CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red Lines

monsoon

I have heard that $8B of the $9B will be used to build high speed rail between Los Angeles and Las Vegas. No doubt a pet project for Harry Reid.

I heard this rumor too, but a representative from Harry Reid's office came out and said basically they'd love to see the LA-LV line built, but it Reid's line will in fact will be just included in the competitive grant process. There is no language earmarking anything for anything in the bill.

Thanks for linking to the stimulus bill, Staffer. The HSR grant is on page 237. Here are the specifics:

• $8 billion
  • Will be available until Sept 30, 2012
  • A strategic plan for how the money will be used is due in 60 days
  • A procedure for how the grants program will be operated and the criteria for applicants to follow is due in 120 days.
  • Does not have to be used on projects that are already in a state's Rail Plan
  • Does not require matching state funds (but presumably, it might help an applicant's chances, as in California)

The PBS show NOW did a pretty good piece on the state of Mass Transit in America and how the Obama stimulus might affect that. Guess who they decided to focus on? CATS. Always nice to get a viewpoint from people that don't live here.

You can watch the show here:

http://www.pbs.org/now/shows/507/index.html

They also interview Geen Conti from NCDOT, and David King from TTA.

^ The exposure is wonderful, and that PBS special was thoroughly enjoyed. Unfortunately when it comes to the reality, I as an optimist don't expect to see much out of it but maybe some upgrades like the platforms extended and maybe, MAYBE, partial funding for either the North or the NE line, but not both and not either as much as we'd like. I'm excited about the amount of transit money as it will provided a much needed boost in transit country-wide after seeing how little has been invested over the last 8 years from the fed, however, it's not nearly as much as I would have preferred that would give the overhaul country wide that would change the image of the US. Much of the stimulus is providing the high speed rail from Vegas-LA, and that is causing a lot of negativity towards transit projects, especially by the GOP, as it's viewed as pork. It's a very expensive project that is taking away from the diversity that the money should be invested in. Guess we will see how things snowball...

Much of the stimulus is providing the high speed rail from Vegas-LA

This is a rumor that Republicans concocted to create controversy and outrage where there is none. There is no such earmark in the bill. I addressed the subject in an earlier post, but Harry Reid himself admits his pet project will have to wait in line and compete with other projects to get built. I would guess that the prospects for his pet project, a $14 billion maglev line from the LV strip to Anaheim near Disney World, are honestly not good.

North Carolina and Virginia (and their HSR project) actually stand a reasonable chance at getting some money from this bill. The LV Maglev, not so much. There is an alternative, $3 billion proposal on the table for LV, though, that is more likely to see the light of day, but I have no idea whether either LV project is far enough along in the environmental review process to make it in time for the stimulus bill.

This is a rumor that Republicans concocted to create controversy and outrage where there is none. There is no such earmark in the bill. I addressed the subject in an earlier post, but Harry Reid himself admits his pet project will have to wait in line and compete with other projects to get built. I would guess that the prospects for his pet project, a $14 billion maglev line from the LV strip to Anaheim near Disney World, are honestly not good.

No doubt, I'm just saying this was brought up, primarily by the GOP in the senate (although I believe there were a few Demo's as well) regarding this project and qualifying it as an earmark. There were other projects, such as the San Fran Rat fiasco that I don't understand and some other projects that some are saying are earmarks. I overheard someone on CNN that said it best- earmarks are nothing more than an opinion. Some can call something an earmark while others can justify it. Anyhow to the point, it's good that it did end up getting on hold if it in fact did; I missed that release of news today/yesterday if it did in fact. It's not a bad project in terms of providing high speed rail/infastructure that would create jobs and help with sustainable alternatives of transit, but there are projects that are more deserving with a limited transit fund pool.

The large metro areas of NC are jam with traffic and little help in sight. I hope the NCDOT will make the right choices with money from the Stimulus package on how the money is spent. I know of 2 bridges on I85 north of Salisbury that needs to be replace could be a starter.

The NPR video was good reporting on the NCDOT failure to address the most critical projects in the state to fund. Hopeful we will see a change.

This doesn't have anything to do with CATS, but I found it an interesting graphic for those who link transit.

Number of silhouettes = amount of annual riders.

Length of trains = length of system in miles.

http://awesome.goodmagazine.com/transparen...ngthetrain.html

I have duplicated this in the Urban Transit forum if anyone else would like to discuss this particular chart further:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/Subway-u...rac-t49091.html

I know that the Google Transit is something CATS has been working on. It would have been done earlier...but most of last year their focus was on getting the Blue Line up and running.

