CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red Lines

monsoon

I suffer cognitive dissonance in this forum reading how poor the current light rail service is, the failure to grow passenger numbers, operation mistakes, schedule unreliability: and then extension to Ballantyne, River District, Carolina Place, low density and car centric developments. This is difficult to reconcile.

It’s poor management of the resource. A lot of these problems go away with better operations of the existing system. 

Poor ridership? Huh? Trains are packed and we need increased frequency... that is management/operations, not some sort of failing of the system itself.

There’s hundreds (1000+ ?) new apartments coming online that are literally directly at the train stations all along Optimist Park, Villa Heights, NoDa. Where do you think the vast majority of these young people are going to work? (Hint Uptown) Do you really think these young people are going to drive ~1 mile into Uptown and then pay to park??? or just hop on the train for 10 minute ride to work?

Rush hour trains are already filled and expanded service needs to happen pronto. This is squarely on CATS leadership.

• Like 2

Notwithstanding the other issues I mentioned, solely on the ridership question:

https://www.wfae.org/post/after-six-months-light-rail-unc-charlotte-has-fewer-riders-projected#stream/0

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article214184194.html

Still, I fail to reconcile these global issues with the cost and success anticipated with the dramatic extensions discussed. 

Is CATS itself discussing these options? Are there internal plans for Carolina Place, Pineville, Ballantyne? It is fine for us to employ our vision, if so labelled.

1 hour ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

It’s poor management of the resource. A lot of these problems go away with better operations of the existing system. 

Poor ridership? Huh? Trains are packed and we need increased frequency... that is management/operations, not some sort of failing of the system itself.

There’s hundreds (1000+ ?) new apartments coming online that are literally directly at the train stations all along Optimist Park, Villa Heights, NoDa. Where do you think the vast majority of these young people are going to work? (Hint Uptown) Do you really think these young people are going to drive ~1 mile into Uptown and then pay to park??? or just hop on the train for 10 minute ride to work?

Rush hour trains are already filled and expanded service needs to happen pronto. This is squarely on CATS leadership.

Almost 2k units in OP/Villa Heights alone.  Sure, the train pass is cheaper than parking.  But not necessarily faster unless you are right next to the station and the trains run predictably

I know many of you have talked about CATS lack of real time tracking in a dedicated app, but Google maps provides what appears to be real time tracking now. In the photo (that I'll try to insert), the train icon on the left moves as the train does. I followed the progress of the train from the 25th St. Station down to Stonewall on Thursday night while I waited on the train.

Screenshot_20190509-213322.png

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jednc said:

I know many of you have talked about CATS lack of real time tracking in a dedicated app, but Google maps provides what appears to be real time tracking now. In the photo (that I'll try to insert), the train icon on the left moves as the train does. I followed the progress of the train from the 25th St. Station down to Stonewall on Thursday night while I waited on the train.

If it is like the Transit app that I use the dot is an estimated location based on the schedule rather than real time tracking. The word "scheduled" in the screenshot reinforces that assumption.

Just now, kermit said:

If it is like the Transit app that I use the dot is an estimated location based on the schedule rather than real time tracking. The word "scheduled" in the screenshot reinforces that assumption.

I can't really say if you are right or wrong. I will say the train arrived at Stonewall station earlier than the schedule time but it seemed to be accurately depicted on the map. I don't have enough experience with it to really say more than that. That was the first time I had used it in that way. Back during the ACC tournament I followed the progress of the train I was on, on the Google maps app and it accurately depicted my location (I don't mean I tracked my location on the map, I mean I tracked the train's location on the station map).

If I were a google programmer, I would use real time GPS data from all the Android phones and google apps on iphones moving through the rail as poxy for real time train location.
Since blue line almost doesn't have tunnel. However I don't think they have enough incentive to work on that for cats.

Or if they have generlized the tool and can apply it everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, XRZ.ME said:

If I were a google programmer, I would use real time GPS data from all the Android phones and google apps on iphones moving through the rail as poxy for real time train location.
Since blue line almost doesn't have tunnel. However I don't think they have enough incentive to work on that for cats.

Or if they have generlized the tool and can apply it everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was in London all last week,,,, and guess, what.  They have it there.

• Like 1