CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red Lines

monsoon

1 hour ago, joenc said:

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2020/01/11/buttigieg-plan-a-national-vision-zero-plus-other-goodies/

• More public transportation. Buttigieg’s plan calls for “$150 billion to support cities and towns in providing equitable public transportation, including improved options for subway, light rail, bus rapid transit, and last mile service.” That’s an over 13-fold increase over the Federal Transit administration’s 2019 budget of $11.2 billion. The inclusion of “last mile service” under the transit umbrella is an intriguing departure from the status quo, too — and it might just give micro-mobility providers the public transit dollars they need to finally stabilize. 
  • More public transportation — but in the country! Did you know that the majority of public transit system miles are in rural areas, but just 12 percent of FTA dollars last year were requested for rural systems? Now you do! Buttigieg would up rural transit spending from $659 million to a whopping $12 billion.
  • Better connected intra-city rail. This one kinda goes with the last one, but seriously: we’d love to finally kill the argument that America can’t end autocentricity because we can’t get between far-flung cities without a car. Better national rail connectivity sure would help with that. 

Rural Public transportation is one of the few public transportation concepts I think is extremely dumb and would not support. Yes, there are a few people it could help, but rural communities tend to be fiercely independent, and I cannot imagine public transportation would get used in a way that would support spending 12 billion dollars. Think of the mindset of people who live in rural communities. Independency is a large part of that. 

4 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

Rural Public transportation is one of the few public transportation concepts I think is extremely dumb and would not support. Yes, there are a few people it could help, but rural communities tend to be fiercely independent, and I cannot imagine public transportation would get used in a way that would support spending 12 billion dollars. Think of the mindset of people who live in rural communities. Independency is a large part of that. 

That's just a meme and even then depends where you are in the country. There are rural parts of the country that are historically more pro-social than the rural South is now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, joenc said:

That's just a meme and even then depends where you are in the country. There are rural parts of the country that are historically more pro-social than the rural South is now.

Even those parts are very independent. Rural Illinois for example would strongly balk at public transportation. Having worked in Marion and Steeleville a long time ago areas like that would not be very accepting. 

This makes me recall (somehow) my mother's father. He was born 1872 in rural Kentucky and was a farmer most of his life. The rest was cotton mill work when his wife taught him to read and add and subtract so he could keep track of employee time records. Visiting him on the farm while a boy I recall him telling me that when electricity came life changed utterly. As an adult we can understand how electricity revolutionized life but it happened to him. In his telling Franklin Delano Roosevelt himself brought electricity to their farm and my image was FDR climbing a pole. My mental image was actually close to the emotional impact of grandpop's telling. Imagine my surprise when I learned at age 8-9 that FDR was a polio cripple. 

It was this project:

https://livingnewdeal.org/glossary/rural-electrification-administration-rea-1935/

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, jednc said:

As far as the sales tax increase, this is not going to fly in North Meck...

“It’s offensive to so many people who live in my district who believed they would have a light rail more than 20 years ago,” she said Tuesday night. “It is offensive to the majority of the population to ask for an additional tax for us to pay for the rest of Mecklenburg County.” (District 1 Commissioner)

People here just aren't interested in paying more for broken promises.

I want progress in Charlotte, but I'm also annoyed that we need a massive long-term capital improvement tax hike just to get "complete streets" everywhere in inner city Charlotte.   Should already have been done.  Why can't every street have wide sidewalks and protected bike lanes, and seamless integration with the ever-expanding greenway system.  How much would a plan just addressing pedestrians, cyclists, greenways, and entire roads dedicated to buses (not just dedicated lanes, but yes, dedicated bus-ROADS) cost?  Then you align land use and zoning to dedicated-bus avenues, encouraging density along such mass transit dedicated roads.  I'm guessing we'd spend a fraction of the cost.  Light rail is nice, but I think I'd rather get people out of tents before spending billions on it.

If we abandon light rail at this time, there's still plenty of opportunity for a "messaging campaign" on how progressive we are on mobility, including massive expansion of the greenway system, rolling out a greenway and bike path "GPS" solution that formulates carbon-neutral travel plans for locals...ensuring that every street in center city Charlotte looks like one you'd find in Berlin or Munich, complete with massive and activated sidewalks, protected bike paths, and more small street connections akin to what's happening in NODA.  

Edited by RANYC

10 hours ago, RANYC said:

I want progress in Charlotte, but I'm also annoyed that we need a massive long-term capital improvement tax hike just to get "complete streets" everywhere in inner city Charlotte.   Should already have been done.  Why can't every street have wide sidewalks and protected bike lanes, and seamless integration with the ever-expanding greenway system.  How much would a plan just addressing pedestrians, cyclists, greenways, and entire roads dedicated to buses (not just dedicated lanes, but yes, dedicated bus-ROADS) cost?  Then you align land use and zoning to dedicated-bus avenues, encouraging density along such mass transit dedicated roads.  I'm guessing we'd spend a fraction of the cost.  Light rail is nice, but I think I'd rather get people out of tents before spending billions on it.

