CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red Lines

monsoon

11 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Thanks for the heads up.  Any reason why they took this position?  Is it a safety thing or emissions or both?

I didn't look at the text of the bill (I suspect it was safety based). But the rumors around here were that it was entirely an effort to be obstructionist to CATS' BRT plans.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2020 at 3:19 PM, Hushpuppy321 said:

Articulated Buses - Why don’t we (NC) have any?  Was there a law passed...?

We used to have some, that were abandoned by MARTA and rehabbed by CT back in the 90s, and painted blue (compared to the white which all the buses were at that time).

• Sad 1

Whatever happened to the roll out of smart cards for payment? 

I know UNCC students are still using yet their IDs for proof-of-payment on LRT, but IIRC buses have been equipped with readers on the fare boxes and they can tap to ride when boarding a bus, 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great, but I remain wary of the possibility of success of any BRT system here in the States.

Those bus-only lanes are great in theory until general motorists start using them to cut in and out of traffic, as they are often difficult to enforce. Here in DC we have red "bus only" lanes but I still see folks driving in them. I've also seen numerous motorists drive in the "bus only" SBS lanes in NYC. 

Signal priority is also great until other motorists start complaining and begin to lobby to have the system turned off, as had happened in Cleveland with their BRT system. IIRC, the Boulder/Denver BRT project also had signal priority but was eventually canceled or turned off.

Those enhanced stations that offer features akin to a LRT station provide an easy outlet for cutbacks (removal of TVM and canopies, pay prior to boarding feature, etc) should the project go over budget.

I'm not against BRT per se, but I think if you are going to commit to such a project you need to design it right, with a dedicated ROW the entire length of the route with level crossings, otherwise you are simply looking at an enhanced bus service. I think LA Metro did a fabulous job with their Orange Line system. They are even adding crossing gates and grade separations to improve capacity and speed. It legitimately feels like a rail service. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kermit said:

It would have been much cheaper to build it as LRT right off the bat.

I'm not that too familiar with LA Transit policy, but didn't they have some bizarre anti-light rail law passed (similar to the articulated bus law here) that prohibited any rail expansion into the San Fernando Valley areas of the city unless it was a tunneled subway?

13 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

I'm not that too familiar with LA Transit policy, but didn't they have some bizarre anti-light rail law passed (similar to the articulated bus law here) that prohibited any rail expansion into the San Fernando Valley areas of the city unless it was a tunneled subway?

Yea, there was an anti-LRT law that applied to the Orange line route. I don’t recall the details of the law, but  they had to get it repealed to do the BRT to LRT switch. So you are correct that it could not have been initially built as LRT.

• Like 1

^ Great post! You are completely right about medians and an underutilzed mobility resource.

I totally agree there are places where BRT can work well. The clearest example is from North Meck where buses can get access to the express lanes into uptown. Pairing express lane access with dedicated bus lanes (w signal priority) within uptown will create a BRT route that is both faster than driving and relatively inexpensive (unfortunately folks in N Meck are not thrilled with the lack of rail). This was also the original plan for Independence out to Matthews. Depending on design specifics on 77 South widening BRT might also work well for Rock Hill transit.

Using BRT for intown transit (like Raleigh plans to do) requires very high frequency for it to change people's travel behavior, without 10 minute (preferably less) frequency, routes generally see poor ridership (not much better than the normal bus route it replaced). When BRT ridership is disappointing transit agencies often respond with reduced frequencies, basically making BRT an expensive 'normal' bus route -- this chases choice riders away and results in developers being completely uninterested in the BRT route for investments. This happened in Cleveland and I fear this frequency cut is about to happen in Richmond.

• Like 2

The Observer has a (short) story on the Ballantyne Blue Line extension

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article242672116.html

It mentions the three stations and preserving a right of way for the BLE-E but timelines are not discussed and no funding has been identified. Reading between the lines it does seem clear that Northwood recognizes that it will be impossible to add 7,000 jobs to the area without transit but....

7 hours ago, kermit said:

^ Great post! You are completely right about medians and an underutilzed mobility resource.

