CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red Lines

monsoon

On 11/26/2022 at 11:12 PM, JeanClt said:

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/us-74-express-lanes-i-277/Documents/U-6103-project-handout.pdf

It’s just the toll-lanes on independence….it is a known project that I’ve seen discussed in the highway thread (Edit: I lied, I’ve seen the southern section from 485 up to Idlewild but this other section is a continuation of it anyways). Also in the link I provided you can see the typical section between Idlewild and 277 and see that no widening is taking place along the places the silver line is running. The lanes that are currently there are the same as the one portrayed in the typical section. What is happening is that where the busses used to run now will be a toll lane. Likely will have a BRT situation like the planned I-77 BRT on those toll lanes. So…I’m not sure if you’re misinformed, but this doesn’t affect the silver line’s alignment much at all. I doubt that NCDOT would purposefully ignore the SilverLine.

Wow, that is a whole lot of planned express lanes. Very northeasty. Didn't realize even the beltline would be getting some.

Atlanta's transit system has always struck me as odd. Gotta be the smallest heavy rail system in the country, right? It's basically two lines that happen to branch off of each other for a short distance at each end. Feels like they just refused to expand it since its initial construction.

Now that I think about it, maybe Miami actually takes the crown. I believe it's just one single heavy rail line there, and IIRC it's losing ridership.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

45 minutes ago, Reverie39 said:

Atlanta's transit system has always struck me as odd. Gotta be the smallest heavy rail system in the country, right? It's basically two lines that happen to branch off of each other for a short distance at each end. Feels like they just refused to expand it since its initial construction.

Now that I think about it, maybe Miami actually takes the crown. I believe it's just one single heavy rail line there, and IIRC it's losing ridership.

Los Angeles, Miami, Baltimore, Cleveland come to mind as smaller Heavy Rail Systems.  (2019 Annual Ridership on the far right). (Sorry for pics, I love Mass Transit so I can't resist lol)

image.thumb.png.5ef5f940ff6f8a0b5fbc58a21b2ad9ba.png

Baltimore and Cleveland I believe are just 1 line each. LA is two lines that merge together. Purple Line is currently being further expanded. That's their own heavy rail though.

LA Heavy Rail Map:

Los Angeles Metro Rail > Metro Red Line

Cleveland:

Cleveland Transportation | Soul Of America | Cleveland

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Los Angeles, Miami, Baltimore, Cleveland come to mind as smaller Heavy Rail Systems.  (2019 Annual Ridership on the far right). (Sorry for pics, I love Mass Transit so I can't resist lol)

image.thumb.png.5ef5f940ff6f8a0b5fbc58a21b2ad9ba.png

Baltimore and Cleveland I believe are just 1 line each. LA is two lines that merge together. Purple Line is currently being further expanded. That's their own heavy rail though.

LA Heavy Rail Map:

Los Angeles Metro Rail > Metro Red Line

Cleveland:

Cleveland Transportation | Soul Of America | Cleveland

Wow, I had no idea Baltimore and Cleveland's systems qualified as heavy rail. I always just assumed they were light rail that ran partially underground. I assume they were part of much larger system plans before the decline of the Rust Belt hit those cities very hard.

Just now, Reverie39 said:

Wow, I had no idea Baltimore and Cleveland's systems qualified as heavy rail. I always just assumed they were light rail that ran partially underground. I assume they were part of much larger system plans before the decline of the Rust Belt hit those cities very hard.

Baltimore & Cleveland both have separate Light rail systems too.  But their heavy rail lines are definitely HRT in every way.

At least in the case of Baltimore, yes - it was part of a larger plan (below)

The Multi-Modal City - Baltimore Magazine

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Baltimore & Cleveland both have separate Light rail systems too.  But their heavy rail lines are definitely HRT in every way.

At least in the case of Baltimore, yes - it was part of a larger plan (below)

The Multi-Modal City - Baltimore Magazine

I am very glad they didn't end up naming their airport "Friendship"

On 12/1/2022 at 11:39 AM, Reverie39 said:

I am very glad they didn't end up naming their airport "Friendship"

They actually did. It was originally called Friendship International Airport until it was renamed Baltimore/Washington International in the 1970s. Friendship served as Washington's international, jet airport until Dulles opened as jets weren't allowed at National at the time. 