If we abandon light rail at this time, there's still plenty of opportunity for a "messaging campaign" on how progressive we are on mobility, including massive expansion of the greenway system, rolling out a greenway and bike path "GPS" solution that formulates carbon-neutral travel plans for locals...ensuring that every street in center city Charlotte looks like one you'd find in Berlin or Munich, complete with massive and activated sidewalks, protected bike paths, and more small street connections akin to what's happening in NODA.  

Are we not already doing this with what will be the new UDO?

11 hours ago, Nathan2 said:

Are we not already doing this with what will be the new UDO?

Let me clarify.  Say we establish the "Silver Line" route, but instead of laying tracks and buying rail cars, we simply build a two-lane road with adjacent greenway with one condition: this two-lane boulevard is only available to and accessible by mass transit vehicle (buses, or street cars, or light rail cars eventually, or perhaps even autonomous buses).  Then we build transit-oriented residential/commercial/retail projects all along this new "Silver Line" road for mass transit vehicles only.  Are we saving a substantial amount of money in this scenario?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, RANYC said:

Let me clarify.  Say we establish the "Silver Line" route, but instead of laying tracks and buying rail cars, we simply build a two-lane road with adjacent greenway with one condition: this two-lane boulevard is only available to and accessible by mass transit vehicle (buses, or street cars, or light rail cars eventually, or perhaps even autonomous buses).  Then we build transit-oriented residential/commercial/retail projects all along this new "Silver Line" road for mass transit vehicles only.  Are we saving a substantial amount of money in this scenario?

Interesting proposal. But thinking outside the box isn't a Charlotte strength. To risky.

• Like 2

On 12/18/2020 at 8:38 PM, RANYC said:

Wasn't this the basic premise of the Independence bus lane which was supposed to be the right of way originally for the Silver line?  Not sure if TOD was approved at that time or not. Ironically CATS has abandoned the plan to use that right of way. 

• Like 1

On 12/18/2020 at 8:38 PM, RANYC said:

No.  The major cost is the right of way acquisition.  Per mile cost of rail and road are about the same, especially if you consider maintenance costs.  The two major cost factors above bus service outside of that is station costs and overhead electrification.  the BRT that you are proposing (which is what the silver line was supposed to be originally) still needs the stations, leaving the major cost differentiator as overhead electrification, since the proposal is to one day go to rail, why not just start off there, then there won't be a major service disruption when it's time to upgrade.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, #1Son said:

Wasn't this the basic premise of the Independence bus lane which was supposed to be the right of way originally for the Silver line?  Not sure if TOD was approved at that time or not. Ironically CATS has abandoned the plan to use that right of way. 

CATS was forced out of that by the state.  The original BRT route would have saved quite a bit of money because the state was buying the ROW anyway (saving on legal fees) and the scope of work all being similar and done at the same time (it's cheaper to build a 4 lane road than two 2 lane roads).  But people in Matthews complained about not getting rail, state representatives heard this along with complaints from anti-transit people and got rid of the option, now everyone gets to pay more if we want viable transit to Matthews.     

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, DEnd said:

CATS was forced out of that by the state.  The original BRT route would have saved quite a bit of money because the state was buying the ROW anyway (saving on legal fees) and the scope of work all being similar and done at the same time (it's cheaper to build a 4 lane road than two 2 lane roads).  But people in Matthews complained about not getting rail, state representatives heard this along with complaints from anti-transit people and got rid of the option, now everyone gets to pay more if we want viable transit to Matthews.     

MUMPO tabled the Silver BRT option for 5 years to allow additional "evaluation of LRT" options by CATs. The sad part is the Silver line rider projections were double the Blue line for BRT and LRT, but NCDOT has taken 25 years to widen Independence to WT Harris who knows how long before they would have reached Matthews. Even sadder is the upgraded parts of Independence were widen with the original plan specifications so the new road has wider bridges to accommodate the originally planned LRT station locations.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/21/2020 at 12:22 AM, DEnd said:

No.  The major cost is the right of way acquisition.  Per mile cost of rail and road are about the same, especially if you consider maintenance costs.  The two major cost factors above bus service outside of that is station costs and overhead electrification.  the BRT that you are proposing (which is what the silver line was supposed to be originally) still needs the stations, leaving the major cost differentiator as overhead electrification, since the proposal is to one day go to rail, why not just start off there, then there won't be a major service disruption when it's time to upgrade.

I want to be clear here.  No material difference between per mile costs of light rail versus per mile costs of dedicated bus roadway?  Shocked to hear that.  Also, why would a dedicated bus road go to light rail one day, if the bus is already in a dedicated roadway?  Does light rail operate more effectively or have a longer useful life than a bus (or autonomous vehicle on wheels), or is it that light rail is less polluting?

• 2 weeks later...