CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red Lines

monsoon

5 hours ago, kermit said:

North Meck BRT is currently in the design phase (CATS is calling it ‘MetroRapid’). It will run in the toll lanes and it serves as a replacement for the Red Line. Its express running pattern means that it will provide faster trips than the Red Line could have. I am not sure of construction start date for it.

I think Metro Rapid is an excellent plan, but it only works because of the toll lanes guaranteeing no traffic on the vast majority of its route. But since those lanes only exist in one place (thanks to the decision to get rid of the dedicated lanes on Independence) BRT in other parts of town is going to mean some very hard choices and either pissing off car commuters or building just another slow bus.

Many of us have forgotten that we have had an operating BRT line in town for 15 years, Sprinter service to the airport (CATS refers to it as ‘enhanced bus’). CATS made zero hard choices with this route so it runs in mixed traffic and, other than slightly wider stop spacing  is nearly as slow as regular buses. Unfortunately I fear the Sprinter represents what CATS is most likely to build for BRT (a branded bus, some crappy (but better than nothing) stop sheds and onboard payment). Sprinter shows us just how useless BRT can be when it is half assed, and I still maintain that even the best BRT is a waste since it is so easy to downgrade into regular bus service (see Cleveland Health Line for an example of vanishing BRT. It still exists on maps but it only runs every 20 minutes and now uses on board payment which really slows it down)

I thought Independence would still have dedicated express lanes? When did that change? 

11 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

I thought Independence would still have dedicated express lanes? When did that change? 

It may not have, but I thought they decided to remove the dedicated bus lanes from the inner portion of the freeway years ago and I assumed that meant the end of any kind of dedicated lanes on Independence.

27 minutes ago, davidclt said:

I think MetroRapid is a fatal-half-measure . . . If it ran on a 15-minutes headway throughout the day from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. I would be inclined to agree. Three morning runs and three afternoon runs isn't a service as much as "playing transit."

Damn, I had thought the express buses were planned for high frequency, all-day service.  I will admit I am not following this project very closely.

They are planning on pouring an awful lot of concrete for 3 runs a day.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, tozmervo said:

AFAIK, the plan is still to have a single express lane in each direction from 485 to 277. The existing bus lane between albemarle and 277 would be this express lane. 

Video linked from NCDOT: U.S. 74 Express Lanes: - I-277 to Idlewild Road Photos & Videos

As an architect who has made videos of this nature before, the graphic alone is impressive. However, this illustrates that we'll all be in the ground before this project is completed.

• Like 1

I wonder how much the relatively soon-to-be technological advances in automobiles/busses/etc (self-driving cars, 5G -enabled autonomous caravans, etc), and current cultural non-public transit options like Uber/Lyft factor in on the “failure to plan” on LRT/BRT?  Or is really just a fundamental philosophical difference in the public’s role in providing transit?  Let’s face reality- cars do take us places fixed transit pathways never can, and people generally like to travel on their own terms.  Don’t get me wrong- I absolutely love using subways in DC, NYC, etc…I just wonder if the lack of any plan has something to do with future tech.

How the hell is the Raleigh BRT phase 1 and future phases being financed?  I think they said 99 Miles of planned BRT Corridors could total 900+ Million.  Anyone know their funding source?  Just angry that NCGA could block/prevent this region from having a Referendum for potential Sales Tax Funding.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

How the hell is the Raleigh BRT phase 1 and future phases being financed?

On the local match side, Raleigh has a similar local sales tax funding source that Charlotte-Mecklenburg already has in place.  Similarly, CATS could pursue BRT in multiple corridors for way less than the now $9 Billion Silver Line,

• Like 3

12 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Cars can’t get you around large dense urban cities and fixed mass transit can’t get you around sprawling low dense suburban cities without being annoying. Using mass transit to get around in Charlotte or Houston/Dallas/etc is as annoying as using a car to get around in NYC or DC. Next time you go to NYC. Give using only your car a try and try to go to a post office, a grocery store, a hardware store, and visit a university. Park at each place and get out. It’s not convenient and is costly if you use parking decks assuming they even have parking available which is hardly ever (it’s on street parking for lots of stuff). 

DC & NYC couldn’t exist if it had the mass transit of say Houston unless something drastic happened to the population of the cities.  

60600119-96FE-4A7C-8CA0-B6927A7D6FCA.jpeg.53e680efa1d67942150a22f69839c80d.jpeg

Future tech doesn’t effect the need of an all of the above approach to transit (with rail being the backbone) for dense cores.

