CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red Lines

monsoon

Have CATS and the city ever considered how Buses can spur TOD?  There is literature out there on bus-based TOD (BTOD).  20 years is just insane to be waiting for the silver line.  Why not move forward with Bus-based TOD with an electric fleet (likely BRT), with strategically placed stops that are just as nice and covered as Blue Line stops (there's your 'permanence factor'), and do all of this far faster and at a fraction of the costs so that we put more money into greenways and sidewalks and more grid-based local street patterns to better distribute traffic, and let's get moving.  

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 3

https://www.ncleg.gov/Sessions/2021/Bills/House/PDF/H165v7.pdf

HB165, passed in November, amends a provision on bus lengths through the inclusion of articulated buses. Does this change the legal status of their use or mean anything of significance for BRT up I-77?

150044437_ScreenShot2022-01-04at7_25_24PM.thumb.png.e75e519c9dbb60373d7f9202f9b06da2.png

Edited by buildleft
  • Like 3

^Yes, articulated buses again are legal in NC. Not that the old law ever stopped others outside Charlotte, like Chapel Hill. But at least now, CATS would not being breaking the law. And historically, CATS (though then CTS) operated "artics."  Nothing is really blocking true BRT on 77 except North Towns hanging on to some fantasy of commuter rail.

Edited by southslider
  • Like 2

^^ It isn’t entirely CAT’s fault so why blame an entity that has no control over that property. A promise is hard to make when the facilities are out of CATS control. Everyone should understand any transit proposal is no promise when it has such a low priority. NS declined passenger rail and unless CATS can impose their will on a Class I railroad company there’s nothing they can really do about the commuter rail aspect? With the BRT they are getting another option at the very least. CATS is clearly still trying to make it happen, but as long as NS sees commuter rail as nuisance and a point of leverage to get to NCRR, it wont happen. (They did offer LRT in the ROW and I think outside the ROW too…wonder what happened with that).

• Like 1

On 2/5/2021 at 8:50 AM, Nathan2 said:

Cats gave a presentation to CRTPO yesterday that showed that 30% design work would begin on Phase III of the gold line this year. So maybe we won't have to worry about much of a transfer. 

Screenshot 2021-02-05 084819.png

Here is a blast from the past. CATS said back in February that design work on Gold Line Phase 3 would begin before the end of 2021. Needless to say, that did not happen (or even get started AFAIK).

3 hours ago, JeanClt said:

^^ It isn’t entirely CAT’s fault so why blame an entity that has no control over that property. A promise is hard to make when the facilities are out of CATS control. Everyone should understand any transit proposal is no promise when it has such a low priority. NS declined passenger rail and unless CATS can impose their will on a Class I railroad company there’s nothing they can really do about the commuter rail aspect? With the BRT they are getting another option at the very least. CATS is clearly still trying to make it happen, but as long as NS sees commuter rail as nuisance and a point of leverage to get to NCRR, it wont happen. (They did offer LRT in the ROW and I think outside the ROW too…wonder what happened with that).

When you get voters to approve a tax in order to finance something whose  feasibility is unclear, then when it doesn't happen don't be surprised to discover you've lost their confidence and they don't readily rally to your cause when asked for a new round of financing.  At some point, the tax should have ended after it was determined the thing they thought they were financing wouldn't happen within a reasonable timeframe.  I know it's tough to ask, but if only politicians would treat taxpayer funding in the same way that "most" VC firms treat investor funding, then maybe there would be less controversy when funding really big ideas, from a public works perspective.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 2

When you get voters to approve a tax in order to finance something whose  feasibility is unclear, then when it doesn't happen don't be surprised to discover you've lost their confidence and they don't readily rally to your cause when asked for a new round of financing.  At some point, the tax should have ended after it was determined the thing they thought they were financing wouldn't happen within a reasonable timeframe.  I know it's tough to ask, but if only politicians would treat taxpayer funding in the same way that "most" VC firms treat investor funding, then maybe there would be less controversy when funding really big ideas, from a public works perspective.

I’m not saying CATS has no fault in this, but it may have been feasible when the the tax vote was made versus years down in negotiations they failed. NS was willing at some point in last decade and then decided not to allow passenger rail. Otherwise I’m sure CATS wouldn’t have pursued that option. Clearly though there was reporting of NS changing their commuter policy that stomped out that plan. That is why I am saying it isn’t entirely CATS fault and it seems voters take that as fact. “My money was used and nothing was built for me in return therefore CATS is bad even though they’re trying to provide BRT as a back up option while they sort for a more appropriate solution.”

Yes, CATS can be inefficient but that is sometimes out of their hands due to lack of funding in the first place. Increasing budget…decreasing budget… why give money to an inefficient agency? Those are all questions that should be answered by an informed individual and honestly I can’t say the public is very aware of the inner workings of CATS or that anyone is really trying to study its spending and operations in way that provides insight to voters on whether to give more funds or ask for reforms to improve the services it provides if it is not performing well.

