CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red Lines

monsoon

You’re absolutely right.

I wish the talk of fixed rail could be done more in terms of Return on Invested Capital than just in terms of expected expenditure.  Yes it’s expensive, but we’ve seen with the Blue Line and with other examples at how stimulative fixed-line transit can be in terms of brand, job growth, and scalability.  This really should be a no-brainer.

Couldn’t a third party Econ Development Analysis on the silver and red lines be done alongside the design work and then used to get the assembly to sign off on the referendum?

• Like 2

Those totally opposed to transit aren't the only hurdle to funding more transit. There are those who would ideally support more transit but don't trust giving more funding to those who have so bumbled the planning and operations of this region's transit.  The winnable votes include those who've been fooled too long on Red Line, feel Streetcar was a waste, or even just want better Uptown routing for Silver Line.  Transit proponents would do better to solidify their allies before blaming their opponents.

On 4/13/2022 at 3:42 PM, JacksonH said:

Thank you!  I'm in San Diego and hadn't heard this news.  I always thought it was stupid that the San Diego Trolley (name of our light rail) was not built to go *to* the airport, with the closest station being over a mile away.  Then recently, plans were being formulated for a big transit center (like Charlotte) near Old Town, to serve the San Diego Trolley, Amtrak and "COASTER" heavy rail commuter line, and with a "people mover" from there to the airport.  But having the Sam Diego Trolley line go all the way to the airport is way better than a people mover connection (although that won't do me any good as I don't live on the Trolley line, but it will be great for tourists and other visitors trying to get from the airport to downtown and other stops on the Trolley line, like our two universities).

I posted a video the other day where Julie Eiselt was expressing her support for having the Silver Line go directly to CLT instead of requiring a transfer to a people mover on Wilkinson Blvd (she also prefers the Silver Line to go into the middle of Uptown,  not around it).  I hope Charlotte does the right thing and follows that path.  With the city growing as fast as it is, it will be difficult (and more costly, if not impossible) later on to fix what could turn out to be a big mistake.  Do it right the first time.   Also, Austin is building their light rail directly to their airport.  Charlotte needs to think big and bold if it wants to keep up with cities like Austin.  Otherwise, it could wind up on the losing end of landing major businesses and headquarters.  Invest in the future by building the best infrastructure.

Agreed on San Diego. They have a nice light rail system but I thought it was pretty silly when I first landed there earlier this year and had to take a random shuttle just to get to the station… and in the process passed what look like one or two other stations. Didn’t make any sense to me. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, southslider said:

Those totally opposed to transit aren't the only hurdle to funding more transit. There are those who would ideally support more transit but don't trust giving more funding to those who have so bumbled the planning and operations of this region's transit.  The winnable votes include those who've been fooled too long on Red Line, feel Streetcar was a waste, or even just want better Uptown routing for Silver Line.  Transit proponents would do better to solidify their allies before blaming their opponents.

That’s true.  You can be pro-rail and against this particular transit package.

• Like 1

Better routing = more money… hmmm increased risk for delays and overrunning budget… parties involved with allowing that improved ROW. If people want better routing maybe be ready for those risks? If they can agree to those risks then all the power to them. Streetcar is a foundation and investment. Wouldn’t say it’s a waste… especially when the project still has another phase… if this were built out and the service continued to be mediocre that is a failure and waste of money in that case, but even then it wouldn’t simply be utterly useless because at that point it is probably management not investment in the wrong area. Like I’ve said before you can’t expect more without injecting investment. Expecting more fire without fuel is illogical. In terms of management how that “fuel” is handled can determine the best or worst outcomes and CATS has a combination of both issues imo.

• Like 2

What if transit package drastically reduced in scope: light rail from uptown to airport, bus rapid transit on independence boulevard, bus rapid transit to northern towns, upgrade all bus fleet to electric, real-time apps, restructure bus routing so it doesn’t all have to go through uptown, greenway completion, holistic concrete Ballard strategy to protect all bike lanes and as traffic calming in areas desired to be heavily walkable like MORA…

feasible to do all of this while bypassing the assembly and just focusing on increasing sales tax through referendum by .25 cents and moderate property tax increase at next revaluation?

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Not if they'd just use the existing Blue Line through Uptown for Silver Line.

The complexity with that could cause issues…in the long run. That silver line would literally be coming at 90 degree angle and finding away to make the turn as a smooth as possible would be a nightmare. CATS is trying to avoid any sharps turns because they’re loud, slow, and rocky. Also doing that would negate the development, the people who live and will live in fourth and third ward. Leaving that area of uptown void of connections outside from the gold line and that doesn’t extend as far as with the blue or the silver. The connections there are between the gold and the Blue line isn’t great and comparable to the silver line “transfer” point. Simply for the convenience of a transfer that really isn’t that hard to make as it stands doesn’t really outweigh the trade offs. It could be better and much more convenient but it wouldn’t take more than 3 minutes to walk over to either station.
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, JeanClt said:

The connections there are between the gold and the Blue line isn’t great and comparable to the silver line “transfer” point. Simply for the convenience of a transfer that really isn’t that hard to make as it stands doesn’t really outweigh the trade offs. It could be better and much more convenient but it wouldn’t take more than 3 minutes to walk over to either station.

That's exactly the biggest downside to not overlapping the lines. As inconvenient as the transfer between Blue and Gold is, the same should not be planned between Blue and Silver. Walking 3 minutes each transfer every trip adds up to a lot more time lost by those already experiencing a longer transit-based commute than the motorists briefly stopped for more passing trains.

That's exactly the biggest downside to not overlapping the lines. As inconvenient as the transfer between Blue and Gold is, the same should not be planned between Blue and Silver. Walking 3 minutes each transfer every trip adds up to a lot more time lost by those already experiencing a longer transit-based commute than the motorists briefly stopped for more passing trains.

Okay that being said.

1. How many people will use the transfer point?
2. How would using the blue line row slow down the train at those sharp turns and add time anyways?

With the 2. I would rather if it is a real option simple take it down Tryon St. Instead. Anyways the people taking that transfer would likely just want to go further down toward south end from the silver line anyways I would think. This would turn Tryon into a LRT thoroughfare but it would run the silver line right through the heart.

3 hours ago, kermit said:

This could go in any number of threads (affordable housing, UDO etc.) but this one was handy.

from a twitter discussion on “what city have you changed your mind on?” While Charlotte was never mentioned, this post on Vancouver seemed particularly relevant to Charlotte. This is exactly what I see Charlotte doing, much to my frustration:

7BB5EF54-31B9-4E81-A631-F819601D847C.jpeg
its extra frustrating in Charlotte since I moment has been here for more than twice as long as Vancouver’s.

I'm unclear on what that means - is there some way Charlotte is uniquely failing to grow and meet a moment in some way that a benchmark of other cities is meeting it (apart from quality and brand value of its public schools)?

Edited by RANYC

6 hours ago, JeanClt said:

1. How many people will use the transfer point?
2. How would using the blue line row slow down the train at those sharp turns and add time anyways?

1. A lot of those transfers now happen at CTC, but with Silver Line, several east and west bus routes, including the highest ridership bus routes, could more efficiently connect outside of Uptown

2. Not significantly slower than curves already planned on Silver Line, like around North Graham Street