You can’t have the below density without a lot of mass transit. So either Charlotte will remain low dense even as it swells to 7 million if ever with tons of highways, strip malls and low density or it could invest in mass transit & be walkable with smaller roads.

45A519C6-5399-408E-9012-27BE2A92B67C.thumb.jpeg.f0882242eceb5a0b9d0c649b6c7514f2.jpeg

Seriously, some of you are going to be waiting like 40 years to become as “massive” as say Houston with the expectations of being like a Seattle. 

I’d venture that most of the people of Charlotte do not want the density of the picture you’ve posted above.  It is a vision state that would be roundly rejected.

Charlotte growth forecasts will flatten out if infrastructure and policy don’t accommodate the increases. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kermit said:

I agree, most people don’t want that density where they live, but I think most would be happy to have it elsewhere in town. Fortunately for us we have pockets of town that are fine with the higher densities (Southend, West Morehead, Northend). Although it helps that most of the new density is popping up in disused industrial space, so no one feels like it is ‘their’ neighborhood. Admittedly we have other in town pockets that seem to abhor higher densities, NoDa comes to mind. Perhaps its history as a mill village where residential and industrial were intentionally commingled is the difference. 

I also agree that there is little hope of overcoming NIMBYism that would block density without transit provision. We are (IMO) frozen in amber if we don’t expand transit.

EDIT: I also think we are on the cusp of large scale suburban decay  (much like the urban decay of the 60s-70s). This decay is going to be driven by maintenance cycles (not everyone is going to want to pay to replace the roof again and will move out) and obsolescence  cycles (a smaller share of people will be willing to pay for auto dependence). The suburban equivalent of industrial decay will be the loss of brick and mortar retail. The dead mall phenomena will spread the contagion of decay for miles. All of this has played out already in East Charlotte.

The suburban areas that experienced this decay are also likely to welcome new density.

Fortunately, since density is only going to be embraced in a handful of locations, connecting those nodes with transit should be easy...???...

Honestly, I disagree with that too.  I'd venture that most Charlotteans don't care for or want Manhattan-like density even in Uptown or anywhere in Charlotte.  They may not block it, but I'd speculate they aren't desirous of it.  Sorry, but some of this density worship is strictly UP bubble talk.  I'd speculate that folks here would be fine with Munich-style or Hamburg-style density, in pockets, if they felt it created interesting spaces for the region, for tourists, and for growth in the professional/skilled classes.  We're far from Hamburg-style density and there's much to be done to even achieve that, but personally that's a vision-state I'd be in support of.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I agree with you & your previous posts but where I disagree about “urban bubble talk” is when the merits of transit or merits of certain urban policies are questioned rather than the fact it’s just not the priority or will of the voters (gerrymandering or not) or their elected representatives. 

It devolves into “well light rail isn’t effective, most people drive, future technology” and gets twisted into denying certain things that would benefit Charlotte. Silver Line light rail, for example. it’s one thing to be against Seattle level  of density  and prefer growth that encourages places like Ballantyne, Indian Trail, future River District because a lot of people do like those neighborhoods. Big house, nice yards, great schools, shopping centers are cute with good materials, HOA’s, neighborhood swimming pool type culture, pretty exclusive usually income wise. Etc. There’s nothing wrong with that.

Charlottes definitely not going to be a dense city. But it can have corridors of high density & commercial space served by light rail. Instead of strip malls, make it more of an urban village with Multifamily TOD. The Nimbys get a nice little urban village with say Pottery Barn, a grocery store, a little mini town center or whatever gives them a slice of urbanity while maintaining their low dense neighborhoods. Put a Wegmans at a (future) light rail with apartments on top, safe sidewalks, TOD and I’m sure south Charlotte NIMBY’s would be fine & like it, urbanites would be fine & like it, etc. 

A strategy of making a couple of light rail lines in Charlotte and trying to make commercial retail stay around the light rail stations and serving urbanites at the station and the people who will never take mass transit and don’t ever go uptown would be a win-win. We can’t have those discussions though if the merit of light rail is denied in and of itself.

There are low density areas in the DC region dominated by people who prefer low dense neighborhoods. But almost all of their retail (including Walmart, wegmans. Whole Foods etc vertically integrated into Multifamily) around metro. A lot never want to go to DC or the dense suburbs because parking etc but I’ve never heard one person complain about these urban wegmans of Walmarts etc out there. They actually love town centers lol (or “urban villages” as usually called in Meck.)

The area below serve all the single family neighborhoods and are served be metro. Those suburbanites are fine with that TOD and most use it because there aren’t strip malls located throughout the area. 

