CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red Lines

monsoon

13 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

And y'all thought power lines were ugly 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

54 minutes ago, Crucial_Infra said:

And y'all thought power lines were ugly 

Doesn't Cleveland have this, their "People Mover"? Though theirs in an attraction, not transit.

It's just kind of hard to imagine a network of cable-suspended gondola cars being feasible over that large a metro... though is that me being stuck in my paradigm?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Doesn't Cleveland have this, their "People Mover"? Though theirs in an attraction, not transit.

It's just kind of hard to imagine a network of cable-suspended gondola cars being feasible over that large a metro... though is that me being stuck in my paradigm?

I only know of Detroit's which is a monorail. I think Cleveland's was never approved.  The whole thing looks like something you'd ride at the state fair though I bet it'd have some cool views. 

Edited by Crucial_Infra
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

^ if it doesn't work in London it aint gonna work in Nashville.

https://tfl.gov.uk/corporate/publications-and-reports/emirates-air-line-performance-data 

(it was built for the Olympics and it still connects the city's largest concert facility to its largest convention center (on the other side of the Thames) as well as filling a minor gap in the underground system. It now runs at less than 10% capacity)

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

Although it's not not connecting to Downtown Orlando,  Disney's Skyliner is currently under construction to serve four of their five parks respectively.  No mention of a Magic Kingdom extension but found it odd that they terminated at EPCOT/BeachClub when the EPCOT monorail station is just a few blocks up the road. 

pic source:  Attractions Magazine

skyliner-map.jpg

WDWSKMM257898754-889x500.jpg

Edited by UPNoDa
  • Like 2

I could see a gondola working as a point to point airport to uptown option no stops in between. (Hold your pitchforks & all figures ballparked)

They are relatively cheap like $10-$15m per mile so all-in under $100m for ~6 miles (I have read streetcar cost ~4x and light rail ~8x as much per mile).  Not sure capacity of streetcar (current west corridor option) but assuming its maxes at 150-200 and 10-15 minute headways that's about 1,000 capacity per hour, comparable to a gondola going 10-15 passengers every 30 seconds with the benefit of not having to wait for a car.  The downside is that there would be no room for economic development along the route, but the current streetcar line isn't exactly booming either.

All that said I would prefer light rail from Matthews to airport.

On 5/8/2018 at 3:13 PM, KJHburg said:

Like Caracas?

Above-the-Barrio-copy.jpg?lbisphpreq=1

On 5/8/2018 at 4:32 PM, SgtCampsalot said:

Caracas is certainly a much, much larger metro than Nashville or Cleveland, and the gondola is a very serious, and greatly used mode of transport there. 

I love the idea of the gondola.  This could be the answer to connecting the SouthPark to the blue line, or Pineville or Ballantyne. 

Edited by JacksonH

On 5/12/2018 at 3:24 PM, JacksonH said:

Like Caracas?

Caracas is certainly a much, much larger metro than Nashville or Cleveland, and the gondola is a very serious, and greatly used mode of transport there. 

I love the idea of the gondola.  This could be the answer to connecting the SouthPark to the blue line, or Pineville or Ballantyne. 

I think there's a large cultural component to transportation that is often overlooked. For example, in Italy, there's no shame in riding around Rome in a Vespa. In the United States, the average American would think they were sacrificing a bit of their dignity if they gave up their car for a moped. I think that sentiment translates to other modes of transportation as well.  Something that is popular or even seen as practical in other places might not be viewed in the same light in the U.S. is all I'm saying. Americans prioritize the automobile above all else. Substitutes have to be VERY compelling to convince Americans to use other methods of transportation. The alternative options need to be overwhelmingly obvious.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 5/12/2018 at 2:47 PM, elrodvt said:

It's a dumb idea which will NEVER happen. 

This sounds like Charlotte mentality, always several steps behind.    It's a dumb idea until it becomes the best and most practical idea.  Smart cars were a dumb idea until tons of people started buying them.  Public wifi used to be a dumb idea, now it's expected.   I can remember when building the original Blue Line was a "dumb idea."  Charlotte may eventually get on board with this approach to public transit, but not until after it becomes established in other U.S. cities (it's rarely Charlotte's place to be the innovator or the visionary or the ground-breaker).

https://www.curbed.com/2017/9/21/16340394/urban-gondolas-cable-cars-cities

https://www.mnn.com/green-tech/transportation/blogs/are-gondolas-next-big-thing-urban-transit

https://www.wired.com/2012/11/austin-gondola/

https://www.denverpost.com/2016/12/25/gondolas-urban-transit-solution/

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2013/04/golden-age-gondolas-might-be-just-around-corner/5220/

Build a Gondola right down Tyvola/Fairview to SouthPark to connect with the Blue Line (no need to rebuild the road and take land away from property owners like you would need to do  with a rail line).  Build one from I-485 Station to downtown Pineville and Carolina Place Mall.

Edited by JacksonH

I agree CLT is always way behind and believe me I am not of a Charlotte mentality! LOL.

It's still a dumb idea though.... Quick, do we have a transit engineer on the forum? 

JH, BTW, I hope you don't take offense to my "dumb" adjective.  Not aimed at you personally!

Edited by elrodvt
  • Like 3