CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red Lines

monsoon

2- replacing the John Belk with a Boulevard from just beyond the current interchange with the Brookshire, to just before the interchange with I-77 and the Silver Line routed along it, at grade along its southern leg and below along the northern leg.

The topography works exceptionally well for both, allowing for “underground” segments to be built at current grades and covered by boulevard decking.  The acreage of new land for development that would spontaneously appear would run in the tens of millions of dollars.   Critically, the junction of the Blue and Silver lines would be grade separated, Blue at grade, and Silver below, functioning just like the robust transit systems do in larger cities….yes, with escalators, elevators, and steps.

Architecturally, given grade differences, Stonewall Station/Convention Center, and the South end side of a new boulevard, the results could truly be “world class”.

Cheaper alternative: further reconfiguration of the Belk's interchanges, freeing up one of the three to four "channels" currently used for car traffic, to use as a light rail line instead.

If you're going to go to the expense of decking over the Belk, why not do it with a park instead of a boulevard?

I still like the Trade Street tunnel option better, though. Tunnels are actually pretty cheap; it's stations that are the budget busters. So, simplify it by having only one or two underground stations. The CATS transportation center obviously needs an underground station. Gateway might, but it might also be possible to curve south and get it above ground along the currently planned Silver Line alignment. The streetcar (which should have dedicated lanes, FFS, I mean come on!) can handle local circulation in the corridor.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Appreciate the thoughts/feedback Orulz :)    

To be clear I am suggesting completely removing the JBF.   It does not need to exist in its present form to provide the function it serves.  Doing so would properly zip together Southend, Dilworth/Kenilworth, CPCC/Midtown and the two Hospitals (new medical school included) with Center City Charlotte.    Consider that this unencumbered footprint would be equivalent in area to Manhattan south of Central Park to  Brooklyn Bridge/City Hall.  And no...i'm not suggesting Manhattan densities will sprout in Charlotte.   I'm pointing out the amount of walkable urbanism., ie: neighborhoods, parks, employment districts, entertainment and shopping streets, which could be realized in the decades to come as these most central and densest parts of Charlotte leverage off each other,  and their growing transit anchored access to the region.  

Addressing the park capped idea, a cap is the most costly part of development.  Handing over the real estate created above and/or adjacent to non-taxable revenue generating purposes, when there are multiple opportunities to create park space on less expensive properties, would not be practical here.   This is the reason examples of  "Park" capped freeways most always span very, very short distances..... Seattle (excluding topo induced tunneling), Dallas etc.   The proposal here is to zip up a long, self-inflicted scar across the Queen's face with high intensity, human habitat oriented, plastic surgery.   It is the only reason I tend to lean more in favor of this option than the Trade St. option.   But, believe me,  I would be over the moon if either were even a topic of discussion at this point :) 

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, dubone said:

Removal of 277 is not under the control of CATS and is not really on topic for this.    It has been reviewed by NCDOT and it is remaining, and getting fewer interchanges.   

Booooo. Did NCDOT publish a report? When did they do this analysis, back when they streamlined the South blvd interchange?

Related:

image.png.cc8a11f9d872bace3484056d3bc227ab.png

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, kermit said:

Related:

image.png.cc8a11f9d872bace3484056d3bc227ab.png

Kind of interesting that none of the cities in the sprawling Southeast (including Charlotte) ranked in the top 25 worst for pollution in any of the categories but places like Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Denver, DC, Chicago, NYC, et. all ranked among the worst in a category: https://www.lung.org/research/sota/city-rankings/most-polluted-cities

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2

Large scale projects impacting municipalities at the level transit system do should never be designated the sole purview of any one organization/agency.....silo thinking that dilutes messaging and responsibility.   A major shortcoming of this Transit Planning process.   The interconnections between all forms of rail, and auto, cycling, and walking, for example, are densely tethered, and these threads reach out to weave the City's social, environmental, and economic spheres into a tightly dependent tapestry.   Impossible to pull on one thread without tugging an many others.   A robust, joint effort is sorely needed.   History shows the most fruitful outcomes result from such endeavors.    Cross-agency cooperation can provide stronger counter arguments when the opposition, you rightly point out dubone, inevitably occurs, ( in addition to opening access to broader pots of federal monies).

And, remember, "growth" is not the only checklist item to address when properly planning light rail transit systems.   Access to jobs and relevancy to the user base also carry weight.  Development can, and usually is, a byproduct to anticipate for financing purposes on the private and public  ledgers.   The Silver Line's true development potential in terms of cost vs new development and revenue is much stronger along the corridors beyond Uptown, on the way to Belmont and Stallings.  Here too, the current alignments are hit and miss, falling generally short of the true potential possible.  

But don't get me started.  I have an overseas flight to hop on.  I've enjoyed the discussion and everyone's responses.  Carry on and keep thinking/questioning  :)  

• Like 4

There are a couple of upcoming ULI seminars based on the Silver Line. Click through to register.

May 20: ULI Charlotte: City of Charlotte's TOD Symposium Series - Setting the Stage for TOD in Small and Big Cities | ULI Charlotte

May 27: ULI Charlotte: City of Charlotte's TOD Symposium Series - Equitable TOD: Building Equity as Part of Transit & TOD | ULI Charlotte

These are moderated by CATS and Charlotte planners, respectively. 

• Like 2

As part of the "Envision My Ride" bus improvement program, there's a community meeting next May 20. They are collecting feedback on passenger values, preferences, needs, and barriers to riding the bus. 

The ultimate goal of the bus priority study is creating a plan to improve individual routes through infrastructure, mobility connections, & operations and figure the best budget CATS's capital money. 

Envision My Ride: Bus Priority Study (arcgis.com)

• Like 2

Was looking at this Commuter Rail preliminary study for the Triangle Area this morning (and initially when posted back in January).  Does the Charlotte Metro have any focus group\Transportation Authority doing any similar feasibility studies for Commuter\Regional Rail for this area or is all the focus\oxygen in the room being used for Lightrail Planning?

http://goforwardnc.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/PRES_GTCR-Prelim-Results-191218_DRAFT_v5.1-for-web.pdf

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...