CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red Lines

monsoon

39 minutes ago, kermit said:

* The second largest risk seems like an even bigger one: “Civil Contractor is ineffective in project specific trades like project management, rail installation and bridge construction resulting in poor budgeting, scheduling, construction, and/or quality.” Yikes! Did no one do any due diligence of low bidders?????

You can do due diligence all day long, but unless the bidder has fundamentally broken a rule or procedure in bidding there's not much you can do by public law. The contractor should be bonded, though, so the project is financially protected if things really go south. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

You can do due diligence all day long, but unless the bidder has fundamentally broken a rule or procedure in bidding there's not much you can do by public law. The contractor should be bonded, though, so the project is financially protected if things really go south. 

are city / state agencies required to always choose the low bidder? Is there no clause in the selection rules for 'character references' etc.?

If public agencies have no flexibility in the bids they select then I have even more appreciation for this Alan Shephard quote:

It's a very sobering feeling to be up in space and realize that one's safety factor was determined by the lowest bidder on a government contract.

Edited by kermit
  • Haha 1

On 3/16/2018 at 8:59 AM, CLT2014 said:

Wow, 1.5 cents sales tax increase would be needed to self fund it... it is going to take some creative revenue planning to find other sources of revenue to make this possible. 

Can someone quantify this for me?  I spend $100 today at Target or wherever and I pay $7.50 in tax.  Inside this $7.50 is CATS portion already so adding in 1.5 cent increase for CATS what would that make the $7.50?

Edited by navigator319
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

Can someone quantify this for me?  I spend $100 today at Target or wherever and I pay $7.50 in tax.  Inside this $7.50 is CATS portion already so adding in 1.5 cent increase for CATS what would that make the $7.50?

$9

I don't think we would see an additional 1.5 cents (making 2 cents total). Perhaps another half cent (1 cent total) plus some other revenue streams -- value capture and possibly some taxes on driving. 

Edited by kermit
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

Thank you!... so 7.5% sales tax to a 9% sales tax.   Ok yea I could see selling that a tad hard even to people that REALLY want.  Personally I'm cool with it, provided it goes to building what it is suppose to.

9% would put us in the top 15 cities for sales tax nation wide with cities like Chicago and the California cities (and more than high cost of living cities like New York City, San Francisco, etc..). The other cities in the top 15 are largely in states with no income tax like Washington, Texas, and Tennessee (so they derive most of their income from sales tax). 

It is interesting that Denver built all of their rail system with a 7.65% sales tax rate, which is just slightly higher than our 7.25%, but we would need 9% to accomplish building a smaller system. Colorado also has a flat income tax of 4.63% versus 5.75% in North Carolina AND they have lower property taxes than Mecklenburg.

Do we just not operate as efficiently as Denver and Colorado because it seems they accomplish more with less. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Haha 1

I think, but don't know, that unlike NC businesses are expected to carry their fair share of the tax burden. Remarkably they still want to be there! Plus mining mineral rights & drilling  income. Plus MJ taxes. BTW, my overall taxes were less than 1/2 of Charlotte's in Denver. On top of that public services are much better as well. I also wonder if deferring maintenance for a 100 years isn't catching up with the East while the West has newer infrastructure in general.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think the lodging taxes are a good idea. Here is Denver's split which includes 1% for transit. Their total rate is almost 15% and it sure doesn't seem to hurt tourism or the convention business.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/where-denvers-hotel-tax-revenue-goes

Edited by elrodvt
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Spartan said:

I'd like to see 1.5¢ in total sales tax revenue for transportation, so 1¢ in new sales taxes. Give 1¢ to transit and the other .5¢ to roads/sidewalks/bike facilities, etc. 

I like it although it's a regressive tax and would prefer to also have something income based to grab the SC people who work here. Combine with a lodging tax increase.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, EllAyyDub said:

A tunnel could allow the Silver/West line to link to both CTC and Gateway, something no other alignment could accomplish.  

I rather an unground project hit CTC blue line, Romare Park/300 South Tryon & BofA stadium/BBT stadium 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'd far prefer a link around uptown for the silver and airport (which I hope is just a part of the silver line).   A tunnel directly under the streetcar?  Redundancy to the max.   

A route like one of the ones they have drawn on their plans either around uptown to the north or south would add new service areas to the system, be far less expensive and not cannibalize another transit line.    The streetcar can circulate to points in the heart of downtown, while the light rail loops around to either the northern or southern edges of uptown. Looping along CSX to NS would still get to the Gateway Station, but add transit to NC Music Factory, Belmont, Lockwood, and First and Fourth Wards.  Looping around a new corridor to the south adds in Midtown and northern Dilworth that is already rapidly densifying and could support the transit.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I like the idea of a tunnel from US 74 -- CTC -- Romare Bearden out to Wilkinson.

But I think the Silver line will wrap around I-277 and go through CGS (Gateway Station) with a possible connection to Blue Line somewhere on the NE side of Uptown.

Agree with @dubone there is no way a tunnel under CityLynx makes any sense.. so cannot hit CTC and CGS with Silver line, have to chose one.

• Haha 1