In any case, Baltimore's subway system is quite sad. The line in its present format is essentially the NW line on the map above, with the light rail being the N/S line. It's effectively a train to nowhere, and doesn't have any formal transfer opportunities to the light rail line. You can see knock-out panels at the Charles Center station downtown to see where the E/W line's platforms were supposed to be. 

Baltimore got almost a billion dollars in funding from the Feds a couple years back to build the E/W line (although as light rail, though it would operate in tunnels downtown) until for the outgoing Republican governor to cancel the project and redirect state funds to projects in Western Maryland. I'm hoping that with new leadership in Maryland that the project eventually resumes. 

Edited by LKN704
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Raleigh Business Journal has a new article concerning the proposed Commuter Rail in the Triangle.  Saying that Proposed Future Construction Costs have ballooned.  After the DOLR collapse, transit enthusiasts there May be in for some restless nights.

Just don’t understand why Mass Transit nowadays is just so hard to get done.

38 minutes ago, kermit said:

1) Project cost creep is a huge problem, but these  cost increases apply to roads as well. Cost creep for Triangle commuter rail is particularly egregious since the project is being built on state-owned tracks that already carry 10 passenger trains per day.

3) No one is bothering to consider the cost of not building transit -- cities are going to get crushed by auto dependence. The Triangle is going to pay now or pay later...

Auto expansion is so much more expensive and there is no limit, no cost that people will ever find astronomical. When a highway needs extra lanes and every bridge and intersection needs rebuilt. No one ever bats a damn eye how outrageously expensive that is. No one says to just build another highway on a cheaper route. No one ever says “well just don’t connect 77 & 485 because it’s too expensive to have the connect. People can get off on on W.T. Harris Blvd. And then get on 77 North bound”.

As I always moan and groan, people are accountants over mass transit but ignore snow plowing, police patrols, car accidents, traffic lights, etc. 

Dallas & Houston show you can have 7-8 million people and people be perfectly happy than to “waste” money on mass transit, etc. So ultimately, I think unfortunately, Triangle residents, stakeholders & community activist as a whole have to decide what they want their future to look like. If that’s a sprawling auto-oriented metropolitan area I mean. It is what it is. I don’t see Charlotte or Raleigh reaching a point where they choose mass transit out of necessity. It doesn’t even really seem like Houston or Dallas have gotten to that point. Austin, for example, they seem to be self-imposing smarter growth on themselves and it seems really driven by the community. Personally, I believe Charlotte was like that previously up until Vi Lyles. I think Vi is perfectly fine with the Charlotte being a good place to raise a family, low cost, safe, good schools. But I don’t see her being the champion for urbanity and reaching the next level like previous leaders did. That’s not a bad thing. I just don’t think she is a huge champion of urbanity. But I haven’t lived in Charlotte for a while so maybe I’m just out of the loop of what kind of leader she is 

• Confused 1

I’ll tell you it’s easy to be a an urbanist in an election when you are trying to disrupt the system, once elected council members have no real incentive to actually perform. Council members have learned that when they support NIMBY policies the NIMBYs vote for them and the “urbanists” don’t pay enough attention anyhow. Egleston stayed fairly urban leaning and see what he got?The residents of the city either need to MAKE urbanism a defining political subject so that council makes it one, or they need to pay more attention outside of November and vote in and support fresh candidates that support urbanism until council gets the message. 

Edited by Guest

On 12/5/2022 at 5:55 PM, Hushpuppy321 said:

Raleigh Business Journal has a new article concerning the proposed Commuter Rail in the Triangle.  Saying that Proposed Future Construction Costs have ballooned.  After the DOLR collapse, transit enthusiasts there May be in for some restless nights.

Just don’t understand why Mass Transit nowadays is just so hard to get done.

