CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red Lines

monsoon

So I haven't heard anything but I'm guessing this whole redistribution of the NC Sales Tax is going to totally phuck up CATS budget. The fallout of this for Mecklenburg is going to be widespread.

I don't know much but I had assumed the transit tax was safe -- since its an additional tax on top of the state rate I thought it essentially remained within the county.

Regardless the impact on the transit tax, the teapublicans clearly never get tired of sticking it to the economic engines of the state. Why is Russo Rucho so quiet on this?

EDIT: Opps, all yankees look alike to me. (just kidding)

Edited by kermit

I don't know much but I had assumed the transit tax was safe -- since its an additional tax on top of the state rate I though it really just remained in the county.

Regardless the impact on the transit tax, the teapublicans clearly never get tired of sticking it to the economic engines of the state. Why is Russo so quiet on this?

Russo died of carbon monoxide poisoning after he fell asleep in a running car in a garage. So he will be quiet on this issue for quite a while.

If you mean Bob Rucho, he apparently disagrees with the plan as it exists in the current bill and plans on filing his own version.

http://m.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/state-sales-tax-redistribution-changes-horizon/nkZ2L/

Edited by cltbwimob

And McCrory seems to be against it so maybe it won't happen...

McCrory is no fool.  He knows he needs support from Meck and Wake to get re-elected.  NC is urban enough at this point (heck 20% of our state population is located in 2 counties) that it becomes a numbers game.  McCrory and his camp know this.

Edited by ah59396

Yeah, but this is also one instance where I think the fact that he was the mayor here helps.  He's got perspective on what is most important and needed for the city.

Agree completely.  I proxy voted for McCrory under the guise that he would be as moderate as he was when mayor of Charlotte.  I was wrong in that sense as he needed to appease his base.  But I've found him becoming increasingly moderate over the time he has been in office, which leads me to believe he understands the finer workings of politics while not forgetting completely the need for the economic engines of the state.  I have renewed faith in his ability to lead.

• Like 1

The good news is that this is a Senate proposal & doesn't appear to have much traction in the General Assembly. The problem I continue to have with the state is the inability for urban counties to continue to prosper. Urban counties should be allowed to expand the sales tax to more services. The state could then give a portion of that revenue to poor counties while the county could keep all it's local sales tax revenue .

Edited by js4life

Agree completely.  I proxy voted for McCrory under the guise that he would be as moderate as he was when mayor of Charlotte.  I was wrong in that sense as he needed to appease his base.  But I've found him becoming increasingly moderate over the time he has been in office, which leads me to believe he understands the finer workings of politics while not forgetting completely the need for the economic engines of the state.  I have renewed faith in his ability to lead.

I am kind of with you... I voted for bigMac in 2008 (for the same reason), but voted against in 2012...  didn't trust him with a R leg.  I agree he is tacking back to the center... but have absolutely no faith that he will lead anyone.  He appears to be diametrically opposed to his own party leadership.  That is not the makings of someone that will be successful in anything other than the next election.

I am kind of with you... I voted for bigMac in 2008 (for the same reason), but voted against in 2012...  didn't trust him with a R leg.  I agree he is tacking back to the center... but have absolutely no faith that he will lead anyone.  He appears to be diametrically opposed to his own party leadership.  That is not the makings of someone that will be successful in anything other than the next election.

That's a fair assessment.  It's tough to lead when you don't have a base.  And unfortunately these days it appears you're either a staunch tree hugging liberal or a frothing at the mouth conservative.  No middle ground to be had.

The good news is that this is a Senate proposal & doesn't appear to have much traction in the General Assembly. The problem I continue to have with the state is the inability for urban counties to continue to prosper. Urban counties should be allowed to expand the sales tax to more services. The state could then give a portion of that revenue to poor counties while the county could keep all it's local sales tax revenue .

The real purpose of this is to consolidate sales tax revenue under state control to make the shift from the income tax based revenue to sales tax based revenue more smooth.

... is there a legislative topic that we need to move to?

Huge regional and state divide in the state of Georgia over transportation funding as it deals with transit. Hopefully Charlotte and Raleigh can keep these issues in check, even with the crazy politics that seem to be spreading from Georgia and other states.

http://jaybookman.blog.ajc.com/2015/03/25/this-isnt-an-opportunity-for-georgia-this-is-a-last-chance/

The article mentioned the Lynx Red Line. I guess that is back in the works?

