Sign in to follow this  
PaulChinetti

Wooden Skyscrapers

interesting, but I'm not convinced.  Partly because concrete is my favorite building material, after dirt, but also because of the noise factor.  Concrete insulates you from your neighbor's noise.  Wood rots, insects eat it, it burns, and it's not malleable, it lends itself to boxiness.  Dirt is the best building material IMO although I doubt it will ever go tall.

dirt house2.jpg

• Like 1

I saw an exhibit at the National Building Museum in DC and the new technology for wood construction is amazing. Some of the new composite wood material has a tensile strength greater than steel and will not burn or melt as fast as steel does. Pretty amazing stuff.

I do think the mid rise builds shown add some good alternatives. However it seems a Huge gamble on the larger builds. Not only on the durability and ruggedness if the structure, but the money outlay vs. questionable demand from commercial and/or residential prospects.

Sorry to bump this thread, but this is a topic that I very much enjoy. Wooden skyscrapers - I believe - is something we can actually see becoming very common over the next decade or so. The Pacific Northwest has begun to use Mass Timber (different from the mid-rise stick builds) to really show off the impressive capabilities of wooden structures. The introduction of Cross-Laminated Timber, Nail-Laminated Timber and GluLam are all making it incredibly attractive.  Some people may say it puts design in a box, but when you look at what we are getting in terms of large building design (505, just about any Millennium Partner Developments), its basically the same thing, with warmer, softer materials that take much much less energy to produce and harvest responsibly. 

The building, Brock Commons, was completed a number of years ago, but really is a testament to where wood is coming from and is going. The structure took only 9-1/2 weeks to assemble (18 floor structure)! Pretty incredible since this is probably at a minimum half the time of a concrete or steel structure.

image.png.7d17129a0339b4995a98dea46253ea55.png

https://www.thinkwood.com/our-projects/brock-commons-tallwood-house

• Like 1