CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red Lines

monsoon

12 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Silver Line renderings Joe Bruno tweeted 

So many complaining about the inconvenience of a people mover at the airport for occasional air travel, when this poorly designed connection between Silver and Blue Lines poses a much more regularly occurring inconvenience for daily commutes.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

For a transfer it would be about a 3 min walk (according to google maps) from the point of the rail trail where it would be likely for the stairs to open up to and to the blue line station (if you walk like you mean it maybe 2 min sometimes google is a slow walker) including the walk from the platform upon arrival to the stairs and walking down the stairs…that depends. I’d give it a 5-8 min walk perhaps (mostly speculation when it comes to the part before getting on the rail trail) it’s not ideal but it also isn’t horrible. I do agree about sheltering though… so perhaps moving the station closer to the silver line station and sheltering it as well would help to improve the transfer.

For those who would like a grade crossing…these intersections between trains can be dangerous especially if frequency is ever increased and train length expanded (very likely) on either line/both. It would take massive coordination. One other point is that the ideal line doesn’t have any grade crossing with either roads or other trains for that matter and minimal crossings with pedestrians which the silver line would the cut through the blue line rail trail. Lastly, it would be very difficult to bring the light rail down to grade not just 11th street grade but actually to the grade that the blue line is on that for one would be almost impossible unless there is an actual tunnel constructed to go beneath the exits of 277, which aren’t going anywhere any time soon and the last thing you would want at that crossing is the silver line to be slopped as it tries to meet the blue line tracks to then to rise above N College street especially in wet or icy conditions.

IMG_0421.jpg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agreed, at-grade rail thru here would be horrible considering unlike where the blue line is at grade, this is the major connection area to the interstate and really would be bad to have all those added crossings.
They do seem to have the connector in a trench connecting somehow that isn't really clearly drawn.   but then taking a closer look, they do away with the Church street exit, so I suppose that part of the Uptown Loop study is done.  I'm glad they keep the Graham exit in the plan, as it serves a large population north of uptown like Music Factory and Camp NorthEnd area. 
http://content.invisioncic.com/x329420/monthly_2021_04/1100728633_ScreenShot2021-04-30at1_38_23PM.thumb.png.52d90913a5162e4f342b7b2302af2235.png

From the looks of it they are realigning 11th street in the rendering to put the station optimally closer to the blue line station by….interesting detail I didn’t notice. Seemed strange considering that parking deck is right up against 11th currently.
  • Like 2

The goals and objectives for any successful transit plan must be nuanced as they seek to achieve balanced outcomes within a field of play that is not, (especially in the US, and specifically for development profiles such as Charlotte's).   I've tried to remain complimentary of the efforts put forth in routing the silver line through the Queen City's heart, and out to Belmont and Stallings, but as more plans and images are released the harder it becomes.   I want to preface my statements by acknowledging the complexities at hand, so as not to sound Quixotic in my disappointment and critique.  Importantly, this is not a slam to those working hard to navigate the many interests involved……the staff at CAT’s are talented, but I fear politics and expectations have hijacked the tools of proper planning leaving a whack-a-mole approach to address matters of inclusion and avoid matters of conflict.  

The current plan is shaping up to be an "epic" missed opportunity.    The selected corridor clearly expresses the assumptions and perceived challenges it seeks to avoid, and in this single minded pursuit of what is easiest the entire endeavor has become complicated, (very different meaning to the word "complex"), endangering both its short and long-term success.   It complicates transit network efficiencies.  It complicates transit rider use and relevancy.  It complicates efforts to strengthen the existing fabric of neighborhoods and shape their future growth.   It teases access to the Metropolis’ vital parts while bypassing most of them.  It is too comfortable with its relationship to the City’s highway and expressway infrastructure.   A billion dollars should deliver more than a solid one seat ride to Gateway Station, a new NFL Stadium and CLT's people mover while riding alongside Independence Expressway and its western namesake Wilkinson Blvd.  The biggest winner could end up being downtown Matthews if they choose the correct alignment there, and this does make me happy.   That community has struggled the most while still succeeding to maintain a viable heart since the early days when Charlotte's first wave of suburban growth inundated the town.  Additional places could win too, (wouldn't it be grand to include the bulk of downtown Charlotte, ie: Midtown, Southend etc on this list!) with slight re-alignments based on a shift in thinking and greater tolerance for some controversy.  

The silver line is too important to fall back on the City’s penchant for “expediency”.   Creative solutions exist and there are people not adverse to complexity if the results leverage great outcomes.  Oddly enough it could be a shift in the politics at the federal level that may enable new and compelling ideas locally.    My two cents.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I certainly hope CATS is well prepared to discuss carbon costs in the context of the silver line. Budgets really need to include the benefits of carbon savings alongside the incremental tax revenue increases in station areas.

In terms of other modes:  scooter share, gezzz.

A0DD74EC-375C-49C2-B7C5-FFCEFDBE0124.jpeg
and the transit plan really needs to be even more tightly bundled with the UDO. The info below is from a May 2021 paper in Energy Policy.

• Doubling population-weighted density is associated with a 48% reduction in CO2emissions from household travel.
  • Doubling population-weighted density is associated with a 35% reduction in CO2emissions from residential energy use.
  • Doubling per capita transit subsidy is associated with a 46% lower VMT and 18% reduction in transportation CO2 emissions.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0301421514000299

Edited by kermit
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, kermit said:

I certainly hope CATS is well prepared to discuss carbon costs in the context of the silver line. Budgets really need to include the benefits of carbon savings alongside the incremental tax revenue increases in station areas.

In terms of other modes:  scooter share, gezzz.

A0DD74EC-375C-49C2-B7C5-FFCEFDBE0124.jpeg
and the transit plan really needs to be even more tightly bundled with the UDO. The info below is from a May 2021 paper in Energy Policy.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0301421514000299

Now wait a minute! I'm pretty sure a local weatherman in Texas, along with a truly genius GOP senator from OK bringing a large snowball into chambers, prove to the GOP writ large that warming isn't actually occurring?  {Edit; thus weakening any perceived benefit with reducing CO2 ”pollution”}

On a selfish note I'll be really thrilled if any e-bike incentives are retroactive to start of '21.

Edited by elrodvt

If CATS decided to participate in the 21st century they could provide screens in the vehicles letting riders know how long the wait was to transfer to a train going the other direction on the loop or to the Blue / Gold Line to speed those trips. This loop would also have the benefit of making the whole perimeter of Uptown much more accessible. a change that would help to speed residential development there -- something that we have recently seen is sorely needed to both diversify its activity and increase the supply of housing.
I know this is just a fantasy, but it really does solve a ton of operational problems and it could be accomplished at very reasonable cost if the land were taken from the bloated Belk. Even more importantly, it would turn a toy for real estate developers in Northend into a very useful and futureproofed transportation system that would enable densification in some remarkably under utilized parts of Charlotte's core.
Forgive the super crude drawing. No part of uptown is more than four blocks from a transit line. Any future rail lines can connect to the loop rather than needing a new ROW into town (looking at Seviersville trolly). Midtown and Morehead street now have excellent access as does the stadium site. (Green and Orange run on the same tracks, I just can't draw using Paint)

http://content.invisioncic.com/x329420/monthly_2021_05/533834265_Uptownloop.thumb.png.52a0ed9da9506685d2c32be7f4f534be.png

Wow I really like that idea and I don’t know why I hadn’t crossed my mind before…like this would extend transit to midtown and I saw someone point out in Twitter that the medical school would be par from transit but this would solve those issues. Personally would gladly accept this if it were a proposal. It solves many issues with the silver line when it comes to mobility across center city.
  • Like 1