monsoon

CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red, Airport Lines

^Don't UPers have enough problems with overhead wires? ;)

On a serious note, any type of public transport with a DEDICATED RIGHT OF WAY (rail, bus rapid transit, gondola) is fine with me...

Edited by ChessieCat

Gondolas are the new monorails. Unless you have a topographical situation (like Portland's) then its not a practical solution worth serious consideration.

• Thanks 1

Kinda random question, but since the Gold Line goes on Trade St, does that mean that there will be overhead wires going through The Square with the extension? Personally, I think it would definitely ruin The Square.

3 minutes ago, bluehedgehogNS said:

Kinda random question, but since the Gold Line goes on Trade St, does that mean that there will be overhead wires going through The Square with the extension? Personally, I think it would definitely ruin The Square.

Nope, they are spending extra to purchase vehicles with batteries that will allow them to pass through the square without wires.

• Like 1

I lived in Soflo before moving here which is the land of underground wires and I don’t have any problem with overhead wires, Yes sometimes they are an eye sore but it gives streets a character sometimes. Just my opinion please don’t everyone attack me at once.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, DCMetroRaleigh said:

Although it is far from reality, there is a proposal to have a gondola transport people over the Potomac between Georgetown and Rosslyn-Arlington.

River gondolas are actually pretty appealing, in my opinion. Even New York has one next to the Queensboro Bridge over Roosevelt Island. Gondolas look significantly less attractive when there is no river or mountain involved.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:53 AM, ChessieCat said:

^Don't UPers have enough problems with overhead wires? ;)

On a serious note, any type of public transport with a FIXED RIGHT OF WAY (rail, bus rapid transit, gondola) is fine with me...

I've probably said this before, but if you hate overhead wires, don't go to Toronto.

Edited by Dale

55 minutes ago, kermit said:

More than one speaker today mentioned that the new transit plan will include running the airport line into Gaston (but none of them were CATS planners). (Same for Cabarrus, and they included discussion of building out the Phillip Morris site for TOD)

Conversely, more than one speaker from York county mentioned that their density is “just not there yet” for rail transit. 

Thanks for the summary!

• Like 1

I talked with a family member highly placed in local government about expanding our rail lines (won't say which community for their sake), and they seemed rather pessimistic about a big bang or even a silver line without major federal funds that they are pessimistic will happen anytime within the next decade.

They (and many leaders around here) are a firm believer in rail and fully support it, but fear we are closer to ending up like Nashville than Denver without a major change in Raleigh or DC in regards to funding priorities. 

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, just relaying their view from the 'inside'.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

The NC legislature will change ... from this Republican to that Republican.

But I wouldn't rule out the possibility of them softening a bit on rail transit.

• Confused 1