CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red Lines

monsoon

11 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Poor bus service means this city will always require the vast majority of people to own a car. Adding another light rail line won't change that. They got to get the bus service right as well to build a full SYSTEM.

The views on the CTC though and bus riders as undesirables that influenced the demise of the Epicentre (even among this pro-transit crowd on UP) shows this city is a FAR way off from bus service breaking the stigma it has among choice riders. With bus service so poor, even low-income riders do everything they can to scrape money together for a car because buses don't go where they need to get (note, many transit dependent people DO NOT work in a high rise at a bank).  People could literally get fired relying on the bus to get them to their job here.

Can Uber Save Public Transit?

January 6, 2021 Bloomberg CityLab Article

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-26/what-to-make-of-uber-s-bid-to-help-public-transit

28 minutes ago, kermit said:

Uber can't even maintain its core business model, even after they essentially killed the taxi industry.

There are expectations of performance on Uber that would make CATS retreat into a corner like a bunny.  

Having said that, the article reviews and critiques a report by Uber transit, which lays out possibilities for cooperation and collaboration between ride-hailing services and public transit.

Edited by RANYC

On 8/23/2021 at 5:46 PM, RANYC said:

Uber has expectations of performance that would make CATS retreat into a corner like a bunny.  

But perhaps Uber isn't the right partner.  Private carriers like Uber and Lyft, however, who use cutting edge tech to ferry around the masses do a ton of things better than public transit agencies.  Perhaps partnerships between such private carriers and the transit agencies are in order.  

Yea, there are certainly good parts of ride hailing (the tech). However, they genuinely failed society when they tacitly promised to be _the_ mobility solution for people and then  used their cheap and nearly unlimited capital supply to nearly eliminate  taxis and damage public transit (see the bus ridership data elsewhere in this thread) while regulators looked the other way. Once people had no other choice but Uber / Lyft their labor model disintegrated in the pandemic and rides are now cost-prohibitive for most. In order to actually serve society, mobility solutions need to be _reliable_, I just dont see how Uber can pull that off given the flaws in its business model.

My daughter is one example of this, she does not drive and choose to be reliant on uber/lyft for much of her transportation at college. Since the pandemic she has had to largely abandon ridesharing  due to cost and wait times.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Windsurfer said:

Too bad they couldn't make it a bike lane with elevators at the occasional bridge.

As much as I would love to have a bike lane that extensive... it wouldn't be a very pleasant ride. I have that fear about the silver line rail trail if it ever gets built as well.  Independence is so loud and with all the car fumes, I don't know if that portion of the trail would be desirable. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LKN704 said:

Now that the streetcar is open, I noticed that they aren't charging fares until Jan 2021.  Could we expect a new fare system (smart cards, etc) to be up and running by that time?

That would only be 5 years after CATS originally said they would introduce a smart card system (Some Blue Line vehicles had validators for a short time). It seems unpossible to me that CATS could move so quickly.

(has anyone seen if there are fare machines on the Gold Line vehicles? Just validators? Nothing?)

Edited by kermit

3 minutes ago, kermit said:

That would only be 5 years after CATS originally said they would introduce the new system, seems unpossible to me that they could move so quickly.

(has anyone seen if there are fare machines on the Gold Line vehicles? Just validators? Nothing?)

This is from CLT Development's Instagram, is that what you're referring to?

Screenshot_20210831-103219_Instagram.jpg

• Like 1

Most transit systems in the world are slowly moving away from smart cards towards either NFC mobile payments made via the transit system's app (you essentially add a digital smart card to your mobile wallet on your device) or via contactless credit/debit cards as kermit referenced above. The new OMNY in NYC system also accepts contactless credit/debit cards as in London, and WMATA in DC is literally as we speak installing new fare gates that work better with mobile devices (the 1980s/1990s era fare gates are a bit wonky sometimes when attempting to use your phone) and will be compatible with contactless bank cards as well IIRC. 

I switched over to just using my phone, but obviously that isn't possible for everyone so smart fare cards aren't going anywhere anytime soon. 

Do the Blue Line LRV also have validators installed, and have they installed new fare boxes/validators on buses? If they haven't, I doubt they will have a system up and running by January then, especially considering they need to find a firm (unless they selected Genfare?) to manage the system and supply the physical cards. 

Are there TVMs on Gold Line platforms? I guess I am trying to figure out how one would top up their fare card once a fare system is in place. 

• Like 2

^

1) the blue line vehicles do not have validators installed (although they were there briefly when the BLE opened but never used)

2) there are no fare machines on the Gold Line platforms, nor is it apparent that there are provisions for wiring and mounting them, so I suspect they are not coming. I am guessing this means CATS is uninterested in visitors to Charlotte riding.

Edited by kermit
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, kermit said:

^

1) the blue line vehicles do not have validators installed (although they were there briefly when the BLE opened but never used)

2) there are no fare machines on the Gold Line platforms, nor is it apparent that there are provisions for wiring and mounting them, so I suspect they are not coming. I am guessing this means CATS is uninterested in visitors to Charlotte riding.

It feels like CATS doesn't even try to make it easy to use the system. They're happy with their captive audience that has no other choice and they have decided the marginal cost per rider to attract riders of choice just isn't worth it. The bus service is miserable and unreliable, the rail service is only marginal better.

7 hours ago, kermit said:

^

There are fare machines on the trains themselves (as well as the validators) unfortunately didn't get a pic of them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I will be in NYC next week, first time since the subway system installed tap and go NFC payment. It looks like a BIG improvement. If anyone has used it  in NYC let me know if there is any oddity to be aware of. I hope to go to a Yankees game and taxis/rideshare are difficult to procure at game end so subway is the choice. 

Will Charlotte use NFC enabled system?

2 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

I will be in NYC next week, first time since the subway system installed tap and go NFC payment. It looks like a BIG improvement. If anyone has used it  in NYC let me know if there is any oddity to be aware of. I hope to go to a Yankees game and taxis/rideshare are difficult to procure at game end so subway is the choice. 

Will Charlotte use NFC enabled system?

It work's fine. I don't really like it as you need to remember which card was used upon your first entry if you are going to transfer from bus to train and vice versa, or if you want to take advantage of a free out of station transfer and I have seen tourists fumbling around their wallets in front of the turnstiles to see if their card is supported. Most NYers who I know have an unlimited monthly pass which still requires the use of a MetroCard. The current NFC system is really designed for visitors/infrequent users IMO. 

The rollout of the actual OMNY card will be bigger IMO. 

• Thanks 1