CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red Lines

monsoon

21 hours ago, kermit said:

They are building a second platform in Salisbury which will increase capacity for all types of passenger rail a bit.

Commuter rail from Gateway station, east (to Salisbury and Spencer) is very feasible thanks to the tracks being owned by the NCRR. West of Gateway is a different story since the tracks are owned by NS. There has been very little talk of commuter rail on any of these tracks however. I suspect some of the reasons for the silence include:

• Some duplication with the BLE
  • The current Charlotte rail station
  • Cabarrus and Rowan have expressed little interest (or identified any funding)
  • A desire not to ‘irritate’ NS and make them fear more interference on the NCRR leased tracks (more traffic on the NCRR is part of the reason for NS intransigence on the Red Line)
  • I-85 being somewhat less congested than 77

Having said that, Gateway station is on the horizon, I am sure I-85 will be gridlocked shortly and Cabarrus and Rowan will want a better connection to the the region’s core. The Triangle is about to get started on commuter rail on their (less congested) portion of the NCRR, its success will play a huge role in determining the future of commuter rail from Charlotte to Salisbury IMO.

Dang I’m jealous of the Triangle for this reason (as well as a few others).  Not sure how well commuter rail will work in that very decentralized /diffuse metro area. 

• Like 1

Thankfully, Charlotte is becoming a large city when development more naturally happens around transit. In this way, Charlotte is blessed with timing, or to have not built out too much until development trends also shifted to be more urban. Still, Charlotte is also coming of age, when highways are not expanding as quickly and funding harder to come by.  I think this policy context means that transit should be designed around ridership first and minimize cost, while still incorporating good station area planning second.

• Like 2

On 6/24/2022 at 8:45 AM, DMann said:

I like his take on the Mobility Plan being a “Transit Zoo”.  I wish Charlotte/CATS had focused on LightRail Build-Out 20 years ago instead of focusing on the StreetCar.  After that maybe BRT could’ve been a focus instead of the StreetCar too.  Just seems like the funding / construction hurdles are insurmountable at a time of very little federal grants & funding now.  SMH…..

On 6/24/2022 at 8:45 AM, DMann said:

*shrugs* Can he convince the City of Charlotte to give up CATS to form a fully-staffed regional transit authority with transportation professionals of various disciplines from transit, land use, real estate acquisition & management, environmental compliance, service planning, engineering, long-range planning, fleet/infrastructure  maintenance, and cerified transit vehicle operators? Expecting a COC department to act like a regional transit agency is a fools errand.

Yeah I didn't think so. If he's not trying to convince his competent colleagues & peers  to run and get more pro-urban state legislators elected to the state capitol in Raleigh then his criticisms are hollow. That's what's wrong with NCDOT, the NCGA doesn't want to properly fund it.  Most of his criticisms sound like armchair quarterbacking without any practical, politically doable solutions in this effed up, anti-urban, political environment.  

Edited by kayman
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, rancenc said:

OMG! Are the elected city leaders this clueless. 

Citizens keep electing the same people over and over too. To be fair though, it is a part time role to serve on city council, they only have 2 year terms so the council is hitting "reset" often, and it doesn't sound like CATS leadership (that has full time higher paid jobs than just being on council) has been particularly forthcoming / transparent about the relationship. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

Citizens keep electing the same people over and over too. To be fair though, it is a part time role to serve on city council, they only have 2 year terms so the council is hitting "reset" often, and it doesn't sound like CATS leadership (that has full time higher paid jobs than just being on council) has been particularly forthcoming / transparent about the relationship. 

Maybe it's City Management as opposed to City Council. 

Something seems broken in how City Management briefs Council on the state of the union. 

Council (our Board of Directors) always appears to be scrambling or have gaps in knowledge.

Sure they're part-time, but I don't even see a mention of this 3rd party in the Financial Reports.  

I also wish the city used a 3rd party auditor to provide "performance metrics" or KPIs to Council for major departments funded by the City's Enterprise Funds.  Frankly, the Financial Reports are too sales-y.  All these glossy images and celebration of what's been done the past year.  Would rather know what needs improvement, where there are breakdowns in internal controls, and where various "enterprise" risks may reside.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 3

On 7/15/2022 at 12:10 PM, RANYC said:

Maybe it's City Management as opposed to City Council. 

Something seems broken in how City Management briefs Council on the state of the union. 

Council (our Board of Directors) always appears to be scrambling or have gaps in knowledge.

Sure they're part-time, but I don't even see a mention of this 3rd party in the Financial Reports.  

I also wish the city used a 3rd party auditor to provide "performance metrics" or KPIs to Council for major departments funded by the City's Enterprise Funds.  Frankly, the Financial Reports are too sales-y.  All these glossy images and celebration of what's been done the past year.  Would rather know what needs improvement, where there are breakdowns in internal controls, and where various "enterprise" risks may reside.

These two posts offer some serious insights into some possible solutions to these part-time city council and currently fortified from citizens' oversight city management and departmental setup. It's like the city management is untouchable under current municipal government setup. I've said for awhile now that Charlotte has long outgrown its council-manager form of municipal government. 

Edited by kayman
  • Like 1

Just a lack of accountability all around:

In an interview, Graham was told CATS buses carried 23.9 million passengers in 2014.

“Do you have any idea how many they will carry this year?” he was asked.

Graham began thinking about the impact of the pandemic and estimated 15 million passengers.

He had no idea that it was 5.9 million.

Graham then asked: “Where did all the people go?”

It’s a critical question — and one that CATS hasn’t shown much interest in answering.

CATS Chief Executive John Lewis declined to be interviewed for this story.

In an interview in May, Jason Lawrence, a senior project manager for CATS, said that he wasn’t aware of the transit system studying why ridership dropped by one-third even before COVID-19.

“I don’t have an answer for you on that right now,” he said.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Wow....
"More than a quarter of bus routes cost CATS more than $20 per trip, meaning it would be cheaper to put many passengers in an Uber."

"For instance, crosstown route 28, which goes from the old Eastland Mall to South Park, cost $28.50 per trip. It had 764 scheduled departures in March and 1,958 total passengers."

I had no clue the bus system was SO messed up in Charlotte. Completely failing to get people to where they need to go and now starting to just burn money. The comment in the article about "progress" was interesting... like maybe declining ridership means more people have the funds to own a car and stop being trapped in their area reliant on buses to get them out?

Edited by CLT2014

I would be interested in what cities are models for CLT. More specifically, cities with similar layouts and densities with high personal vehicle ownership or the ability to own one. How did they convince people to leave cars at home and serve those who cannot afford one or cannot drive due to age or other issues.  Is it a combination of a higher focus on commuter transit and micro transit/on demand shuttles where ridership is low or non existent? I don't reliability or frequency is the main issue. 

• Like 1