CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red Lines

monsoon

14 hours ago, JacksonH said:

I'm sorry, but the person who posted that comment in the WaPo scolding them for not spelling out the state where Charlotte is located should be ashamed of his or herself for being so ignorant.  That is absurd.  Who here does not know the states where these cities are located:  Indianapolis, El Paso, Nashville, Memphis, Las Vegas, Milwaukee, Albuquerque, Tucson, Fresno, Sacramento, Raleigh, Omaha, Tulsa, New Orleans, Cleveland, Bakersfield, Honolulu, Corpus Christi, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh?  Guess what these cities have in common?  All of them have populations smaller than Charlotte AND are in metro areas that are smaller than the Charlotte metro area. 

There are nearly 3 million people in the Charlotte area.  There are two major league sports teams in Charlotte.  Major national banks are headquartered in Charlotte.  A political convention has been held in Charlotte.  It's frequently cited for its rapid growth.  It's on national weather maps on TV and in newspapers.  During elections, North Carolina is frequently covered in the news because of its swing state status, and they always drill down on what's going on in Charlotte and Raleigh.  Bottom line: Charlotte is frequently in the news for various reasons pertaining to wide-ranging topics.  It's not a secret city! And it's stunning to me that someone who reads the Washington Post hasn't run across any of the numerous news items about the city to know what friggin' state it is in.

“Nobody’s ever heard of it. So everybody’s moving there.” 

— something that Yogi Berra might have said about Charlotte —

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Trickbot said:

It was dark and I couldn't get a good picture but there is a silver line vehicle at the north maintenance station 

You mean Gold Line -- the Silver Line is years away from ordering vehicles. There are four of Gold Line units at the North yard at the moment.

Edited by kermit

2 hours ago, kermit said:

You mean Gold Line -- the Silver Line is years away from ordering vehicles. There are four of Gold Line units at the North yard at the moment.

Yeah that's what I meant, I get my colors confused sometimes,  and the vehicle is similar to the current ones but a little lower and has a different paint scheme that is mostly silver

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting snippets from John Lewis on "Charlotte Talks" this morning. Among several, the reasons for not running the line into the airport were: 1)  "Security"  2) logistics of building bridges over obsticals would impede landings and takeoffs.   He said that the airport is working on ideas for "people movers out to a landing on Wilkerson".

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

I'll have to listen to that, thanks. Side note from this morning, caught the train a bit later than usual (just after 8:00) and it was only 1 car and jam packed. After 25th street I watched people at every following stop until 7th not board the train due to crowding. 

In the past month, I've seen them running a single consist during rush hour more and more. The rolling stock is in a need of an overhaul since daily equipment failures appear to be the new norm for the Blue Line. That said, there's not enough rolling stock to take much of the existing rolling stock out of service. Not clear why they have to test new trains for 1,000 hours before it's ready for passenger service?

Could CATS not just pay the Here Comes the Bus app group to handle their GPS tracking? Honestly CMS provides transportation for over 100,000 kids a day and while it isn’t perfect the Here Comes the Bus app is the greatest thing that’s happened to me in a long time. I can track my kids arrival to and from school down the almost the minute. I recognize that their transportation networks aren’t exactly the same but GPS tracking doesn’t seem very hard to provide anymore. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, kermit said:

The Major Accomplishments highlight section at the start of the document lists this as one:

• New South End Station

The station is almost completely funded, its identified as a cap project. Its prioritized 

11 hours ago, kermit said:

Having said that, I don't think commuter rail to the lake will ever be faster than the toll lane BRT which is currently planned to run direct from all of the existing park and ride lots beginning in February.

I have to agree with you. BRT will be a superior travel mode on the Red Line corridor. The only way I believe rail becomes viable to Mount Mourne is if it’s combined with rail service to Rock Hill as regional rail.