CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red Lines

monsoon

• 2 weeks later...

CATS and CDOT will be conducting a bus-bike lane project in October. The plan is to take the right lane of fourth street from McDowell to the CTC and make it a bus/bike only lane, or a right turn only lane. They will analyze how it goes and make adjustments if needed. Other areas were considered for the pilot, but it was felt 4th would be a good first step to trying it out for the city. 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

CATS and CDOT will be conducting a bus-bike lane project in October. The plan is to take the right lane of fourth street from McDowell to the CTC and make it a bus/bike only lane, or a right turn only lane. They will analyze how it goes and make adjustments if needed. Other areas were considered for the pilot, but it was felt 4th would be a good first step to trying it out for the city. 

So we are going with a bike lane on 6th and 4th, instead of just closing Trade to private vehicles?  

10 hours ago, tozmervo said:

To the best of my knowledge, closing Trade has only ever been suggested on this board.

I first heard the idea from a city employee when East Trade was closed for Phase 1 Streetcar construction. He offered the idea in a context of “it makes sense, but the city will never do it — lets get another beer and talk about other ridiculous Charlotte ideas.” 

I heard the idea mentioned by a different  city employee years later in an unrelated conversation, but again the suggestion wasn't made seriously. The idea is out there, but its nowhere near the “lets think about how to make this happen” stage.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kermit said:
11 hours ago, tozmervo said:

To the best of my knowledge, closing Trade has only ever been suggested on this board.

I first heard the idea from a city employee when East Trade was closed for Phase 1 Streetcar construction. He offered the idea in a context of “it makes sense, but the city will never do it — lets get another beer and talk about other ridiculous Charlotte ideas.” 

I heard the idea mentioned by a different  city employee years later in an unrelated conversation, but again the suggestion wasn't made seriously. The idea is out there, but its nowhere near the “lets think about how to make this happen” stage.

Edited 33 minutes ago by kermit

I do like to post about it a lot...good to know others are thinking about it too

Also - at either this month's or next month's MTC meeting, there's an action item to award a consultant the Silver Line design contract. That would let a multi-year contract to allow a consultant to take the entire length of the line through initial design phases that would include refining the alignment and route. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

The one thing I absolutely love to see on my morning commute in on my Vespa is all the other people sharing Tryon street with bicycles, scooters, and all sorts of electric personal transportation vehicles. I routinely see electric skateboards, and even those 1-wheel balance board things. Mostly all sharing the road with the cars. At least for those few blocks uptown it brings a tear of joy to see everyone sharing the road.

Tryon street is my favorite street to be in anything but a car :)

• Like 2

Just reaching Fort Mill from 485 would be longer than BLE. Going all the way to Rock Hill from 485 would be longer than the entire Blue Line. Even barely crossing the state line via Johnston Rd would double the very short extension to Ballantyne via Carolina Place.

77 is becoming the prime BRT corridor. Already advancing in planning north to the Lake.  And logical to include south.  85 is the best commuter rail corridor. Especially northeast via NCRR.  74 is the only light rail corridor. But there too, only barely reaching adjoining counties to the west and southeast. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, kermit said:

Southsider is right, LRT is not the right choice (slow plus superduper expensive). McMaster just has no clue about how trains and transit works and I am not sure there is anyone in SCDOT who can set him straight.

All that matters is he is showing his transplant constituents that he is pushing for a popular rail connection to the metro his constituency moved to SC to still be a part of... As long as the two parties spin the negotions properly, DMU commuter rail can seem like a win to SC down the road.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Expect to hear a good bit more about regional commuter rail in the near future as the COG begins to roll out its regional transportation plans.

The Observer has an OK article on Commuter rail to Rock Hill. Nothing much in it we don't already know, but fortunately John Lewis did make clear that light rail aint going down there, no matter what McMaster says.  The article also mentions that SC counties can't, currently, join the MTC.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article235398657.html

None of this will happen for a long while, but as someone who was on 77 South today (a very rare occurrence) its very clear to me than waiting 10 years for regional transit is going to damage the region.

• Like 4

While interconnectedness is good, CATS should focus on building out the core system before all these commuter spurs.  Rock Hill is far and has a far smaller population than sections of Charlotte.  Clearly SC's motivation is like always. to pull economic interests from Charlotte into their state.  I'm happy the Blue Line is now pursuing the Ballantyne course, which has a far better result in connecting Charlotte business hub to residences.

If SC pursues and pays for something, good for them, I'm sure it won't be blocked, but it is really not a priority for CATS and Charlotte to try to do it. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

I second that notion wholeheartedly.  The LightRail system should serve Charlotte/Mecklenburg County.  Commuter Rail should be developed for North-South Corridor and East-West Corridors.  

Light Rail could go into Cabarrus and into Gaston and I'd be ok with it.