CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red Lines

monsoon

Edit: this is in reference to Kermit's post about meck. Seems like you can't add a quote as an edit? 

Obviously silly but damn wouldn't it would be fantastic? 

When I lived in Vermont, prior to it becoming progressive, there was a strong (relatively, 20%?) movement to go to Canada. It was fun to discuss but really? Now a days it wouldn't be so fun - instead the a militia would form! 

Edited by elrodvt

Agree, especially 1,4,5!

It could be salvaged if the mayor steps up politically, we find a less regressive funding model slowing gentrification and CATS leadership is suddenly invigorated.

Seems pretty unlikely we can pull all that off? Especially funding which I assume would need state help. We don't exactly have any visionaries stepping forward.

Maybe the climate just isn't right  and we should focus on buses (job 1), train frequency and moving towards a no fare system. If everyone was proud of CATS the fight with the state would be winnable. 

In summary, I'm not sure I'd even vote for it! So I can imagine what people who don't follow the topic think. 

• Like 1

True, McCrory was a  (the?) major supporter of the Blue line. I was at East West station on the day of the first official run. I was in my historic looking  motorman outfit, with motorman cap, bow tie, vest with pocket watch, fob and chain and as the train came through he was in the cab standing beside the operator and we waved at each other. 

In other McCrory domain news he uttered the famous "South Boulevard is a corridor of crap" comment, truly a pithy synopsis of the very thing. He also supported sidewalks in new and existing parts of the city.  He ran interference on the transit (Blue line) tax when individual members were unlikely to take the lead. The Republicans (there were such on Council then) and Democrats stepped aside and allowed him to be the lightning rod for such issues as he could speak for the city and provide  cover for individual council members and give them a sense of the city mood while they kept their own counsel (pun). He was thus politically valuable to all members.

For latecomers I remember him being upset at televised meetings when there were bottles of purchased water for each member and he could not understand why they were not drinking city water, the most basic city service to any citizen. Walk the walk, to use the hackneyed phrase. The space in his head which was occupied by good sense was vacated and repopulated by ambition.  He became the only sitting governor in NC history to lose re-election*. Now he is on a radio talk show no one listens to.

*support for 77 toll lanes likely sealed that fate.

• Like 4

Politically not to supersede the limit of relevancy to this thread the polarization of the parties have lead to choosing sides in the majority. Back to transit…it is relatively perceived as a dem/liberal base support which leads rep/conservative to swing to the opposition. The polarization has become a dividing and tripping our neighbors from shear spite. When transit has the ability to solve problems on either side of the scale and voicing concerns and proposing reasonable solutions to say Gentrification…and density. Density keeps rural areas rural and stops sprawl and clogged roadways that cannot support that capacity. Transit makes that density possible and efficient. Transit has fallen into this polarizing social phenomenon when it has the potential to benefit all sides equally and in different ways. Gas tax/registration alone isn’t paying for all roads. So even people who are not driving are paying for roads (These people benefit in other ways not to be mistaken for otherwise). Transit can and is the same way.

Transit should not be a dividing issue, yet it is. It is ridiculous in my opinion that we can’t agree on transit and would rather divert money to add more roads that we are barely managing to maintain btw. Versus rail infrastructure which will reduce car ridership and reduce strain on our roads so less maintenance and less congestion. Transit isn’t magical. These benefits can be enumerated.

“Let’s also think about why land values increase around transit….something becomes valuable as it’s supply and availability is significantly under met by its demand. If a majority of Charlotte had access to transit, it wouldn’t be scarce and would otherwise generally be ubiquitous and generally land values would probably increase marginally in those areas hypothetically (I should look into that…see what’s in the literature about transit availability/access vs it’s impact on land values). Policy could help unsustainable land value growth for those with income unable to keep up.”

^This is more of and written thought than statement^

I’m sure there are other layers of complexity I am unaware of and specific details I’m missing, but overall transit should be a reliable and available public asset or a city. Cars included. For some reason people think you’re trying to take their cars away when someone mentions transit…even the most well served cities by transit still rely on cars and trucks and other road vehicles. People need to stop looking so closely at the infrastructure itself and look at all the benefits/solutions it brings while also avoiding the assumption that having transit is at the expense of cars.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, RANYC said:

I’d agree with this assessment.  I’ve actually stopped paying attention to transit plan updates because I do believe it’s dead.  

I’m disappointed that there wasn’t a clear and convincing strategy for transit implementation before this mayor and former council approved $50 million in funding for design.  I think more work should have been done on Raleigh and public engagement to boost confidence levels in a capital-intensive plan before committing $50 million in funding for what’s turning out to be a phantom line.  

