CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red Lines

monsoon

1 hour ago, kayman said:

The MTC is a formality when it comes the transit funding referendum.  The real purse strings are held by the entity who primarily funds and will be the fiduciary partner which is COC thus the Charlotte City Council.

The expectation that others such as the MTC, Mecklenburg County, or the State of North Carolina are going to pull the trigger is naive.  This is why I'm so adamant about more consistent civic engagement from the main critics of CATS. 

Otherwise, CATS must be spun off from the COC as an actual regional public transit authority.  Maybe then the MTC might have more power beyond a policy adoption formality vote for the referendum. Maybe just maybe have the MTC would have the power to push for a referendum on its like its more successful peers in Denver with RTD, Metro in Portland,  the Metropolitan Council in the Twin Cities (Minneapolis-St. Paul). 

Thank you!  However I work in planning, so I'm very familiar with and actually presented to the Metropolitan Transit Commission (MTC) before.

Financials and political will are the real powers behind the regional transit expansion. A policy body like MTC does not have much power beyond tasking staff with implementing plans or initiatives. 

This is all about politics.  If you don't understand and respect that then you'll are just talking in circles and circular blaming. 

So I think your comment that this is "about politics" is precisely what empowers the MTC. The MTC has the appearance of being just a formality because the politics have been determined before there is a vote: ie, they have gotten buy-in from the mayors before it even comes to a vote. The actions necessary to get that buy-in are what drives the process now. I don't entirely disagree that CATS should be spun off as an independent agency fully reporting to a board in lieu of the city or county manager, but I do disagree with the suggestion that the MTC is just a formality in the current system. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

So I think your comment that this is "about politics" is precisely what empowers the MTC. The MTC has the appearance of being just a formality because the politics have been determined before there is a vote: ie, they have gotten buy-in from the mayors before it even comes to a vote. The actions necessary to get that buy-in are what drives the process now. I don't entirely disagree that CATS should be spun off as an independent agency fully reporting to a board in lieu of the city or county manager, but I do disagree with the suggestion that the MTC is just a formality in the current system. 

I hate to tell you, but is what usually happens before most MTC votes.  Those mayors and other elected officials only know what the CATS staff informing  about and presented to them. There are some substantial attempts of regional buy-in via the MTC. The power of the purse is still with COC, i.e. Charlotte City Council at the end of the day.

The actions that us as citizens must do is get more people in elected decision-making positions in COC City Council along with the other municipalities who thinks regionally and globally about regional transit. The only way we can achieve this regional transit system buildout is act via voting in those who are rather than talk and criticize without substantive actions of our own.  

I mean you can believe otherwise as that's your prerogative but those are the hard facts as a transportation professional in these spaces debriefing those elected individuals. 

Edited by kayman

4 minutes ago, RANYC said:

This seems insane to me.  Mass transit usage is typically a city/urban issue, and my guess is that most transit demand comes from urbanists/inner city denizens.  Only one city of charlotte vote on this thing seems ridiculous.  Why is that not ridiculous?  Someone...anyone?  Does an entity inclusive of suburbia have an easier time with bond issues to fund projects?  Is that it?

The whole county pays the sales tax, so non-Charlotte residents have earned a voice in the process.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TCLT said:

A voice sure. But an equal voice? A greater voice? How much of the tax revenue comes from Charlotte?

One could argue a resident in Cornelius pays more property tax because their house is worth more than somebody in West Charlotte if we start that game and pays more sales tax per capital due to their higher median incomes though... But West Charlotte is getting rail and Cornelius is not.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Confused 5

5 minutes ago, RANYC said:

So that I'm clear, per your post, "one" is arguing that a municipality like Cornelius should have a disproportionate voice in transit policy because it has wealthier constituents?

Sorry, I do not think they should have a disproportionate vote... I thought the opposition was to them having any vote at all simply because it is a suburban town. IMO we should have regional transit districts where citizens elect somebody to represent them in a district based on population, not by town limits.

Edited by CLT2014

3 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Sorry, I do not think they should have a disproportionate vote... I thought the opposition was to them having any vote at all simply because it is a suburban town. IMO we should have regional transit districts where citizens elect somebody to represent them in a district based on population, not by town limits.

OK got it.  I don't know enough to "oppose" yet, just surprised to learn that the municipality with multiples of the others in population, only has 1 vote in Transit policy, and questioning the wisdom behind that.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 3

IMO, Cornelius, Davidson and Huntersville are much more urban than Charlotte overall outside a couple miles of radius from Trade/Tryon.

