CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red Lines

monsoon

How can anyone look at this image and not immediately think “lets just run this thing on the removed 277”?

Hey, we could run it through anything and an infinite number of ways. That was just a solution that literally got two stations neck and neck for the “most convenient transfer” between the lines.

Its not a big surprise but council members are now talking about the transit plan as if it is now dead. I suspect that a new one will be assembled after the election.

https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/politics/flashpoint/a-fatal-mistake-councilman-describes-citys-misstep-transit-plan/275-364e8bb7-ac16-428c-9a33-14a3110ed8c5

11 hours ago, JeanClt said:

Hey, we could run it through anything and an infinite number of ways. That was just a solution that literally got two stations neck and neck for the “most convenient transfer” between the lines.

My apologies, I wasn’t criticizing your suggestion (all transit ideas are good ones!), I was just pointing out my visceral reaction from the image. 

• Like 1

Its not a big surprise but council members are now talking about the transit plan as if it is now dead. I suspect that a new one will be assembled after the election.
https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/politics/flashpoint/a-fatal-mistake-councilman-describes-citys-misstep-transit-plan/275-364e8bb7-ac16-428c-9a33-14a3110ed8c5
My apologies, I wasn’t criticizing your suggestion (all transit ideas are good ones!), I was just pointing out my visceral reaction from the image. 

That’s interesting about the council…

Also, I didn’t mean it as if I took offense. Your idea would also be a great one! What I meant by that reply was that is was a solution to the argument of an easier transfer point between the blue and silver line but still taking on mostly it’s original LPA. To fix the 3 minute walk issue some were concerned about, I suggested just run the line all through 9th or 10th and have the stations be “literally” either stacked or side by side. That way it’d be a simple walk over would be the most convenient possible but generally keeping the LPA intact without merging the two lines.
  • Like 2

this is great story about where the transit ridership across the board stands now.  Some are thinking it will never recover due to flexible work schedules and less than full work weeks.   As for a study mentioned at the end of the story that needs to be done.

https://www.wfae.org/business/2022-05-05/with-charlotte-back-to-work-more-people-are-riding-light-rail-but-local-bus-ridership-isnt-growing

• Like 2

Interesting take on Indianapolis' BRT on Carolina Impact this past week.

https://www.wtvi.org/pbs-charlotte-carolina-impact-season9/

I haven't been to Indy in quite a long time, and was surprised at how much it has grown.  Compelling reasons here as to how and why BRT could work here as opposed to LRT.  Cost notwithstanding.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, kermit said:

current CATS management has shown themselves to be genuinely incompetent.

I learned today the current director of CATS Rail Ops was the former head of WMATA's ROCC, and a news article I read had this to say about him:

Metro has had repeated issues with employees not following procedures and management personnel instructing employees to bypass protocol, in the ROCC facility. WMSC audits and orders in the past note that management, including former Senior Vice President Lisa Woodruff, and former ROCC Director Deltrin Harris, themselves violated or instructed controllers to violate safety procedures...Harris left Metro to become General Manager of Rail Operations and Facilities at Charlotte Area Transportation System (CATS).

https://ggwash.org/view/85085/new-management-and-procedures-but-safety-lapses-persist-at-the-metrorail-control-center

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

Not that we don't want to fund everything... but transit will have some competition in 2023 for the minds / dollars of voters. CMS is working to put a $2 billion capital improvement plan before voters for new schools and remodels in 2023. Unfortunate that transit could not have made the 2022 election just to spread out the asks for multi-billion dollar investments out among voters rather than all on one ballot. 

We are getting close to the mid-point of 2022.... a what point is a 2023 referendum on transit not able to happen due to the General Assembly not giving the greenlight for us to raise taxes by popular vote? Seems like city council and the General Assembly is more focused on winning their elections right now and it is a distraction from getting consensus on getting this on the ballot. 

Edited by CLT2014

1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

Not that we don't want to fund everything... but transit will have some competition in 2023 for the minds / dollars of voters. CMS is working to put a $2 billion capital improvement plan before voters for new schools and remodels in 2023. Unfortunate that transit could not have made the 2022 election just to spread out the asks for multi-billion dollar investments out among voters rather than all on one ballot. 

We are getting close to the mid-point of 2022.... a what point is a 2023 referendum on transit not able to happen due to the General Assembly not giving the greenlight for us to raise taxes by popular vote? Seems like city council and the General Assembly is more focused on winning their elections right now and it is a distraction from getting consensus on getting this on the ballot. 

Last I heard, the referendum which will be likely front-loaded messaging-wise as a roadway improvements & regional greenway system buildout initiative won't be until 2024. This is why there have been so many delays in its movement. 

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, kayman said:

Last I heard, the referendum which will be likely front-loaded messaging-wise as a roadway improvements & regional greenway system buildout initiative won't be until 2024. This is why there have been so many delays in its movement. 

Got it. How much of the tax increase is going to roads?

• Like 1