing it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Even though I do not believe this thing is serious..... its a great test for the FAA limit since the tallest tower is about 100 feet taller than Suntrust and they have an active application in with the FAA for a review.  Maybe the FAA will give them more explicit guidance on true height restrictions on various areas of land in downtown since they don't even have a site yet. This would be great information. 

• Like 3