CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red Lines

monsoon

13 hours ago, kermit said:

It appears that Dow is closing their Orr Rd facility (where they make adhesives). Unless the facility finds a buyer in the same industry this will likely remove one of the last freight sidings on the NCRR in Mecklenburg (the Craighead cement factory / scrapyard siding is the only other one that comes to mind). 

TLDR: Local tracks will become substantially friendlier to commuter and intercity passenger rail.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article229285554.html

Would love to see Kannapolis to CLT-Gateway commuter rail in the future along the NCRR.

Edited by ChessieCat
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Would love to see Kannapolis to CLT-Gateway commuter rail in the future along the NCRR.

That really should be Kannapolis to CLT-Gateway to Gastonia  and back but now we have Silver Line planned going into Belmont, so not sure if it would be viable.

18 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Just took the survey and gave my 2-Cent for what it’s worth.  CATS would be a fool to not extend this through to Ballantyne.  So many people work in Ballantyne and even more people pass through Ballantyne trying to get elsewhere.  Here’s my thoughts below;

Extending Blueline Lightrail should only have 4 stops total.  1 conventional Station in Pineville (I prefer the Mall Area over Downtown, more space for development and Bus Transfers), 3 in Ballantyne.  1st in Btyne at Corporate Park/Btyne Village Area should be a Major Park n Ride Deck/Station that would be well suited to receive riders from all the SC People coming Up/Down 521 daily.  2nd would be a conventional Station at MetLife/Community House Rd or Rea Rd/Stonecrest Area.  Last would be a Major Park n Ride Station on Providence Rd at the Waverly/Rea Farms Area that would be well suited to receive riders from all the Union County folks coming Up/Down NC16.

I understand that many of the Drivers commuting up and down Johnston and Providence are mostly affluent and don’t always trend towards public transit but the Traffic situation is so dire currently that they’d Park and Ride just like a lot of SC Folks coming out of York County currently do at the I-485 Park n Ride.   This Blue-Line Extension should most definitely happen concurrently with any Silver-Line Big Bang Work.  Even though 485 is receiving Toll Lanes now by the time everything is built (Toll Lanes in 3 years, Lightrail Extension in 10, etc) Traffic will still be heavy enough that peak usage would be very high.  Off-peak usage would be decent as well because there’s already good density in these areas of Ballantyne and more to come.

Need to have faster headways/3 train cars to deal with this.  Trains are already pretty damn crowded during rushhour.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XRZ.ME said:

https://www.apta.com/resources/statistics/Documents/Ridership/2018-Q4-Ridership-APTA.pdf

American Public Transit Asso.'s report ridership of all public transit for 2018.

A LOT of bad numbers for very many metros across the country.  Charlotte's ability to continue to create TOD is key to keeping this number rising

• Like 3

5 hours ago, XRZ.ME said:

https://www.apta.com/resources/statistics/Documents/Ridership/2018-Q4-Ridership-APTA.pdf

American Public Transit Asso.'s report ridership of all public transit for 2018.

CATS had the second highest increase in the nation in the 4th quarter?!

1657506982_ScreenShot2019-04-21at11_07_06PM.thumb.png.ce6ccc1d9ebc6d60a04bd645395b4715.png

(There's another page, just screenshotted one)

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Yea, probably should want it to be much higher

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not having anything built around 25th street (including the bridge that would connect the Collective and Villa Heights) is going to be a pretty big drag into 2020.  Eventually, though, that area is going to have an impact.

34 minutes ago, Desert Power said:

Not having anything built around 25th street (including the bridge that would connect the Collective and Villa Heights) is going to be a pretty big drag into 2020.  Eventually, though, that area is going to have an impact.

There were also connectivity problems for 36th St, and until recently Sugar Creek. Doesn't explain away all the ridership issues, but certainly noteworthy 

10 hours ago, kermit said:

Why did they pull the plug on the capacity expansion grant? Why don't they already have most of this design work done since the Blue Line was engineered to have three-car platforms before the value-engineering? Why hasn't anyone mentioned increasing frequency instead??

I still have twitch in my neck every time I remember their announcement about "postponing" (cancelling) the platform expansion.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

What is the impediment to just running more frequent trains? That seems like the easiest thing in the world that we can do right now.

More vehicles and more drivers. I think they are pretty close to their current vehicle capacity maximum at peak now.

Of course the vehicle cost of increased frequency could be roughly the same as running three car trains.

Edited by kermit
  • Sad 1

I find absolutely amazing the widespread support for light rail into Ballantyne.  Meanwhile, the City sees rapid bus service into the yet-unbuilt River District as a satisfactory alternative to light rail.

Amazing.

We should throw our widespread support over a River District that is built around light rail access.   Such a development, if done right, (coupled with unique riverfront development) would truly set Charlotte a part from other cities.

i think the ballantyne light rail would be more beneficial, it would pull alot of riders from the 485/s blvd stop though since i think most are driving from the ballantyne/521 area.    I dont think a river district/airport line would get many riders if it opened in the next 8years. Its to easy and cheap to hop in a uber from the airport and not have to wait and then walk to wherever you are going downtown from the train station. id love to have a line there but dont think it would get used enough and then everybody would call it a failure and not want anymore lines

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kermit said:

More vehicles and more drivers. I think they are pretty close to their current vehicle capacity maximum at peak now.

Of course the vehicle cost of increased frequency could be roughly the same as running three car trains.

Obviously they can hire more drivers. But the vehicles is troubling. Why is that, do they have too few "engines" or maintenance is too heavy?

I've seen them stack trains for a couple Hornets games. But not nearly enough times. That would be a start (special events in general). Then set a longer term goal to reduce the timing all day.

1 hour ago, kermit said:

I think the massive success of Southend has led people to think of LRT as more of a savior of downtrodden real estate rather than as a transportation system. I am not sure a Btyne extension would be getting as much attention if it were not for the pending implosion of Carolina Place and the desperation of Pineville to finally get connected. 

I bet. But I am bitter regarding Pineville. Let them stew. Skip that stop in the plan unless they pony up extra cash to cover the inflation since they made that decision.