I totally agree there are places where BRT can work well. The clearest example is from North Meck where buses can get access to the express lanes into uptown. Pairing express lane access with dedicated bus lanes (w signal priority) within uptown will create a BRT route that is both faster than driving and relatively inexpensive (unfortunately folks in N Meck are not thrilled with the lack of rail). This was also the original plan for Independence out to Matthews. Depending on design specifics on 77 South widening BRT might also work well for Rock Hill transit.

Using BRT for intown transit (like Raleigh plans to do) requires very high frequency for it to change people's travel behavior, without 10 minute (preferably less) frequency, routes generally see poor ridership (not much better than the normal bus route it replaced). When BRT ridership is disappointing transit agencies often respond with reduced frequencies, basically making BRT an expensive 'normal' bus route -- this chases choice riders away and results in developers being completely uninterested in the BRT route for investments. This happened in Cleveland and I fear this frequency cut is about to happen in Richmond.

The bolded part above...didn't they actually build BRT lanes on Independence back in the 90s??  I lived there then, and remember thinking nobody would use it...and I think it was scrapped after just a couple years.  Or am I misremembering that??  

• Thanks 1

On 5/12/2020 at 8:17 PM, TheMightyBK said:

The bolded part above...didn't they actually build BRT lanes on Independence back in the 90s??  I lived there then, and remember thinking nobody would use it...and I think it was scrapped after just a couple years.  Or am I misremembering that??  

They built a reversible peak-direction lane that ended up being used as a demonstration busway.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, TheMightyBK said:

Wait...all that construction disruption and expense was just a demonstration?!? Why did the city bail on it?

The construction was ultimately for a hybrid arterial-expressway. The reversible lane just never went into operation, due to initially being too short on the oldest section by the Coliseum. By the time a similar project went all the way to 277, it was designed as a busway. But then, the City did bail on an exclusive busway, per their managed lanes study.  And as a result, the newest section from Sharon Amity Rd to almost WT Harris Blvd was designed as shared express lanes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hard Question for Here for you Transit knowledgeable folks; The proposed SilverLine (26 mile) vs the proposed DOLRT (17 mile) - what’s the difference in both proposals?  Strengths & Weaknesses of both.  I’m not that familiar with what challenges/opportunities are along the proposed SilverLine Corridor but am curious that if the DOLRT could be sidelined / critiqued (Re-read 2014 comments about terrible alignment & too many proposed Structures) Is SilverLine equally at risk.

Edited by Hushpuppy321

10 minutes ago, kermit said:

While the DOLRT was a weak design (particularly at the Chapel Hill end IMO) and was expensive on a per rider basis, the thing that killed it was duke university. Duke said that they weren't sufficiently involved in design and they were concerned about emf and vibration interference with hospital and research equipment. Since duke was in the middle of the route and was a big ridership generator they were unable to change the route when duke decided to say ‘no thanks.’ 

Duke’s decision was hinky for lots of reasons. Design and routing issues had been known for more than a decade but duke acted like they were surprised by the issues. Duke’s change in attitude was attributed to a new anti-transit hospital director and (it was rumored) a recent donation from the koch foundation (who regularly spends its money on anti transit activism). Not to mention there are many research hospitals with closer transit than DOLRT and duke.

In the case of the Silver Line we do not have any single entity who could pull the plug on the project. Towns at both ends of the line are enthusiastic (and if they change their minds they can be excised), we have a demonstrated strong ridership engine in uptown and the koch organization would get little traction here since we already have successful rail transit. I would bet on the silver line happening, our risk level is relatively low.

Thanks for the info!  One issue that was mentioned in the DOLRT thread (Triangle UP) was the lack of/poor opportunity for TOD along the alignment.  Do you think with the SilverLine Alignment that was published a year or more ago, there’s sufficient opportunity for TOD along the East-West Route?  Looks like will be hemmed in pretty tightly between Independence Blvd & Plaza-Midwood so not much redevelopment opportunity in that space.

Edited by Hushpuppy321

^ I haven’t looked closely at the route but I was under the impression there was plenty of room for redevelopment on most of the line (with the west section and the north end of uptown being the clearest opportunities). East of town will see a crapton of declining strip centers rebuilt into TOD and some considerable densification, there are tons of opportunities, but they are not as concentrated as Southend.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2