CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red Lines

monsoon

5 minutes ago, kermit said:

They talk about a North-South greenway in the presentation, have we discussed that before?

Not that I can remember. I'm glad they are getting the concept somewhat correct now. This all might be far fetched, but I like it.

Considering this is something that we've been discussing here since the creation of this forum, I hate seeing any kind of timeline that pushes us into the 2020's.  Looking back to 2006, I never thought it may take upwards of 2 decades to get a functioning train station in uptown.  Le sigh.

• Like 3

On 1/17/2017 at 4:12 AM, Synopsis101 said:

What about CATS buses?

It was my understanding the Gateway Station and CATS terminal (and Blue Line) will be connected via the Gold Line. If you come in to town on a bus or train you'll have to hitch a ride on the Gold Line or walk a few blocks to be able to get wherever you wanna go. So I guess the question is: are there any future plans to move the CATS Terminal or re-route the Blue Line to connect with the Gateway Station?

1 hour ago, lit said:

It was my understanding the Gateway Station and CATS terminal (and Blue Line) will be connected via the Gold Line. If you come in to town on a bus or train you'll have to hitch a ride on the Gold Line or walk a few blocks to be able to get wherever you wanna go. So I guess the question is: are there any future plans to move the CATS Terminal or re-route the Blue Line to connect with the Gateway Station?

IIRC there are loose plans to make a secondary CATS bus hub at Gateway. I suspect that discussions of what should be done with the CTC and how big a hub to build at Gateway are paused until we know more about proposed routings for the Silver and West lines through uptown (rerouting the Blue Line is not an option)

Edited by kermit

^You gotta believe that we should be thankful the Blue Line Extension will be finished this summer. Looks like they plan to totally cut TIGER funding completely as well. Can't imagine any new transit projects getting off the ground unless they have some sort of private backing or other creative methods that don't rely on Federal funding. 

Edited by HopHead
typo

yea, Trump certainly won't be good for transit. That said, I would be surprised if the most dire speculations (e.g. the Heritage Foundation budget proposal) actually come to pass.

Regardless Trump's actions, the next four years will be a transit project drought in Charlotte (thank god Phase 2 is secured). However, I think the timing of Trump works well for Charlotte's urban future. Nothing new can happen at CATS before we have routes identified and preliminary engineering (e.g. cost estimating) completed. In addition we need to settle the question of how we will enhance our local transit funding.  Hopefully money for all this planning can be pulled from transit tax revenues. Getting this preliminary work done by 2020 may correspond to 1) a very strong progressive resurgence (10,000 protestors in Charlotte, 750,000 in LA!); 2) a major recession (Trump is just doubling down on Jr. Bush economic policies so look out for real, carbon-negative, stimulus in 2021) and 3) impressive ridership from the BLE and wrapping up Phase 2 without any stumbles (fingers crossed). If all these stars align,  Charlotte should be in great shape.

In contrast, the Triangle has _awful_ transit timing. A Trump run FTA combined with RWNJ supermajorities in Raleigh means that by the time they get funding secured their plans may be obsolete due to population growth.

Edited by kermit

23 hours ago, kermit said:

yea, Trump certainly won't be good for transit. That said, I would be surprised if the most dire speculations (e.g. the Heritage Foundation budget proposal) actually come to pass.

And you say this because?  

Obviously what he proposed on the campaign trail could be forgotten....we all know how that works after the last 8 years.  But he did commit to $1 trillion on roads, airports, pipelines and improvements to the grid.  http://fortune.com/2016/11/12/trump-transportation-priorities/

Here are some quotes from an interview given in October:

“We have to spend money on mass transit,” Trump said. “We have to fix our airports, fix our roads also in addition to mass transit, but we have to spend a lot of money.”

“China and these other countries, they have super-speed trains. We have nothing. This country has nothing. We are like the third world, but we will get it going and we will do it properly and, as I say, make America great again.”

So how again do you think Trump will be bad for transit?  

10 minutes ago, cjd5050 said:

Obviously what he proposed on the campaign trail could be forgotten....we all know how that works after the last 8 years.  But he did commit to $1 trillion on roads, airports, pipelines and improvements to the grid.  http://fortune.com/2016/11/12/trump-transportation-priorities/

“We have to spend money on mass transit,” Trump said. “We have to fix our airports, fix our roads also in addition to mass transit, but we have to spend a lot of money.”

“China and these other countries, they have super-speed trains. We have nothing. This country has nothing. We are like the third world, but we will get it going and we will do it properly and, as I say, make America great again.”

Because their new budget process appears to be tracing plans laid out by the ultra-conservative Heritage Foundation, which zeros out funding for non-road transit and even phases out the FTA over a period of time. There's still a thousand unknowns out there, but the concern is legitimate.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, cjd5050 said:

forgive me for being skeptical of donald's campaign promises. ("i'll release my tax returns when my audit is over.")

plus: the Heritage foundation budget proposal trail balloon was an indicator of what the hardcore GOP would like to see (the gop congress has been clear they are not on board for stimulus)

plus: the PPP nonsense donald likes to talk about ifor funding his 'trillion dollar' stimulus is not well suited to transit

EDIT: toz beat me to it

Edited by kermit

43 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Because their new budget process appears to be tracing plans laid out by the ultra-conservative Heritage Foundation, which zeros out funding for non-road transit and even phases out the FTA over a period of time. There's still a thousand unknowns out there, but the concern is legitimate.

Valid points.  

I think the best way to frame it is transit should be a concern and is unknown rather than it's going to be YUUUUGE or it's going to be bad then.  

I'll also add that it's pretty obvious that Trump likes building things out of ego.  Don't think it's a reach for him to want to have a massive rail expansion project under his name simply for the legacy aspect of it.  At least that's my hope and right now I think it's ok for cautious optimism.

Edited by cjd5050
expanded