Mary Newsom (Charlotte Observer) confirmed this with Keith Parker (CATS) today. Google is fronting all finances to make this possible. It will certainly be nice to view schedules within Google Maps, particularly on devices such as the iPhone. :)

Unfortunately it won't have information if a bus is running late or other delays, but it will provide more than what is available right now...which is nothing.

http://marynewsom.blogspot.com/2009/02/cat...le-transit.html

Mary Newsom (Charlotte Observer) confirmed this with Keith Parker (CATS) today. Google is fronting all finances to make this possible. It will certainly be nice to view schedules within Google Maps, particularly on devices such as the iPhone. :)

Unfortunately it won't have information if a bus is running late or other delays, but it will provide more than what is available right now...which is nothing.

There was also mention of a new blog dealing with NC Transit

http://tarheeltransit.wordpress.com/

I know that the Google Transit is something CATS has been working on. It would have been done earlier...but most of last year their focus was on getting the Blue Line up and running.

When you mentioned that it was being looked at, I wondered if it would come with the new timetables that roll out on March 2. Now I suspect that will indeed be the case. Excellent!

I don't think the two are tied together, though that would be the desired outcome. The high speed rail service can be operated out of the N.Tryon station. Keep in mind the GW Station is modular. So if Amtrak moves the station to there off-N. Tryon, then only the portion related to that service would be built by the Feds or state. The other portions, such as the CATS North Commuter Rail portion, the office tower, and the bus terminal could remain unbuilt.

Except the station platform, canopy, and vertical circulation to Trade and 4th, all of which could be shared between CR and SEHSR, just different lines either side of the shared station. Besides, the office tower, an intercity bus terminal, and even bays for CATS buses are evidently all on hold now. In other words, the Gateway Terminal may just becoming a nicer station, not too different from CTC/Arena.

This is a rumor that Republicans concocted to create controversy and outrage where there is none.......
It continues. There was a GOP congressman on Fox News this week that referred to the HSR portion as funding to build a whore train. (since prostitution is legal in Nev.)

• 3 weeks later...

Google Maps now has CATS Transit available.

I submitted a request to Tele Atlas (Googles Supplier) asking them to show the LYNX stations...we'll see how long it take for them to show up.

Another painful flaw - when searching for directions to "Charlotte-Douglas International Airport" it works fine for cars, but it doesn't show the #5 bus when you choose transit. If I choose an intersection along Wilkinson Blvd, it will should the #5 route.

The Environmental Review is currently accepting input before it gets sent on to the Fed's for Gateway Station. Nothing new or exciting in the review worth reading (in my opinion) but its good to see this project is still moving forward. Public comment period ends this next week.

• 2 weeks later...

Parker, the current head of CATS, gave an interview on channel 36 this morning. Some items that caught my attention were.....

• Engineering work on the NE rail extension is currently 15% complete. The remaining engineering work is estimated to take at least 2 more years. (Once this work is done, they can then apply to the federal government for a funding decision.) Based on this, and considering how well CATS meets its own schedules, I am going to revise my date for opening, if built, to 2016 at the earliest.
  • Engineering work for the North Commuter Rail to Iredell (they still identify it as such) is essentially complete. However they have no money to build it. They will wait until the engineering work on the NE line has been completed and then a decision will be made on how to move forward. It should be noted, there is no money to build it either.
  • The Center City Streetcar project that has currently hit the news is NOT a CATS/MTC transit tax project. Parker says this is being handled by a group put together by the city though CATS has provided a couple of individuals to provide some "leadership". If it moves forward it will be the city of Charlotte which will fund it. Though some of the local commissioners have said they would provide local money to make it happen, the city does not have the money to do it. Parker says he assumes CATS will do the work if the city moves to proceed, but currently this is not part of his planning.

Most of the interview was un-engaging as the bubble headed interview given by wcnc was basically just letting Parker speak his mind. It's a shame that Charlotte isn't a port city as they simply could have called a pirate ship in so that Polly the Parrot could have given it. Yaaarg. I do at least give channel 36 some credit for trying to create some local content on its station.

I guess IMO, it could be boiled down to "we don't have enough money". The citizens were promised this wouldn't be the case if they voted for the transit tax a 2nd time, but as we see, without tying tax money to performance, these kinds of promises aren't worth the air it took to spew them out.