I have tried to look into to CATS and why it isn’t working in the way it should be operating to maximize benefits to riders. Some people have recently said, “pay operators more to fix the labor shortage!” Well how is CATS going to pay their operators more if people say not to increase CAT’s Budget and or provide the funds??? Doesn’t make sense. It takes investment in Transit to get those things built. The funding isn’t just to pay for the SilverLine about a third of that would go in to busses, greenways, and bike lanes.

My point is that people need to know if CATS is struggling financially or is there reform needed. Either way voters should be informed of that and demand accordingly, not because something they payed for didn’t come to fruition. Yeah, you gave funds through taxes and investments can be risky. Boo-hoo instead of fixing the problem people are just going to deny CATS any funds? For what reason? … I hope the “take away a child’s toys to make them behave” strategy is what’s going to get CATS’ act together or otherwise we are just stunting the growth and operations of our transit system with lack of funding with a growing population and increasingly high congestion of our road infrastructure.
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Third Strike said:

^If the Red Line ever happens, there should definitely be a station at Camp NorthEnd. Though I don’t know if it would be considered because of how close Gateway would be. 

There may as well be a station there. I suspect pedestrian activity will be so dense along the tracks there that train speeds will be very slow, so adding a stop will only make a small difference to the schedule.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, kermit said:

These guys just earned a larger portion of my disposable income!

image.png.89d30bac4ebacf8419c2d7cb03b7227b.png

A nice reminder that many of the economic benefits of transit are overlooked.

To be quite honest, even if Charlotte hypothetically had a larger, more robust transit system, I still think it would likely be paralyzed by winter weather. Granted I am not in Charlotte at present so I am unsure of what local conditions were like there this weekend, but the city (as do other cities in the South) lacks the winter weather infrastructure to ensure CATS operates in periods of heavy winter weather. 

Does CATS even have winter weather equipment? I know MTA Maryland and MBTA both have these devices that they affix to the pantograph that scrapes the ice off the overhead wires. 

• Like 1

To be quite honest, even if Charlotte hypothetically had a larger, more robust transit system, I still think it would likely be paralyzed by winter weather. Granted I am not in Charlotte at present so I am unsure of what local conditions were like there this weekend, but the city (as do other cities in the South) lacks the winter weather infrastructure to ensure CATS operates in periods of heavy winter weather. 
Does CATS even have winter weather equipment? I know MTA Maryland and MBTA both have these devices that they affix to the pantograph that scrapes the ice off the overhead wires. 

Was the blue line not running? Were busses running either? I’m pretty sure they were. Unless I’m misinformed, I don’t see how a more robust transit system could be understated as you said. I mean, even for the other 360 give or take days that Charlotte doesn’t see icy conditions a robust transit would benefit it greatly. In these conditions I see the transit system as much more valuable in the unsafe road conditions and everyday drivers not used to those conditions.

Gold line was not operating likely due to an issue that came up as CATS tweeted LRT, Bus, and StreetCar would all run weekend service. Winter weather like this is also not common enough here to warrant winter weather equipment which can be costly for the few days in a year we get icy conditions.

Also as Kermit mentioned, Transit truly plays a role in allowing communities to become more walkable. Helps ease the need to get in a car to drive somewhere you otherwise would have to trek miles if you were bold and fit enough to do in a car centric community.
  • Like 2

Most rail motive vehicles have techniques to disperse sand or other friction materials on track in case of ice or other weather related issues. Sometimes on inclines without weather issues, only for the additional traction necessary to climb. If these modern trolleys are without such a system that is a major flaw.

• Like 1

Gold line was running fine when I walked by. Apparently they shut it down shortly after I took this photo around noon on Sunday. 
49326217-3CC9-41F5-8DD4-60928A347F69.jpeg

Gold line also made it into this news cast where they seem to be doing maintenance on the tracks. 

49326217-3CC9-41F5-8DD4-60928A347F69.jpeg

Edited by Nathan2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Personally I use the BLE when I can and a major reason I don’t more often is the distance I’m traveling to a station and then where I’m going…I think that is an issue for a lot of people that want to use transit. Accessibility and acceptable commute times. Perhaps you could measurably see a difference if a significant amount of people had access to those lines. It would certainly reduce car reliance and therefore congestion.

Transit alone won’t solve congestion though and walkable more well rounded neighborhoods will be what ultimately saves a city from congestion. People need to travel less to get daily/weekly essential shopping and errands. Although you could say transit aids in that transition into more walkable rounded neighborhoods. I can’t imagine where in the world or the possibility exist where a well run and expansive transit system would be a bad thing.