CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red Lines

monsoon

3 hours ago, kermit said:

How many more of you all would buy a CATS pass if it were $1 a day?

Having a pass has seriously changed my ridership patterns. Although better weekend and off-peak frequencies would make me ride even more.

My wife works in Uptown 4 days a week and takes the lightrail. Currently it is an extra $14.00 a month if she wanted a monthly pass versus a daily. I understand they want frequent riders to pay, but if they were to reduce a monthly pass to $70 or something lower/more economical for slightly below peak ridership, I honestly would think they would make more money. Especially if they would include people who only pay when cars are being checked or who don't have a traditional commute 5 days a week. 

• Like 3

I used to ride but couldn't find the right daycare off the light rail. I drive daily now to be able to chain trip my pick up / drop off while en route to work. If I could run more errands off the light rail while on my way home, I'd certainly pay the fare. I wish we had a better concentration of services around stations. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

So, it's a new month and there are new rezoning applications with site plans up for browsing...

I think I've found one of the first (the first?) rezoning application that specifically lists Silver Line Extension reserved ROW.  I have to say I am very happy to see the ROW reservation already in place!

See for yourself 2019-070

image.thumb.png.cbc5d716b376c1d4f2a810b9752bb6ab.png

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Scribe said:

So, it's a new month and there are new rezoning applications with site plans up for browsing...

I think I've found one of the first (the first?) rezoning application that specifically lists Silver Line Extension reserved ROW.  I have to say I am very happy to see the ROW reservation already in place!

See for yourself 2019-070

Great to see! but then also the irony of it being part of a car dealership. At least that's not taking up space immediately next to a planned stop (village lake station would be about 3/4 mile south)

3 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Great to see! but then also the irony of it being part of a car dealership. At least that's not taking up space immediately next to a planned stop

I know, but it seems that will be the problem for a big chunk of the Silver Line corridor south of Uptown.

So, looking further, there is another rezoning petition that is just north of the one above and is asking for MUDD-O zoning for Residential Multi-Family on ~4 acres of land. Is it me, or is this a pretty good indicator developers are gobbling up the land with Silver Line in mind 10+ year ahead of speculated opening date???

image.thumb.png.763de67f474c6e539c6fd1b896374b5d.png

• 2 weeks later...

Not too far off from the Census Bureau data for the city of Charlotte. A higher percentage walking and taking transit, but overall still car dominated even among development enthusiasts. Not extremely suprising. I have a friend for example that drives from Stonewall apartments to Gateway Village every day (~1.2 miles) in order to not have to walk under the train tracks near the Greyhound station or walk alone at night in winter.

2017 American Community Survey, city of Charlotte data:
Drove alone: 76.6%
Carpool: 10.2%
Public Transit: 3.5%
Walked: 2.0%
Bike: 0.2%
Taxi / Motorcylce: 1.1%
Work at Home: 6.3%

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

I have a friend for example that drives from Stonewall apartments to Gateway Village every day (~1.2 miles) in order to not have to walk under the train tracks near the Greyhound station or walk alone at night in winter.

I definitely get not wanting to cut over between 4th and 6th or walk by the Greyhound station, but man that's a great commute! Greenway pass through by BOA stadium and up Cedar would be like a 10 minute bike ride or 25 minute walk on quiet streets. Once it gets dark I would still feel comfortable there but would feel a bit on edge of having my wife make that walk after dark so I do partly understand your friend's decision 

Let's just be honest: the person who lives on Stonewall will probably find any excuse to drive as long as it is easier than walking. 10 min drive + 5 min walk > 25 min walk.

IMO, the problem isn't the bridge itself, its that the spaces on either side of it aren't very inviting. Bridges aren't a barrier if you have enough light and activity. The new building on the Polk site combined with Gateway station will change the vibe there quite a bit, plus it will move greyhound. 

• Like 2

There are definitely going to be individual cases that do unique commutes and will not be captured by any option beyond the traditional driving approach, especially when there is no trend that reduces the parking the requirements of developments in this city. 

Obviously this particular case might improve with Gateway Station work and the efforts to improve the railroad bridges, but hopefully there is a trend that improves general safety for women and all people.     A scary encounter can be in an automobile, a walk, a scooter, a bus, a train...   I know I have had some scary experiences on a bus that have made me reluctant to bother with the inconvenience, which is true of a huge swath of society.  But I also know statistically car travel is dangerous, so I try to live/work/play in a reasonable radius that I can bike or walk.     Train commutes have been much better experiences for many but they certainly do give people some exposure to different dangers than driving.  

Virigin Train USA (Brightline) seems in progress to add 3 more stops to the exsisting service. This makes them more like commuter rail.

And according to their ridership disclosure. Ridership is almost flat since Q4 2018

Would be interesting if they still working on their original idea for Charlotte to Atlanta

3 hours ago, XRZ.ME said:

And according to their ridership disclosure. Ridership is almost flat since Q4 2018

Would be interesting if they still working on their original idea for Charlotte to Atlanta

Ridership isn’t a surprise since they are still just running a three-stop commuter service between W Palm and Miami (which was already being operated by Tri-rail on a parallel route). The Orlando extension will open next year, traffic on that will determine the future of privately funded passenger rail in the US.

They are busy with behind the scenes stuff for a Victorville (suburban LA) to Las Vegas train and all indications are that they are talking to the various DOT’s about ROW from Atlanta to Charlotte (but there has been nothing public about that other than John Lewis’ remarks at the last MTC meeting). It does look like that they are confident in their ability to raise -huge- amounts of capital in fixed income markets (at the moment) and their corporate parent (Softbank) has been encouraging them to grow quickly (disclaimer: I am not an expert).

Atlanta to Charlotte is still a long shot,  but if it happens I think will will hear something official by this time next year (and I think there is a 20% chance that Brightline / Virgin will submit a proposal for Gateway).

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2