It has always been in the works. But whether it's closer to reality, I doubt it. I guess the Observer & Business Journal gods will have to shed light on the situation.

I would wet myself if the red like was closer to becoming reality. Wonder if Foxxy can throw any money at us.

Edit: http://m.wfae.org/?utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fsearch%3Fsafe%3Doff%26client%3Dsafari%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D480%26bih%3D269%26tbm%3Dnws%26ei%3DR8gUVcWBBtbcoATLhoHYDQ%26q%3Dcharlotte%2Bcommuter%2Brail%26oq%3Dcharlotte%2Bcommuter%2Brail%26gs_l%3Dmobile-gws-serp.3...312909.318404.0.318893.26.22.0.0.0.11.1344.12828.2-3j4j6j2j4j3.22.0.msedr...0...1c.1.64.mobile-gws-serp..20.6.4073.JrHXB4Tp8Qc#mobile/53767

To refresh our minds. (I believe) A deal fell through last summer for Norfolk Southern to share tracks with the red line. Norfolk Southern uses the line for 1 train a day. They pulled out because they were worried as their lease was expiring with state owned tracks, they might need to put more trains on the tracks the red line would use.

Maybe Norfolk Southern and CATS is reaching some sort of agreement that makes Gateway & Red like more possible.... Orrrrr this is just our local media blowing things out of proportion.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

I admit, I'm not as educated about the Red Line as I am other lines, as I don't venture to the northern suburbs of Charlotte, ever. So my questions is, have we ever gotten an explanation for the, what seems like, insanely low ridership predictions. 

I admit, I'm not as educated about the Red Line as I am other lines, as I don't venture to the northern suburbs of Charlotte, ever. So my questions is, have we ever gotten an explanation for the, what seems like, insanely low ridership predictions.

Its been a longgg time since I have looked at the models but me feeling was ridership was low in part due to:

1) limited frequencies outside of rush hour

2) passenger catchment areas essentially limited to three stops (in part due to the elimination of Moresville)

3) few opportunities for reverse commuting (the last mile problem is a big one in North Meck)

I do know that federal funding requirements have changed (in a way beneficial to the Red Line) since the initial analysis was completed. However it is also clear that a state funding match is no longer a possibility for the line.

Perhaps a miracle could happen and Tommy Tillis would throw off the shackles of his tea party oppressors and gather some pork for his home. (I am not holding my breath)

Edited by kermit

Its been a longgg time since I have looked at the models but me feeling was ridership was low in part due to:

1) limited frequencies outside of rush hour

2) passenger catchment areas essentially limited to three stops (in part due to the elimination of Moresville)

3) few opportunities for reverse commuting (the last mile problem is a big one in North Meck)

I do know that federal funding requirements have changed (in a way beneficial to the Red Line) since the initial analysis was completed. However it is also clear that a state funding match is no longer a possibility for the line.

Perhaps a miracle could happen and Tommy Tillis would throw off the shackles of his tea party oppressors and gather some pork for his home. (I am not holding my breath)

I still have no clue why the hell Mooresville was left out. I know there was some issues with the town but If the Red Line would benefit any town, Mooresville probably would be the main place to benefit.  

I still have no clue why the hell Mooresville was left out. I know there was some issues with the town but If the Red Line would benefit any town, Mooresville probably would be the main place to benefit.  

Iredell county commissioners were unanimously opposed to paying for their portion.

As mentioned by kermit, Iredell was strongly opposed. Mooresville even invested in changing downtown infrastructure in anticipation of trains passing through more frequently almost 10 years ago. In the end, Statesville is the county seat, and would see no commuter train. Mooresville's population is considerably larger now than it was then as well.

As mentioned by kermit, Iredell was strongly opposed. Mooresville even invested in changing downtown infrastructure in anticipation of trains passing through more frequently almost 10 years ago. In the end, Statesville is the county seat, and would see no commuter train. Mooresville's population is considerably larger now than it was then as well.

Ugh of course. It gets crazy listening to the transit bashers in Iredell County but I digress. Hopefully the Red Line picks up steam though. It seems as Mooresvilles getting way bigger and hopefully has more power in County politics then it did a few years ago.