CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red Lines

monsoon

5 hours ago, southslider said:

There isn't a planned Rail Trail along Blue Line north of 12th or south of Old Pineville.  The only remaining gaps along Blue Line are between Remount and Tremont on the east side, plus the high profile gap across 277 between Morehead and MLK.

Yes true, but also once the Parkwood road diet is done, the connector from 12th will connect to the rail trail on Parkwood and Brevard... Ending at the creek.

I wish Highland Mill would allow their back alley, and The Yards would allow their main Street, to be a mixed-traffic bike/ped path, then it would connect directly to 36th St station. Right now there is an entirely pointless locked gate between Novel NoDa and The Yards' parking lot.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

On 8/27/2019 at 9:58 AM, kermit said:

How is this relevant to us? First, it is a virtual certainty that their will be heavy pushback against the next transit tax vote (and possibly another effort to repeal it once its underway). Second, we need to keep in mind that this pushback is likely to be quite thin, but with sophisticated marketing knowledge so that they look much more influential. Its much better to understand who these guys are before we begin the fight than let them take us by surprise. Finally, CATS needs to do it job well, declining ridership and construction mismanagement is going irritate us but also fuel the opposition.

I was under the impression that CATS was hitching their wagon to Value Capture to raise the majority of future revenue, and that a sales tax is completely off the table (unless the state legislature changes) and they are exploring other avenues.  Any insight into their plans?

6 hours ago, CLT> said:

I was under the impression that CATS was hitching their wagon to Value Capture to raise the majority of future revenue, and that a sales tax is completely off the table (unless the state legislature changes) and they are exploring other avenues.  Any insight into their plans?

I really haven't heard anything substantive about big bang financing. I have heard a bunch of casual chatter about value capture (including John Lewis on Charlotte Talks). My impression is that the city is comfortable with the estimated value that will be created by LRT expansion (and thus bond amounts) but the discussion has been focused on what portion of that value CATS should receive. This is the perfect time to issue those bonds, near zero interest rates are a true gift.

I have not heard anything which made me think value capture would be the only revenue source, so I have always assumed the local funding would be from a variety of sources. 

Don't read much into this reply, I don’t know much about the financing part  of the process.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

The planned route would seem to affect any future light rail into South Carolina, because it pretty definitively extends the line east instead of south. I wonder if rail into SC could now mean commuter rail along the existing heavy rail line to the 485 Station, where they could put a newly expanded multi-modal station where you'd transfer to light rail. Seems complicated.

Also, from the article "In the early 2000s, during planning for the initial Blue Line, Pineville’s town council said “no thanks” to transit because they were concerned about too much growth. Last year, the town council reversed the earlier decision, formally asking CATS to include it in expansion plans." That's VERY funny.

as for LYNX into SC that is unlikely in my book anytime soon.  They SC are just now starting to rebuild and expand some of their highways.  So much funding needs in the Charleston area, upstate.  Unless York county comes up with a financing mechanism I would not count on this anytime soon.     SC just does not have the money to do.   

• Like 2

17 hours ago, KJHburg said:

as for LYNX into SC that is unlikely in my book anytime soon.  They SC are just now starting to rebuild and expand some of their highways.  So much funding needs in the Charleston area, upstate.  Unless York county comes up with a financing mechanism I would not count on this anytime soon.     SC just does not have the money to do.   [SC just doesn't feel like paying for]

Fixed it for you.

• Like 3