CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red Lines

monsoon

5 minutes ago, jthomas said:

Great article. A perfect example of why rail infrastructure should be nationalized ASAP. We wouldn't dream of allowing UPS or Amazon to own and operate, say, I-85. Why should an intransigent private company hold a valuable transportation asset hostage?

Who built the rail? Honest question. If Amazon built a private highway to ship goods and invested that money and time into maintaining the infrastructure I would say its there... Same with an Airport or a Harbor. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

Who built the rail? Honest question. If Amazon built a private highway to ship goods and invested that money and time into maintaining the infrastructure I would say its there... Same with an Airport or a Harbor. 

The rails were built by historical predecessors of the modern-day railroads. I am not advocating that the infrastructure be taken without compensation. Nationalization would be a very pricey proposition, but I believe that it would be in the public's best interest. And frankly, I would think it would be in the railroads' interest to get out from the maintenance obligation and to become purely operators. Currently, railroads are more or less limited to operating on tracks they own. Nationalization of infrastructure should include open access, which would give the railroads new markets to serve and compete in.

ETA - @kermit makes a great point about the involvement of the government with the private companies.

Edited by jthomas
  • Like 2

I was formulating my reply but you said it better, Kermit. The expense of these grand projects for rail, road, sea,  and air has never been within the ability of a private company to accomplish. To the extent that the transportation and trade increases wealth the public expense is repaid with higher value of all surrounding properties and tax receipts of the companies.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, jthomas said:

Great article. A perfect example of why rail infrastructure should be nationalized ASAP. We wouldn't dream of allowing UPS or Amazon to own and operate, say, I-85. Why should an intransigent private company hold a valuable transportation asset hostage?

Exactly.  By turning it over to a private company, that company will only have its own interests (maximizing its own personal profits) in mind, which could be to the detriment of other companies, and to private citizens, who also need the use of that road or railroad.  I think this sort of thing works best when the government, looking out for the greater public good (as long as they're not bought by lobbyists) handles the oversight and allows private companies to compete to build (but not own) the infrastructure.  Imagine if we turned over ownership of our military to a private company.  Yikes!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, elrodvt said:

Unfortunately we have turned over a good chunk of our military to private firms such as the infamous Halivburton

Yes, that's what happens when lobbying poisons government policy and decisions.  If we could get that influence out of the process so that the government truly picks the best contractors for the job, and the government's oversight function works properly, then it can be an ideal situation.  I would like to think that the Haliburton situation reflects the exception rather than the rule.  I review a lot of government contracts in my work and I think they are usually awarded in good faith, at least in the case of the contracting activities I have interacted with.

• Like 2

On 3/25/2021 at 2:14 PM, kermit said:

Southeast Rail Conference report. A NCDOT rail rep says:

2024 Open date for Gateway Station which will coincide with a new Piedmont frequency.

Harrisburg Station remains under development -- which will grease the wheels for commuter rail to Salisbury.

image.png.b8d71a16cd3a62fa8171137d828c53df.png

If commuter rail is feasible on the NCRR track, is the western portion of the Silver Live necessary?  Compare the routes of the silver line (gray on map embedded below) west of uptown with the NCRR route (green).  

Is there too much freight traffic to do something like 20-30 minute or even hourly frequency during off-peak times using DMU carriages?  I know the blue line has been wildly successful at spurring denser development, and that the silver line could have a similar impact on west Charlotte, but could a higher frequency DMU service have a similar impact at a much lower cost, and potentially much sooner with support from NCRR?

Based on the WFU news, would it be better to reroute the silver line along the southern portion of 277 to hit the WFU campus and then terminate it at Gateway?  With commuter rail and DMU on the green NCRR routes?   Also, that would allow the silver line to have a couple midtown stops compared to the currently planned route along the 11th street and the northern portion of 277. 

spacer.png

12 minutes ago, kermit said:

NS owns the tracks west of their Charlotte yard (basically 16th st), not the NCRR. The NS tracks are heavily used, and they just built their still shiny intermodal terminal at the airport, so they are in no mood to allow high frequency service on their tracks and no one can compel them to do so like on the NCRR tracks to the east. I think the best that we can expect from NS on those tracks is four round trips per day (in addition to the current Crescent service), and those trips would be expensive.

Ah, thanks, sometimes "why don't we just..." has a clear answer.

^ the doubling of transit funding comes off a pretty low base level so it is kinda underwhelming. The way that part of the bill is written, I would bet that it simply increases the budget for the existing New Starts program rather than creating any new program. My impression of policy at Pete’s DOT is that they will place increased emphasis on transit projects that stimulate broad land use change, meaning the projects getting funds will need to be packaged and presented with larger municipal changes (like the UDO, Gateway station or affordable housing initiatives).

The news is not all bad for transit, the Surface Transportation Act (the normal funding stream for DOT) will need to be reauthorized soon. There is big talk of large changes in transit funding there as well (perhaps more than a doubling) but that legislative process is murky.

My very early read on the proposal is it contains -lots- of road funding (hopefully all earmarked for repair), transit changes are kinda small relative to needs, but Amtrak is one of the big winners from all this (along with rural broadband which would be GREAT for NC). Unfortunately, as much as I like to ride trains, its hard to have a ton of confidence in Amtrak’s ability to smartly spend a bunch of cash. Fortunately much of the money Amtrak spends on track will end up improving the flow of freight (despite the beotching we will hear from them). NS is in desperate need of capacity increases between Charlotte and Atlanta and it looks like Amtrak will pay much of that cost.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2021 at 1:32 PM, kermit said:

In the strange news of the day, the CBJ wrote an article that suggests there is a new study that might look at rerouting the Silver Line through uptown???

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2021/04/09/changes-possible-to-silver-lines-uptown-route.html

I think this may be a case of me misinterpreting a strangely written article, although Julie Eiselt has been proposing some revisions to the route and plans due to census/election/NC GOP driven delays.

Charlotte Center City Partners has never believed Fourth Ward and Gateway are part of uptown.    Meanwhile, the current plan takes the line near the new stadium growth area, the new train station, the Music Factory/4th Ward area, and alongside 1st Ward which is desperate for redevelopment after decades of blank blocks of surface parking.    

"Uptown" means to put it where they are just about to finish a streetcar line. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Silver Line renderings Joe Bruno tweeted out this morning from MTC  (maybe that 37 story apartment tower by the silos could get built) 

IF there was a silver line spot there, I am sure that 37 story tower would go up, and probably a few more with it. 

Also, Having the elevated platforms like that, while expensive, is simply awesome. It looks so cool in the middle of the city. 

Edited by Blue_Devil
  • Like 1

Given the church on Graham is going to be right at the doorstep of a light rail station, I wonder if they'd consider a partnership like the Methodist Church in SouthPark to build a new and modern sanctuary, while also incorporating other uses on the property like retail or apartments. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Silver Line renderings Joe Bruno tweeted out this morning from MTC  (maybe that 37 story apartment tower by the silos could get built) 

I wish they would name stations after neighborhoods for some. Why isn’t there a Plaza Midwood station or NoDa station?  4th ward or 3rd ward station? 

• Like 3