Raleigh City Mayor is aware of the challenges and has added several comments since that article came out that she's steadfast in support for the rail project and the project will be major topic in the upcoming Raleigh City Council Retreat and  the Mayor has added herself to the GoTriangle board starting today. I think the Triangle Commuter Rail project has way more support and enthusiasm behind it than any previous failed attempts. Triangle metro has been visionless for so long it's hard to gauge how much influence a pro-transit city/county government will have getting the project going.  

Still could fail but any future attempts will obviously cost more and more. 

• Like 1

On 12/5/2022 at 8:40 AM, LKN704 said:

They actually did. It was originally called Friendship International Airport until it was renamed Baltimore/Washington International in the 1970s. Friendship served as Washington's international, jet airport until Dulles opened as jets weren't allowed at National at the time. 

In any case, Baltimore's subway system is quite sad. The line in its present format is essentially the NW line on the map above, with the light rail being the N/S line. It's effectively a train to nowhere, and doesn't have any formal transfer opportunities to the light rail line. You can see knock-out panels at the Charles Center station downtown to see where the E/W line's platforms were supposed to be. 

Baltimore got almost a billion dollars in funding from the Feds a couple years back to build the E/W line (although as light rail, though it would operate in tunnels downtown) until for the outgoing Republican governor to cancel the project and redirect state funds to projects in Western Maryland. I'm hoping that with new leadership in Maryland that the project eventually resumes. 

Jeez, that is a travesty. Baltimore is a beautiful and historic city but you'd think proud Marylanders would want their flagship city to see some recovery from the bad couple decades it has had. Crazy that any would want to take funds away from a possible major improvement to the city... but I suppose it's example number 10,000 of the urban/rural divide. Western Maryland residents probably feel like urban eastern Maryland gets all the attention leaving them with nothing.

21 hours ago, carolina1792 said:

Raleigh City Mayor is aware of the challenges and has added several comments since that article came out that she's steadfast in support for the rail project and the project will be major topic in the upcoming Raleigh City Council Retreat and  the Mayor has added herself to the GoTriangle board starting today. I think the Triangle Commuter Rail project has way more support and enthusiasm behind it than any previous failed attempts. Triangle metro has been visionless for so long it's hard to gauge how much influence a pro-transit city/county government will have getting the project going.  

I agree as someone with lifelong connections to the Triangle, I sort of scoffed at any of the previous transit attempts but this one seems very possible. Commuter rail on existing tracks was a good idea, relatively easy to make it happen logistically/financially and maybe will give Triangle residents a small taste of local train transit, could have them itching for more in the future.

So it was pretty clear this week at Council's Transportation Committee that the LPA will remain unchanged in Uptown. Granted, the alternatives have been designed for failure. For some reason, Shared Blue Line didn't include a continuation west at Carson, thereby disconnecting West Phase B. And ultimately, Shared Gold Line is being conceived as too large of a reconstruction, such that Uptown interests see too much pain for the gain.

If the LPA holds, i just hope the 9th St to 11th St transfer is at least improved. While Councilmembers are hardly transit riders, they should at least try out transferring between Blue and Gold Lines to see if that's really what actual riders depending on transit should experience regularly on their already too long travel times when an even worse design "connects" Blue and Silver Lines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Where did you get the info that Mayor Baldwin has appointed herself to the GoTriangle board? I live in the Triangle and follow this pretty closely, and this is the first I've heard of it.

4 hours ago, orulz said:
On 12/6/2022 at 11:08 PM, carolina1792 said:

Where did you get the info that Mayor Baldwin has appointed herself to the GoTriangle board? I live in the Triangle and follow this pretty closely, and this is the first I've heard of it.

This Tuesday's City Council meeting. 

I for one am glad that the LPA still stands.  I think it’s the best option - I’m just not very confident that the NCGA will grant the area the right to hold a referendum concerning a Sale Tax Increase to fund the Light Rail expansion.

Just throwing a fact out: You stand by this even though your low confidence that the NCGA will grant Charlotte a sales tax increase. This is despite this section alone estimated to probably cost a Billion to design and construct. A billion more that the city would need to afford when funds are hard to come by as things currently stand. - Leaving my own opinions aside as much as possible -
  • Confused 3