CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red Lines

monsoon

Not many details yet on the specifics of funding but it sounds like the MOVES task force is recommending the max sales tax increase (1%) which is estimated to raise $6.6 billion over 30 years.  Based on that number it sounds like they are also recommending a relatively small property tax hike. Seems like a kinda regressive way to go....

The sales tax hike will require legislative approval. The plan goes to council on the 14th. Everybody says it needs to go to referendum this year.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article247575565.html

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, kermit said:

Not many details yet on the specifics of funding but it sounds like the MOVES task force is recommending the max sales tax increase (1%) which is estimated to raise $6.6 billion over 30 years.  Based on that number it sounds like they are also recommending a relatively small property tax hike. Seems like a kinda regressive way to go....

The sales tax hike will require legislative approval. The plan goes to council on the 14th. Everybody says it needs to go to referendum this year.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article247575565.html

The sooner it goes the better. This needs to start getting built out now. Does the actual proposal include more cars for Blue Line and expansion to 3 car stops? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

Does the actual proposal include more cars for Blue Line and expansion to 3 car stops? 

AFAIK they haven’t reached this level of detail yet. They have released some maps which show route improvements, and the Btyne extension is on those maps. I would not imagine they would build that without expanding the remainder of the platforms but that is just an assumption on my part. The federal govt was amenable to funding a large portion of the platform extension back when the project was underway via their capacity enhancement grant program.

They are looking at building a $12 billion pot of money for ‘mobility.’ The Silver Line is currently WAG’ed at $3.5 billion (ish).

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, kermit said:

AFAIK they have not been that specific with the plan yet. They have released some maps which show route improvements, and the Btyne extension is on those maps. I would not imagine they would build that without expanding the remainder of the platforms.

They are looking at building a $12 billion pot of money for ‘mobility.’ The Silver Line is currently WAG’ed at $3.5 billion.

This city absolutely needs improved urban transit investment and I'm a huge proponent for, but damn is it hard even for me to support $12B in blank check funding given how poorly CATS has been doing with their current lines/budgets

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

How about someone asking our newly reelected Senator from  Cornelius to speak to NS that it would be in their best interest to participate in genuine discussions with NCDOT & CATS to sell the underused Red Line  to the NCRR ..  

I remember reading how NS’ predecessor had like a century-long lease on using the NCRR line. Maybe the state could reach another similar deal, in exchange for allowing CATS to use the O-Line. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, davidclt said:

This doesn't bode well for mass transit in the bigger cities (of which Charlotte is increasingly becoming by fits and starts): ‘Existential Peril’: Mass Transit Faces Huge Service Cuts Across U.S. - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

I'm not very optimistic about the attempt to get a big transit bill passed next year.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, CLT> said:

Interesting comparative look at transit agencies by Opex per train hour.

IMG_8067.thumb.JPG.360c0b45a14c0a812d3bcf9ac7cf2fb8.JPG

https://twitter.com/a320lga/status/1336095052553195526?s=10

Super interesting! While the bar chart does not lend itself to precise interpretations, I'll make a couple of observations anyway...

• General administration expenses look kinda high for us relative to peers
  • Facility and vehicle maintenance expenses are likely to be artificially low since the BLE is only 3 years old and the Blue Line is still less than 15 years old. Nearly all of the systems on the right are much older (and are all heavy rail) so upkeep costs are expected to be  higher -- its not necessarily an indication of poor management.
  • Higher ops costs for PATH and MTA are due to union rules which require both a engineer/driver and conductor on each train. I believe these are the only two non-commuter US transit systems with 2 person crews. Its not clear from the data if the operating expenses include the cost of station attendants / ticket sellers/takers (e.g. every WMATA and CTA station has an attendant)
  • Good job keeping vehicle opex low, but as we saw with the bungled overhaul of the 100 series vehicles just before Covid, that spending is, as davidclt says,  "pound foolish"

Having said all that, the headline number looks good for the rail portion of CATS, that will certainly help when referendum time comes around.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3