CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red Lines

monsoon

21 hours ago, RANYC said:

An improvement in the app would be to communicate hiccups right in the app instead of having to go and search for what's wrong on twitter.   Once in the app, I can adjust settings to push through notifications of issues right onto my phone screen. 

Suppooosedly they are working on implementing an app feature that will cross out trips if they aren't running for some reason (primarily staffing). Having said that, their "rider alert" system has never seemed to work very well, especially for unplanned problems. 

• Like 2

On 8/30/2022 at 2:42 PM, kermit said:

I do understand that the current labor market is very difficult, but to what extent is the current hiring crises beyond CATS's control? Other public agencies are able to maintain sufficient staff to maintain basic service levels. It sounds like there are enough CMPD officers. Waste Management (a private contractor, but...) still manages to pick up trash and recycling on schedule. Charlotte water still has crews out repairing leaks. Hospitals (also private but...) still appear to be well staffed. CMS, while struggling to hire teachers, has not had to say "we are cutting school days from 5 to 3 per week". 

I am genuinely curious, what makes it harder for transit agencies to hire than other public agencies? Or are staff shortages just more visible in transit?

(Honestly if a CATS staffer approached me on a train one day and asked "you want to drive this thing?" I would probably say yes)

Noted in today's Ledger

image.png.4539487d07b74a271ba7b15ccb9ac26d.png

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, kermit said:

I have already found this to be both useful and reliable twice since @tozmervo 's post yesterday!

I may have spoken too soon on reliability. Neither of the two trains I have seen today appeared on the tracker (but others, including 2 that appear to be in the South service yard, do show up.)

Edited by kermit
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, kermit said:

I may have spoken too soon on reliability. Neither of the two trains I have seen today appeared on the tracker (but others, including 2 that appear to be in the South service yard) do show up.)

I don't understand why it's so hard to have a reliable GPS tracking system???

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kermit said:

I may have spoken too soon on reliability. Neither of the two trains I have seen today appeared on the tracker (but others, including 2 that appear to be in the South service yard, do show up.)

Maybe that's why they haven't officially announced it yet. Some trains haven't been fully equipped. 

• Like 2

I also agree with combining metro card-accessible services into a single category + showing them together on system maps. That means Gold+Blue lines on current maps, along with future lines too. 

I know Boston goes so far as to include its Silver Line in T maps - which is entirely a bus route that goes underground sometimes. Admittedly I was rather confused when I rode it this past summer, but I also would probably have never even been aware of the option to take it if it wasn't on those maps of the T.

On 9/21/2022 at 1:24 PM, tozmervo said:

CATS has rolled out their fare capping program. This doesn't likely effect anyone that reads UP, but it's a huge deal for folks that are reliant on transit and can't otherwise afford the up-front cost of a monthly pass. It makes sure they aren't penalized for not having $88 to spend on the first of the month. 

CATS Launches a Seamless Savings Option with Fare Capping (charlottenc.gov)

From what I understand fare capping only works for those that purchase tickets in the cats app and does not count towards people who purchase physical tickets or pay with cash. Cash users make up the majority of riders. 

9 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

This data has been discussed here prior but it applies to public transport as well as private. Charlotte is the least grid-like, most disordered city in the world studied  by this research. Even to ancient cities grown from walking paths we are astoundingly difficult to organize. I myself recall that on arrival I discovered after six months of wandering here, that no element of order was available to assist in recalling how to reach one location to another. Memory of prior experience was the only way. There is no short cut from one place to another as there is no straight course, unless one goes from one location on Tryon to another. Every route is a "short cut". All the rest is personal experience and preference and the preference of one person is different, perhaps no better, than the preference of another. How to integrate a public transportation system in this collection of random interstices is more than my feeble mind can consider.

https://geoffboeing.com/2019/09/urban-street-network-orientation/

Can I propose on thing that might upset a few inhabitants of this planet: Let's not combine, alter, or move uptown streets any more than we have to from the little grid that we still have. We compromised Mint Street for the stadium, we compromised the streets that go around our coliseum, and then, lately there's been discussion of altering the area of North Tryon, College and Belk freeway for a soccer stadium. 

• Like 2

On 9/26/2022 at 9:26 AM, tarhoosier said:

This data has been discussed here prior but it applies to public transport as well as private. Charlotte is the least grid-like, most disordered city in the world studied  by this research. Even to ancient cities grown from walking paths we are astoundingly difficult to organize. I myself recall that on arrival I discovered after six months of wandering here, that no element of order was available to assist in recalling how to reach one location to another. Memory of prior experience was the only way. There is no short cut from one place to another as there is no straight course, unless one goes from one location on Tryon to another. Every route is a "short cut". All the rest is personal experience and preference and the preference of one person is different, perhaps no better, than the preference of another. How to integrate a public transportation system in this collection of random interstices is more than my feeble mind can consider.

https://geoffboeing.com/2019/09/urban-street-network-orientation/

Charlotte is a series of concentric circles around the urban core.  Honestly, it is annoying for local trips off the circular routes.  However it's nearly impossible to get lost in Charlotte though due the circles. 

Edited by kayman
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Windsurfer said:

Can I propose on thing that might upset a few inhabitants of this planet: Let's not combine, alter, or move uptown streets any more than we have to from the little grid that we still have. We compromised Mint Street for the stadium, we compromised the streets that go around our coliseum, and then, lately there's been discussion of altering the area of North Tryon, College and Belk freeway for a soccer stadium. 

Perhaps we can cap the freeway with a soccer stadium