49ED6AFB-9DC7-44F3-88A6-80DEA64709AB.thumb.jpeg.021b33ab25c9de17b0e086e419bb3231.jpeg

For Example:

6AFB2EB7-F922-4F3A-B77E-740E4A5D7997.thumb.webp.1136cd8a8f5d582f897284bb2add1a98.webp

I think that portion of VA is a similar approach Charlotte should take and I think it would be good for all constituents and not just urban nerds. But even that like. If we don’t have light rail, it won’t help commuters, won’t encourage as much (TOD) density, etc so. The silver line is important. 

I was just thinking of DC as I read the above comments and couldn't agree with your point more. I think the DC area, particularly Northern Virginia, is a great model for how Charlotte could realistically strive to grow with a balance of low and high density, under the assumption that it will never transform itself into fully high-density city.

Northern Virginia is so unique because you can go from quiet wooded single family home neighborhoods to highly urbanized pockets in seconds. I really like the idea of just having these pockets erupt around transit in Charlotte. The Blue Line is already seeing this and I think it stresses the importance of the Silver Line too so it's not just all stuck in one corridor. I also think commuter rail would help this a lot because of how those railways go right through the downtowns of Charlotte suburbs. Could transform those little downtowns into dense commuter neighborhoods with plenty of local things to do too, like a Reston, Tysons, Rockville type situation in the DC area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, MarcoPolo said:

A quick reply to RANYC and AirNostrum's exchange.  I understand the gist of what each of you are each trying to say, however, both of you conflate observational points that contradict the direction of the argument you make.   RANYC, I believe the density you picture in  your mind, ie: hyper density, aka, Manhattan, is not one you even need to invoke as part of your commentary.  Almost all the residential and hip neighborhoods in NYC are Hamburg/Munich scaled in massing.  The visual bulk of Manhattan's skyline is not were many people live...it is where many people work.  The vast majority of the City's residents live in 2 to 7 story walkups in fantastically walkable mixed use neighborhoods.  The taller the built form, the less pleasing the walkable environment in  almost every case.  Midtown Manhattan does not hold the charm of any of the neighborhoods that surround it.  It's definitely a fun place to hang out in, but when you are in the hands of a New Yorker, or urban aficionado, leading you to the latest amazing restaurant, park, theater, boutique hotel, or even their home, you almost certainly are not doing so in midtown or downtown Manhattan.  The densities you should envision and support, and for that matter all UP'rs should have in their minds eye, when we speak of density, are places you rightly refer to, such as Hamburg.  I would add Paris, Barcelona, and Milan on the denser scale, and Bruges, Savannah and Charleston on the lower scale as bookends.  Yes, that's right Savannah and Charleston.  Did you know that Charleston south of Calhoun St averages 40 units to the acre, all at 2 and 3 floors max with beautiful tree canopies, deep courtyards and pedestrian scaled streets and blocks.  Try finding that in Charlotte over an equivalent area!  Density should never be thought of as how tall the buildings are.  It is not the normal living condition for most of the planet's population.  The high rise cores and districts of a select few cities on Earth are the aberration to the norm.  Density is best baked at 2 to 6 floors.  With that massing over a large area you can accommodate amazingly high residential densities in beautiful environments; and as described in my post about office square footage earlier, this scale also supports amazing concentrations of office space, aka DC.  These are the densities real urbanists talk about when addressing all things related to city building, from transit to open space, to housing.   Skyscrapers are urban elements to be dealt with and accommodated with special care, not a goal to be achieved.  As one off objects they are exciting to look at, but should never be fetishized as the building form for city development. 

Appreciate your posts, your attention to detail, and your reasoning.  Lived in multiple neighborhoods from 2004-2018, so know NYC quite well.  Yes, there are somewhat pleasant low-rise and mid-rise neighborhoods in NYC, particularly for the urban affluent, but from South Bronx to Jamaica Queens to even Brighton Beach, the high-rise human warehousing and tree-less concrete-scapes exist in so many parts outside of Manhattan and house so many, and I still believe are not a density objective that most Charlotteans would want or support, and I don't see anything contradictory in that assertion.  I also don't believe that NYC, even ex-Manhattan, is at all comparable to Hamburg based on my time spent in both places.  

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 4

And miss out on our share of a "once in a generation investment in transit"?

I don't disagree as i don't think they'll do anything effective anyway but we need to keep in mind that this means Charlotte falls another step behind competitors who actually have their act together. 

• Thanks 1