They want rail, a major component of their communities are planned around rail stations, etc. It just feels like Urban/Suburban leaders totally just gave up on certain efforts that NC is controlled by the right who tend to be slightly hostile to some urban policies. Is there really no way - as the minority party - that urban/suburban politicians can't negotiate at least some money towards mass transit? Or the ability to raise local taxes for it? It seems like LKN fights harder than Charlotte does in general.

I will say, I'm not too familiar anymore with the dynamics of politics in NC as much as I used to be so. I'm totally open that my opinion maybe perhaps ignorant. 

(But I do stand by LKN being more urban than Charlotte outside the very core central area. Even then, lots of communities in LKN with houses being required to front the street, on-street parking and alleys in the back for garages do feel more urban than the residential areas of Plaza or Dilworth for example)

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Confused 1

Just now, RANYC said:

OK got it.  I don't know enough to "oppose" yet, just surprised to learn that the municipality with multiples of the others in population, only has 1 vote in Transit policy, and questioning the wisdom behind that.

It probably wasn't wise. I didn't live here back in 1998 and it looks like a significant amount of compromising went into getting the suburban towns to agree to the original county-wide transit tax for a transit agency operated by the city of Charlotte. One of the five guiding principals agreed in the original MTC contract is "representation of town interests." 

On 12/30/2021 at 5:16 PM, MothBeast said:

I have been in touch with someone and it is just a simple matter of  the right people not being aware. Should be a quick fix

edit: keep in mind it is the holidays and local government so it will still take longer than it should 

Did anything ever come of this? I was chatting with some others in another thread about the lack of Lynx lines on Google Maps and remembered this from a while ago

8 hours ago, Reverie39 said:

Did anything ever come of this? I was chatting with some others in another thread about the lack of Lynx lines on Google Maps and remembered this from a while ago

Unfortunately it’s been weeks since without hearing anything, but I asked just before the holidays. But I have trouble getting people i directly work with to answer emails :dontknow:. Going through google could be a direct way if someone wants to try that

21 hours ago, MothBeast said:

Unfortunately it’s been weeks since without hearing anything, but I asked just before the holidays. But I have trouble getting people i directly work with to answer emails :dontknow:. Going through google could be a direct way if someone wants to try that

Hmm that's too bad. Were you talking to [email protected]?

What astounds me is how simple of a fix this should be. It would probably take someone at Google a couple minutes to program it in lol. 

On 2/5/2022 at 8:11 PM, Reverie39 said:

Hmm that's too bad. Were you talking to [email protected]?

What astounds me is how simple of a fix this should be. It would probably take someone at Google a couple minutes to program it in lol. 

I emailed the telltransit address about it and they misunderstood what I was talking about (they thought I was talking about getting transit directions).  I emailed back with screenshots explaining it more clearly and haven't gotten response. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, davidclt said:

You only get one response form telltransit then you have to call 704-336-RIDE if you have any other questions or comments on their answers (where they won't be able to help you either). They're not interested in solving problems. CATS needs new leadership, a new (regional) charter and a new organization. CATS consistently gives a hearty FU to the citizens of Charlotte and the customers who use their services either by choice or necessity. Five years in the making and the new CATS Pass app is still a half-hearted POS that's not complete and doesn't work particularly well. CATS simply doesn't care.

Same complaint, no matter the public transportation system. Under staffed and under funded…yawn, if you think a slate of new people will wave a magic wand and fix things is comical…they could actually make it worst.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TGIBridays said:

I emailed the telltransit address about it and they misunderstood what I was talking about (they thought I was talking about getting transit directions).  I emailed back with screenshots explaining it more clearly and haven't gotten response. 

Screenshots are a good idea, maybe any of us who are willing should start their first email to [email protected] with screenshot examples (other cities vs. Charlotte). I will do this in the morning. May be good to showcase cities of similar/smaller size or with relatively new light rail systems to show that it is not just something reserved for the huge metro systems. Sacramento, St. Louis, Salt Lake City, Twin Cities, etc. are all examples of this.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, davidclt said:

You only get one response form telltransit then you have to call 704-336-RIDE if you have any other questions or comments on their answers (where they won't be able to help you either). They're not interested in solving problems. CATS needs new leadership, a new (regional) charter and a new organization. CATS consistently gives a hearty FU to the citizens of Charlotte and the customers who use their services either by choice or necessity. Five years in the making and the new CATS Pass app is still a half-hearted POS that's not complete and doesn't work particularly well. CATS simply doesn't care.

They did reply back to me.  But they just said I could find the system maps on the CATS website.