CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red Lines

monsoon

Meanwhile up in Raleigh planning starting for around the Bus Rapid Transit stations along New Bern Ave 

I wish Charlotte would include a lot more BRT in our transit plans as it is much cheaper and can be built much quicker and it can work just as effectively.  Imagine down Central to Albemarle out much beyond the Eastland site basically to Novant Mint Hill.  Or up north or northwest to Riverbend where Corning is based.  

BRT Stations are coming to New Bern Avenue - YouTube

• Like 4

9 hours ago, kermit said:

Only if it runs in dedicated lanes. Roughly 1/3 of the New Bern ave BRT will run in mixed traffic.

True but  the streetcar which costs much more per mile  travels in mixed traffic 100% of the time.  I still contend BRT needs to be done more in Charlotte even Atlanta is using it on some of their new routes.  It would reach more places, be built out quicker and overall is much more affordable.  Very high concentrations of apartments are on Albemarle road and there is absolutely no transit plans for that area other than current bus service. 

Atlanta Transit Agency Moves Ahead With Bus Rapid Transit | Georgia News | US News

• Like 4

I am talking about BRT just like Raleigh proposed system with dedicated stops, fare paying before boarding, raised platforms at stations to get into bus with no steps etc. 

Yes it can mix with traffic sometimes but overall it can be on dedicated lanes   New Bern Ave is their first line.   The only way using the toll express lanes could be called BRT if they had dedicated stations like these in Raleigh.  

Wake Bus Rapid Transit: New Bern Avenue Corridor – Raleigh, North Carolina - YouTube

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, tozmervo said:

I think of the MetroRapid service as "BRT Lite." A full BRT would more or less eliminate busses having to run in mixed traffic at all. So for example, the Northcross park and ride might have a direct bus-only ramp to the express lanes so the bus never even had to deal with exit 25 and Sam Furr road. Stops would also have level boarding to eliminate the steps up into a bus. So it would have the priority and dedicated space of a train line, it just happens to be on rubber wheels.

Do you think Charlotte/CATS is too focused on spurring Development with (expensive) fixed rail transit?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Do you think Charlotte/CATS is too focused on spurring Development with (expensive) fixed rail transit?

No. I think they'd dump rail entirely from the red line planning except for politics. I believe community meetings for north corridor BRT were supposed to start this year, but I don't recall for sure.

There is a huge question still looming on what commuting and daily transit needs will look like after labor day. If we don't see ridership meaningfully return I'm afraid the political winds will turn. (Here and elsewhere)

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I wish Charlotte would include a lot more BRT in our transit plans as it is much cheaper and can be built much quicker and it can work just as effectively.  Imagine down Central to Albemarle out much beyond the Eastland site basically to Novant Mint Hill.  Or up north or northwest to Riverbend where Corning is based.  

Would BRT work along Tyvola Road and Fairview Road, connecting the Tyvola Blue Line station to Southpark?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

This is an interesting question.  Look at Nashville no rail in sight and it is booming with new development.  I have suggested before property owners closest to the rail lines should be taxed more a special taxing zone similar to what is done uptown with the center city partners which gets a sliver of the tax revenue there.  Georgia has these Community Improvement Districts all over Atlanta for improvements in those specific areas.   It is paid by commercial property owners which would include apartment complexes but not SF homes for example. 

Here for example is the Perimeter CID in Atlanta

FAQ – Perimeter Community Improvement Districts (perimetercid.org)

I am saying something like this along all current rail lines and those planned for the future.   I don't understand why BRT is not more apart of this plan and a much more extensive system could be built in Charlotte for less money. 

And I think BRT is a fixed transit option with designated  stations and fixed routes just on rubber wheels and not on a track. 

• Like 1

How much of this do y'all think is just hopefulness and it won't appreciably change anything for the Red Line discussions?  The "encourages" wording doesn't seem very strong.  https://twitter.com/jasonthomasclt/status/1414051223867740165?s=20

**Edit to add the White House fact sheet referenced in the tweet. https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2021/07/09/fact-sheet-executive-order-on-promoting-competition-in-the-american-economy/ 

Edited by TGIBridays
Adding context
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, JacksonH said:

Would BRT work along Tyvola Road and Fairview Road, connecting the Tyvola Blue Line station to Southpark?

Biggest challenge for true BRT (designated right away) would be all the houses through Montford that line Tyvola. You'd need to buy property out to widen the road. There is no median through there, the road is pretty narrow, it turns, and having buses going very fast against stopped traffic without a barrier / right away could be dangerous. 

You'd likely need to run the right away down the middle of the road with stations in the middle on islands, with cross walks to the sidewalks. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Biggest challenge for true BRT (designated right away) would be all the houses through Montford that line Tyvola. You'd need to buy property out to widen the road. There is no median through there, the road is pretty narrow, it turns, and having buses going very fast against stopped traffic without a barrier / right away could be dangerous. 

You'd likely need to run the right away down the middle of the road with stations in the middle on islands, with cross walks to the sidewalks. 

This is the challenge with any above grade solution to reach South Park. Providence, Park, and Tyvola are already tight 4-lane ROWs that carry a massive amount of vehicles.