monsoon

CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red, Airport Lines

@AirNostrumMAD, My only comment is that looting has no grey area but riots can be protests. Not like the police would call a peaceful protest a riot right???

On 6/12/2020 at 11:48 AM, dubone said:

Property taxes, especially in the form of Tax Increment Funding are potentially the better approach to infrastructure.    I believe it ought to be more comprehensive, such as adding X-amount of property tax for all infrastructure that feeds to that area.   People are uptight about property taxes, but infrastructure directly benefits property values.  

I agree as long as there are low income provisions. Many states have good programs to keep the poor and elderly in their homes. NC has one but if I remember right, as with most programs here, the income level is ridiculous. Might have been ok in the 60's!

Edited by elrodvt
  • Like 1

This is for general mobility, not specifically CATS, but many on UP will be interested in this meeting on Tuesday night: 

https://charlottenc.gov/newsroom/releases/Pages/Charlotte-Moves-Task-Force-meeting-in-June-to-include-virtual-public-participation.aspx

Charlotte Moves Task Force meeting in June to include virtual public participation

Britt Clampitt
6/16/2020

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (June 16, 2020) – As the City of Charlotte continues to practice and promote social distancing, members of the Charlotte Moves Task Force invite the public to virtually participate in the task force's June 23 meeting. The meeting will be available to watch live on the city's YouTube page at 6 p.m.

The end of the meeting will be dedicated to residents' comments and questions on improving mobility in Charlotte. Residents are invited to discuss the task force's charges: guiding and realizing the vision for the city's Strategic Mobility Plan and helping to implement the plan by recommending transit and transportation projects and funding mechanisms that can transform mobility in Charlotte.

Members of the public can sign up to speak at the task force meeting by emailing [email protected] or calling 980-293-1245. The deadline to sign up is Monday, June 22, at 5 p.m. Speakers are asked to provide an email address or phone number when they sign up. City staff will reach out to speakers on Tuesday with instructions on how to participate in the virtual meeting.

Speakers will have three minutes to give their comments.

Submit comments in writing or by phone
As an alternative to speaking during the meeting, members of the public can submit comments by emailing [email protected] or calling 980-293-1245.

• Thanks 2

Filed under "kinda surprised it's not worse,"
May 2020 vs May 2019, local bus ridership down 57%, blue line down 74%. Total system down 64.9%

One interesting aberration: vanpool only down 31%. 

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, kermit said:

This is what CATS lists as the projects largest current risk: “Civil Contractor is ineffective in project specific trades like project management, rail installation and bridge construction resulting in poor budgeting, scheduling, construction, and/or quality

Yay, low-bid process gets us exactly what we pay for! What a deal!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, JRNYP2C said:

this has ALWAYS bugged me each time I rode from South Blvd. to Uptown.  Hell, I'd hop on for free too, but I'm too honest of a person.

Same here. I mean a 50 dollar fine should be enough of an incentive to always purchase a ticket. But if they aren't enforcing it ever then no one will buy tickets.

And the worst part is that this makes ridership seem a lot lower than it is in reality so it's hurting the chances for a "big bang" transit plan.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dubone said:

They have other ways of counting riders.   I would prefer they make transit fare-free, and only charge for parking.

The scofflaws will eventually be caught.    Checking tickets should be a regular enough process that people get used to imagining they'll be checked.    But really, during the COVID crisis, it's just not a priority because the trains aren't full.  

The also could have used fare gates, but i guess that would have made things more expensive and complex. It does take care of the checking ticket problem. 

Edited by JeanClt

2 hours ago, JeanClt said:

The also could have used ticket gates, but i guess that would have made things more expensive and complex. It does take care of the checking ticket problem. 

Much more expensive and much more complex. Gated systems are very tough to implement in open air and at-grade systems (how do you fence off the tracks at the end of at-grade stations?). Turnstiles and fences (not to mention their constant maintenance) would not come anywhere near to justifying their costs based on additional fare revenue collected.

Also keep in mind that most gated systems still have fare inspectors / enforcement needs, that cost does not completely go away. 

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, kermit said:

Much more expensive and much more complex. Gated systems are very tough to implement in open air and at-grade systems (how do you fence off the tracks at the end of at-grade stations?). Gates would not come anywhere near to justifying their costs based on additional fare revenue collected.

You'd probably have to build a tall fence around the station and then along the tracks probably 25-50 feet on each side of the station. It wouldn't look pretty, but it would probably mitigate fare jumpers. Would hiring more fare inspectors be worth the cost as well? Unfortunately there's not a lot of good options.

You'd probably have to build a tall fence around the station and then along the tracks probably 25-50 feet on each side of the station. It wouldn't look pretty, but it would probably mitigate fare jumpers. Would hiring more fare inspectors be worth the cost as well? Unfortunately there's not a lot of good options.

Well I was thinking more of hybrid in busier stations where it is possible to put fare gates. Although I guess it would be weird having them in some stations, and not others. But just having them mitigates the actual work to enforce it considering there’s only one way to get in and at least one officer would be sufficient. Also I don’t think anybody would use the tracks to get on the platform especially if someone was there. This is all speculation of course and I don’t think it would be practical to build them. You’re also right about not having many good options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1