I believe the leadership model in the city is broken.  I’ve said it before and will say it again that this mayor has got to go.  She is a terribly poor and incoherent voice, IMO, and I don’t see her rallying the troops whatsoever.  I know she’s part-time and ceremonial in certain respects, but she is woefully inept in communicating enough to rally anyone behind anything likely to be seen through to completion.

If we can get out of this debacle at least funding a rail line from uptown to the airport terminal to event venue Bojangles Coliseum, I’d be happy.  I believe you could have gotten the corporate community as big boosters for a multi-dimensional transit strategy, but I do believe that engagement capacity was squandered by a hastily-organized, ill-conceived mayor’s equity initiative which has used a buzz word to amass funding for deployment that won’t solve anything.

Do you know what it would take to change how we're governed? Is it yet another thing the state needs to approve and thus isn't possible unless the assembly flips? If so, don't see that happening anytime soon. I'm assuming that simply because it's change the GOP would be against it.

9 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

We don't seem unified and only the most pro-transit enthusiastic people (like this board) seem really excited about the Silver Line.

Even with this piece, you could add point #9 around transit advocates not like the routing along 11th Street through Uptown (I think it is the best option personally). So much of this flows from #1 though, particularly with out bad the Streetcar has been.

• Like 1

From a recent edition of Carolina Impact concerning BRT lines.

The shots at Charlotte in the beginning were low blows LOL. The comment about Charlotte not knowing how to pay for it is not necessarily true…more like people in the state stand in the way. Comment about The Charlotte Amtrak stations and Union station being better in comparison is true. We kind of walked into that one with some the delays in CGS and S-Line indecision.

Lots of good points about BRT one thing I could have said to improve the transit plan is maybe include funding for more BRT around Charlotte especially on major roads like route 49, 29, 16, 27. In this case I wonder why (probably because of cost) why they didn’t just run brt off route 21 or 115 to the northern towns. Which would also serve camp north end more easily as well a minor plus. I can kind see some accommodation issues with many properties encroaching on the road…more so on 115 than 21. Which seems to have the room on most of the stretch to accommodate BRT lanes. I’m guessing this was heavily weighed on cost.

I agree with the former CEO said tho! Why not both. Narrator kinda pooped on our idea of light rail.
  • Like 2

as Ron Tober former CATS CEO said is Charlotte's light rail plan all about development or is about it ridership?   I have said for a long BRT needs to be rolled out in multiple corridors in Charlotte and maybe even down Independence towards Matthews.  Many cities with and without rail are implementing BRT like San Francisco, Atlanta,  Houston, El Paso etc.    I thought transit was about moving people and giving people an option not just a development tool.  Nashville has no BRT or light rail and they have development everywhere in the central city.  

• Like 4

Maybe we need to scrap the idea of the Silver Line and just do BRT from Matthews to the Airport and along some other Corridors like the long proposed Red Line and maybe Central Ave..  I still support extending the existing Blue Line to Ballantyne and upgrading to 3 Car Platforms.  These modest proposals as well as the planned Express Buses proposed for Future Toll Lanes (I-485, I-77 & Independence Blvd) would be a much more affordable alternative.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kermit said:

North Meck BRT is currently in the design phase (CATS is calling it ‘MetroRapid’). It will run in the toll lanes and it serves as a replacement for the Red Line. Its express running pattern means that it will provide faster trips than the Red Line could have. I am not sure of construction start date for it.

I think Metro Rapid is an excellent plan, but it only works because of the toll lanes guaranteeing no traffic on the vast majority of its route. But since those lanes only exist in one place (thanks to the decision to get rid of the dedicated lanes on Independence) BRT in other parts of town is going to mean some very hard choices and either pissing off car commuters or building just another slow bus.

Many of us have forgotten that we have had an operating BRT line in town for 15 years, Sprinter service to the airport (CATS refers to it as ‘enhanced bus’). CATS made zero hard choices with this route so it runs in mixed traffic and, other than slightly wider stop spacing  is nearly as slow as regular buses. Unfortunately I fear the Sprinter represents what CATS is most likely to build for BRT (a branded bus, some crappy (but better than nothing) stop sheds and onboard payment). Sprinter shows us just how useless BRT can be when it is half assed, and I still maintain that even the best BRT is a waste since it is so easy to downgrade into regular bus service (see Cleveland Health Line for an example of vanishing BRT. It still exists on maps but it only runs every 20 minutes and now uses on board payment which really slows it down)

It may not be statistically rational, but one force working against CATS and against transit's prospects in general is the growing fear of public assembly and shared spaces in this country.  The news of mass shootings and mass shootings themselves traumatize people in ways we don't even count.  Fear and insecurity in this country are endemic, and I think it's a significant variable in keeping at least a growing measure of people in the confines of their vehicles when they can help it.  

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 3