Jump to content

monsoon

CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red, Airport Lines

Recommended Posts


I suffer cognitive dissonance in this forum reading how poor the current light rail service is, the failure to grow passenger numbers, operation mistakes, schedule unreliability: and then extension to Ballantyne, River District, Carolina Place, low density and car centric developments. This is difficult to reconcile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s poor management of the resource. A lot of these problems go away with better operations of the existing system. 

Poor ridership? Huh? Trains are packed and we need increased frequency... that is management/operations, not some sort of failing of the system itself.

There’s hundreds (1000+ ?) new apartments coming online that are literally directly at the train stations all along Optimist Park, Villa Heights, NoDa. Where do you think the vast majority of these young people are going to work? (Hint Uptown) Do you really think these young people are going to drive ~1 mile into Uptown and then pay to park??? or just hop on the train for 10 minute ride to work?

Rush hour trains are already filled and expanded service needs to happen pronto. This is squarely on CATS leadership.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Notwithstanding the other issues I mentioned, solely on the ridership question:

https://www.wfae.org/post/after-six-months-light-rail-unc-charlotte-has-fewer-riders-projected#stream/0

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article214184194.html

Still, I fail to reconcile these global issues with the cost and success anticipated with the dramatic extensions discussed. 

Is CATS itself discussing these options? Are there internal plans for Carolina Place, Pineville, Ballantyne? It is fine for us to employ our vision, if so labelled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

It’s poor management of the resource. A lot of these problems go away with better operations of the existing system. 

Poor ridership? Huh? Trains are packed and we need increased frequency... that is management/operations, not some sort of failing of the system itself.

There’s hundreds (1000+ ?) new apartments coming online that are literally directly at the train stations all along Optimist Park, Villa Heights, NoDa. Where do you think the vast majority of these young people are going to work? (Hint Uptown) Do you really think these young people are going to drive ~1 mile into Uptown and then pay to park??? or just hop on the train for 10 minute ride to work?

Rush hour trains are already filled and expanded service needs to happen pronto. This is squarely on CATS leadership.

Almost 2k units in OP/Villa Heights alone.  Sure, the train pass is cheaper than parking.  But not necessarily faster unless you are right next to the station and the trains run predictably

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know many of you have talked about CATS lack of real time tracking in a dedicated app, but Google maps provides what appears to be real time tracking now. In the photo (that I'll try to insert), the train icon on the left moves as the train does. I followed the progress of the train from the 25th St. Station down to Stonewall on Thursday night while I waited on the train.

Screenshot_20190509-213322.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, jednc said:

I know many of you have talked about CATS lack of real time tracking in a dedicated app, but Google maps provides what appears to be real time tracking now. In the photo (that I'll try to insert), the train icon on the left moves as the train does. I followed the progress of the train from the 25th St. Station down to Stonewall on Thursday night while I waited on the train.

If it is like the Transit app that I use the dot is an estimated location based on the schedule rather than real time tracking. The word "scheduled" in the screenshot reinforces that assumption.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kermit said:

If it is like the Transit app that I use the dot is an estimated location based on the schedule rather than real time tracking. The word "scheduled" in the screenshot reinforces that assumption.

I can't really say if you are right or wrong. I will say the train arrived at Stonewall station earlier than the schedule time but it seemed to be accurately depicted on the map. I don't have enough experience with it to really say more than that. That was the first time I had used it in that way. Back during the ACC tournament I followed the progress of the train I was on, on the Google maps app and it accurately depicted my location (I don't mean I tracked my location on the map, I mean I tracked the train's location on the station map).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It varies system to system. You could look at Chicago or San Francisco on Google for stops that have real time early/delayed information. CATS does not have this information available to the public in real time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As of the last meeting I attended it looks like CATS is going to begin a major Regional Discussion / Effort about addressing future Transit needs this summer.  It’s about time...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I were a google programmer, I would use real time GPS data from all the Android phones and google apps on iphones moving through the rail as poxy for real time train location.
Since blue line almost doesn't have tunnel. However I don't think they have enough incentive to work on that for cats.

Or if they have generlized the tool and can apply it everywhere.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, XRZ.ME said:

If I were a google programmer, I would use real time GPS data from all the Android phones and google apps on iphones moving through the rail as poxy for real time train location.
Since blue line almost doesn't have tunnel. However I don't think they have enough incentive to work on that for cats.

Or if they have generlized the tool and can apply it everywhere.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was in London all last week,,,, and guess, what.  They have it there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Their real-time app won't tell if you just missed a bus/train, just an estimated time of the next one based on its location, which they won't show.  Useless app.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.